The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 20, 2007, 07:12 AM   #1
bigbang121167

38 Special rounds

Hi,

I am new to hand loading and would like some advice from experienced loaders. I am trying to load .38 special rounds for my Marlin 1894cs. The Lee loaders handbook gives standard loads but the bullets that I was sold don’t appear to match the ones in the manual. The rounds are coming out longer than a factory loaded round 1.463 as aposed to 1.430 but still under the 1.550 max overall length. I have loaded the first 10 with 3.5 grains as in the Lee book. I have not fired them yet as I wanted to check first.

The materials I am using are:
Bull’s-eye powder
38 special cases
.357 158 grain lead bullet truncated cone shape
Pistol primer.

thanks,
Old February 20, 2007, 11:52 AM   #2
Crazy4nitro

*Posted For Reference only*

I just loaded and shot 158 LSWC's over 3.6gr of Bullseye,standard small pistol Primers,overall length was 1.545 and they shot very well. They had a good amount of recoil for a .38 but I imagine they would be great in a rifle.

Crazy4nitro
Old February 20, 2007, 07:11 PM   #3
TEDDY

38 Srecial In Rifle

I Would Use Either A Round Nose Or Swc.provided The Swc Would Feed.is That A Jacketed Truc.that Weight Seems Like An Older Bullet
Old February 20, 2007, 09:50 PM   #4
rnovi

BigBang,

As a rule, with any revolver cartridge you crimp to the groove (cannelure) on the bullet. Different bullet molds may move the cannelure about a bit, as will different bullet weights, which may change the OAL (over-all-length) a little bit. As long as you don't excede the maximum OAL that the gun can handle, you should be ok. And given that your rifle will also shoot .357 mags, you should be ok given that the .357 mag is significantly longer (1.590 OAL, IIRC.) than the .38 specs you are loading.

Crimp to the groove. The OAL is secondary in your case. As a general rule, the factory that made the bullets (or bullet mold) has already taken OAL into consideration.

"Remember, Eagles may soar but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!"
Old February 21, 2007, 05:14 AM   #5
bigbang121167

Thanks,

Thanks Guys,

I have set the bullet depth to put a small crimp in the annular grove. Because I am basically a chicken I have made a dummy round (no primer or powder) and run it through the rifle. It worked fine as you predicted. I figure I can keep this as a set up tool for the press if I ever have to change it. I am off to the range on Saturday to give them a try.