The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 18, 2009, 10:34 PM   #1
TonyAR308

Lee die set. Hard to work with?

I attempted to purchase a Lee 3 die set for my 25-06. Very wierd transaction that didn't work (that's another story). I just read, while googling, that the Lee collet die set was hard to work with and took some tweaking. Can anyone chime in with their experience? Will RCBS dies work in Lee presses? My Lee stuff is still on backorder, since Dec 24, so it really wouldn't hurt my feelings to back out of the order but the deal I got on the kit was outstanding. I am not opposed to buying piece by piece at this point. I just want items I can work with as a beginner.
Old February 18, 2009, 10:43 PM   #2
welder05

I have found Lee to be an easy set to work with. I reload for the 25:06 and use the collet die for neck sizing the brass used in my gun. You will need the full lenght die as well for new brass or brass fired from another gun. The collet die takes a little time to adjust and get used to using. But once you done that it will become your favorite and Lee's collet die has a great reputation. Finally RCBS dies will work in your Lee press. Good luck
Old February 18, 2009, 11:16 PM   #3
CrustyFN

Quote:
My Lee stuff is still on backorder, since Dec 24, so it really wouldn't hurt my feelings to back out of the order but the deal I got on the kit was outstanding. I am not opposed to buying piece by piece at this point. I just want items I can work with as a beginner.
If you haven't got any of your equipment yet you might want to check out www.kempfgunshop.com. I hear they are fast and very nice to deal with. Sorry I can't help you with the collet neck sizer, I load for a AR and have to FL size.
Rusty
Old February 19, 2009, 11:23 AM   #4
wncchester

"I just read, while googling, that the Lee collet die set was hard to work with and took some tweaking."

Well, it's different. It has a moving part. Some folks have trouble with that, and for them it's probably best they stick to one-part sizers!

If the user has any mechanical aptitude at all and can read, understand and follow directions, the Collet neck die really isn't difficult to use. It's possibly the best neck sizer available, at any cost, with tens of thousands of happy customers out there!
Old February 19, 2009, 12:11 PM   #5
Qtiphky

Collet Neck Dies

While I haven't used them for your caliber, I have used them for .308 and .270 this past fall. Keep in mind that you can only used brass from the same gun it was fired from originally (fire formed). That said, I found them easy to use and they really increased the consistency and accuracy of my reloads for my two guns.
Old February 19, 2009, 04:26 PM   #6
ryalred

Have had no problem with mine. Seem as easy as my Lyman and RCBS.
reloading -- addicted
Old February 19, 2009, 09:16 PM   #7
Inspector3711

For rifles I reload .223, .22-250, and .25-06. I got my .22-250 last and bought a Lee die set with the collet die based on a friends recommendation. After seeing how the collet die worked and how accurate the ammo I made was, I added a collet die to my Redding sets for the other two rifles. It's no more difficult to set up but it is different. Inside the die is a bushing that cycles the collet. Your shell holder presses the bushing up causing the collet to clamp down on the case neck. This means that after the shell holder touches the bottom of the die you keep pulling the handle and watch the bushing go up inside the die. Inside the neck is an arbor. The collet closes on the brass which is supported inside by the arbor. It centers the hole in the neck without stretching the brass. I see it as similiar to a drill chuck.

Bottom line is more accurate ammo, less trimming, and longer case life. Buy it. Fire form a bunch of FL sized brass and then you can use the collet die.
Old February 19, 2009, 09:28 PM   #8
TonyAR308

Thanks. This forum is perfect for getting good information without hidden agendas. I'm sticking with Lee and will purchase the dies.
Old February 19, 2009, 10:48 PM   #9
amamnn

As Wncc, mentioned, some folks have a hard time visualizing how the collets work in both the Lee neck die and the factory crimp die. but they do, honest!

The temptation to over-crimp with both dies (you could call the Lee neck die a neck crimper) is the second problem folks run into, once they get them working.
Old February 19, 2009, 11:48 PM   #10
Inspector3711

I might add that for the run of the mill die, I still feel Redding is the best. That said, the last three full sets I've bought have been Lee. They work just as well and produce great ammo.
Old February 20, 2009, 09:31 PM   #11
HShack

Lee collet dies

I like my Lee collet die now, but initially, I had a problem. When I seated the bullets, they were loose. I had to pull out the mandrel & polish with fine emery cloth - success!
Old February 20, 2009, 10:31 PM   #12
Unclenick
Staff

TonyAR308,

If you peruse the Lee web site or follow my link you will find they have a full compliment of help videos. There is one for the collet die as well as for setting up all their other dies. Just read down through the list.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle