The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 31, 2006, 03:17 PM   #1
Columbus Archer

Need a very accurate load for 40

Can you point me in a direction for a very acccurate factory load? I haven't started reloading yet and will take some time to refine my load.

I'm shooting a glock model 23 40 cal.

Thank you,

CA
Old January 31, 2006, 03:23 PM   #2
Handy

Most companies make a "match" or "target" round. You could try those.

Though, I don't think there's much point with a 23. Glock .40s just aren't very accurate.
Old January 31, 2006, 03:36 PM   #3
Bobarino

SOME Glock .40 SHOOTERS just aren't very accurate.

there. fixed it for you. Glock .40's are plenty accurate when the shooter does his/her part.

as for accurate loads, most of the premium JHP's are about as accurate as you're going to get in a factory load. try a few out and see which one(s) group better from you and your gun.

is this for competition or are you just looking for an accurate defense load?

Bobby
Old January 31, 2006, 03:43 PM   #4
BUSTER51

Winchester Ranger or Speer gold dot in 165 grain jhp are well thought of by most.
Old January 31, 2006, 09:34 PM   #5
Columbus Archer

I'm going to start shooting GSSF comp this year.

I've got to agree, it's not the gun as much as the person behind it.

Thank you for the advice.
Old January 31, 2006, 10:34 PM   #6
Number 6

Carry ammo gets REAL expensive

REALLY quickly.

Try Sellier & Bellot by the case if you want to compete in GSSF (or anything else) and don't want to reload.

My Glock 23 was quite happy shooting my 175 LSWC ammo. Hard-cast lead, with frequent cleaning and jacketed ammo at frequent intervals kept lead fouling to a minimum.

No Ka-Booms.
Old January 31, 2006, 11:13 PM   #7
HSMITH

I have been having really good luck with Zero 180 JHP bullets and Tite-Group.

If you want accurate 40 ammo buy the Redding Competition seating die, it has tightened my groups more than anything else I have done.

Handy, I have a 40 that will do under an inch at 25 yards, and my bone stock G22 will do 2" at 25 yards. 10 shot groups too, no 3 rounds cheater groups. 40 WILL shoot well.
Old February 1, 2006, 12:26 AM   #8
#18indycolts

federal 165g. shoks
Old February 3, 2006, 01:56 AM   #9
MontyCop05

ca,

I shoot a glock 23 myself, its my ccw for now and also my duty weapon. I love the damn thing. The Glock is very accurate if you know how to shoot it properly. I use fed gold hydra-shocks, and fed american eagle fmj for practice rounds. I have no problem blowing out the q at 25yrds. When i went through the academy, the firearms award went to a glock 23 shooter, same ammo. In fact all the high scores out of 60 in my class were all glocks with 1 or 2 sigs mixed in. Overall the glock shooters did better than ne1 with sig, s&w, or berettas. (there were equal # of glock and sig shooters).
Old February 3, 2006, 06:09 AM   #10
WESHOOT2

good-ammo Glocks

IME 40 S&W Glocks average under 3" @25 yds, regardless of model.
Some shoot real well.

Suggest looking here: www.georgia-arms.com
Old February 3, 2006, 08:09 AM   #11
Pharley

I mainly shoot Gold Dots, 180gr, and have never had a problem with accuracy. However, I rarely go out beyond 100'. Actually I rarely go beyond 40', but the 100' shots are fun. So yes, the Gold Dots.
"Out of every ONE HUNDRED men, TEN should not be here, EIGHTY are nothing but targets, NINE are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they the battle make. Ah, but the ONE, ONE of them is a WARRIOR, and he will bring the others back."
Old February 4, 2006, 10:50 PM   #12
Columbus Archer

Thank you! I appreciate all the insight!
Old February 4, 2006, 11:18 PM   #13
model 25

I don't know if you want to listen to this but here goes I have shot IDPA alot. Seeing how guns work with all different kinds of shooters from the beginner to the champs. I also see the constant pounding over the years of most guns. It gives one an opinion. I would rather have their 9mm for accuracy, not only do they shoot very straight but run very well.

Glock 40s are great guns and work well. They have an odd trigger that some people can master and others can't. Their sites are not clear and crisp as they are a combat weapon made for close pistol distances. Most people who first buy these have a great deal of trouble with accuracy and settle for large groups. ( hey that's close enough for combat )

When you get together for some informal fun after a match and move the targets back a ways the average glock man suffers a bit On the range it only hurts your pride

What is the answer to a good accurate round for your 40 glock? Well pick a quality bullet and learn where your Glock will throw it.

I like Glocks but not the 40. Just an old mans opinion so don't get upset

Old February 5, 2006, 01:13 AM   #14
campbellcj

FWIW my G23 -- which admittedly I have not fired a whole lot (relatively speaking) -- seems to do well with Remington Golden Sabres. I have tried at least 6-7 different types of ammo in it and this has been the most consistent.