The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 29, 2002, 11:50 AM   #1
Mike Davies

Walther P22 problem...anybody else?

My brother purchased a new Walther P22, and has had an annoying problem with the pistol every time he fires it. After about 20 or 30 rounds, the rollpin that goes across the rear of the slide just in front of and under the thumb safety begins to "walk out" of the slide from right to left. It causes both the safety lever to become jammed, and the gun to become non-functional. We believed this to be an isolated problem until the Range Warden at our range told us he was experiencing the same problem. Contacting Walther Canada and Carl Walther GmbH has gotten us the same answer. It's the first time that they've heard of this happening.....
Does anyone else own a P22 that has the same problem?
I'm very close to buying a new P99, but am a bit put off by this apparent defect in this particular P22. The dealer from whom my brother bought the gun insists that my brother "did something" to cause this....

Mike
Old January 30, 2002, 09:22 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

This problem is common on a lot of pistols. The roll pin is slightly undersize for the hole. I would replace it with a solid pin and if that one tries to walk you can take a cold chisel and hammer, put 2 good dents on the side edge 180degrees apart on one end. That will peen the end of the pin out and make if fit the hole tightly. George
Old January 30, 2002, 09:55 AM   #3
jimc

i have over 150 rds through mine and (knock knock) no issue with it as of yet. but i will keep an eye on it .only issue i have experienced so far is that on of the mags feed lips needed to be opened up a little as it was restricting feeding of rounds.
my partner also has about 150-200 through his and nothing as of yet on the roll pin issue but will also keep an eye on that one too.
Old January 30, 2002, 11:44 AM   #4
Mike Davies

George:
I suggested a solid pin and "staking" when the roll pin first started it's "walking" (I'm no gunsmith, but I am an auto mechanic...), but this pretty much horrified my brother, who finds it hard to believe that a German-made ANYTHING could have a problem. I'll try replacing the rollpin for him first, then if the same thing happens again, we'll go with the solid pin as you suggest.
It's a terrific little pistol otherwise. Thanks!

jimc:
Thanks for your response....I'll pass it on to Joe that his problem may be isolated....It does concern me that the the RW at our range experienced the same thing....Perhaps a "bad" batch of pistols that were shipped to Canada? I will check both pistols' serial numbers and see how close they are. I noticed that the P22 will not reliably feed and fire Winchester T22 ammo, btw...I'll see if it's the mag lips that are causing this, although it fires the "better" ammunition, like Eley and Dynamit Nobel with no problems.

Mike
Old January 31, 2002, 07:10 AM   #5
JohnPL

Excuse my ignorance if this seems overly simple, but would a drop of guntite work? I would be hesitant to peen the pin, especially if I expected Walther or the dealer to honor any warranty.
Old January 31, 2002, 09:51 AM   #6
jimc

mike
i seemed to experience just the opposite on the ammo issue. it feed any winchester ammo i had, but didn't like the remington game loads i had also. then after the feed lip fix it feed them as well.
i find it interesting that you had an issue with the winchester ammo as any .22 i have owned the only ammo that worked everytime was the winchester brand, when other brands would not.
i too would be curious where you serial # range is too. mine is
B005xxx
as for the issue of "anything german made" i had a sig 230 that the roll pin on the frame would do the same thing and cause the slide to bind. short of welding it, nothing worked. that one went by by.