The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 25, 2010, 01:26 AM   #1
Ignition Override

Do you really want two of the same type rifle?

Now have two Enfield #5s, one #4, Yugo Mauser and a Garand.

Was tempted to buy a nice Yugo 48 at Saturday's show, but using those open sights is much more challenging than aperture sights.

If you have a duo, trio of a given type, is it partly because you have more luck with certain sights etc?
Old October 25, 2010, 06:55 AM   #2
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I don't have any "duplicates" in my collection.

I'm a big advocate of duplicates in working guns, however: If it's a gun you might use for self-defense, an expensive gun class, the big target match, or a long-anticipated hunting trip, it pays to have two or three. Guns only break when they're lonely, after all.
Old October 25, 2010, 08:50 AM   #3
jsmaye

It depends on what you mean by type, but I'd say yes. For instance, I have an M91/38 and two M91/30s. I still want a M44 and an M39. I have a Austrian Mannlicher Steyr - I wouldn't turn my nose up at a Hungarian one. I have a beech K-31 and want a walnut K-31.
Old October 25, 2010, 09:37 AM   #4
Claddagh

I'm with Tamara here. I don't have many duplicates in my modest accumulation. Those relatively few are almost exclusively the ones I've come to prefer as primary "go-to's" for SD/survival use.

My rationale, in brief: When it comes to essential gear, when you're liable to need it most, one of something = none should anything go wrong with it. At the very least, two of something can = one under those circumstances and that could very easily make the all the difference there can be on a really bad day.

Last edited by Claddagh; October 25, 2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old October 25, 2010, 10:47 AM   #5
pesta2

I have one Mosin Nagant M44. Wish I would have bought a bunch more when they were $70. I am still kick myself for not get a Mosin Nagant M38 when they were $70 too!
Old October 25, 2010, 05:19 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

The only true duplicates I have are Yugo 49/56 SKS rifles. I ordered the shooter grade trying to get one of the "graffiti" rifles that some Yugo dude had carved with his family crest or other personal markings. When the BBT brought the first one, it looked like brand new, unfired, and packed full of cosmoline. I ordered another a few months later, and got a similar SKS in like new condition. I only really want one Yugo, so some day I'll clean them both up, check them out, and keep the best of the two.
My other duplicates are M95s Not exact same rifles though. One is a Budapest, the other is an Austrian so they are different rifles of the same design.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 26, 2010, 04:27 PM   #7
Baba Louie

I'm Weak

I couldn't help myself back in '87/88 when the Swedes were first coming in and were so darned cheap, I had to get two M96s. Love em

Got a couple (or more) '03's, a couple War Babies, a pair of No2-MkIIIs & No4-MkIs, a couple Arisakas. Couple of K98s. A 96/11 and K31 (close buy not exact 2nds).

sigh

If only they could talk, they'd say I'm sick cause they never get out and make much noise anymore. To be fair, about half were my Dad's that I inherited, so maybe I'm only half sick.

What really makes me sick is that my kids don't really appreciate them or want them but I figure w/ 2 each, I can "will" them to son and daughter (or grandson). Let them get rid of the darned heavy old things.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old October 26, 2010, 07:29 PM   #8
gyvel

OCD: If one's good, five's better.
Old October 27, 2010, 07:56 AM   #9
madcratebuilder

There are so many variations of the No4 Enfield you could own well over two dozen without duplicates. The Yugo Mausers are similar, well over a dozen variations. The Swiss K-31's, not so much, about a half dozen well cover that model.
Old October 27, 2010, 08:14 AM   #10
Don P

Absolutely. I have 2 Mosin-Nagants. Each comming from the 2 arsenals in Russia. Advantage is same ammo.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 27, 2010, 08:36 AM   #11
jsmaye

Are milsurps (what I presume we're talking about in this thread) really your "go-to guns"?
Old October 27, 2010, 03:28 PM   #12
Don P

Quote:
Are milsurps (what I presume we're talking about in this thread) really your "go-to guns"?
Yep for now. The only long guns I own are the 2 Nagants and have all the confidence in them that they can do what may be needed in a pinch.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 27, 2010, 03:36 PM   #13
BombthePeasants

I own 2 each of the following: M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, SA 1911 Loaded .45ACP, and Ruger 10/22. I'm familiar with the manual of arms for each type, and if one goes bellyup, I'm ready to go w/ the other. I keep the more valuable one of each type locked away in long-term storage, and the other is the "shooter". I'm really happy I've been able to do it, and I recommend everyone having their guns in twos.

P.S. I am really bummed out that I've run out of money, because I dearly want another Garand, and now that the CMP has released the Service grade Winchesters, I'm almost depressed...BOOHOO
Old October 27, 2010, 06:17 PM   #14
Ignition Override

There is no "go to gun" for me, unless the Taliban or Hezbollah invade west TN.
They would not be shooting at our house from 100 yards away, standing between other houses.

Today on a business trip in Flint, MI, went into a Dunham's store for the first time, and they have some decent milsurp rifles: K-31, "RC" K-98s, Chileno Mauser (non-match) etc.
Gander Mt. has a so-so LE #4 and decent Czech VZ-24, but missing front sight guards.

My next objective is a second Garand and LE #4 (very few "non-screwed up" found near Memphis).
Old October 28, 2010, 12:29 AM   #15
Tikirocker

Damn straight my Milsurps are my go to guns ... I often out shoot modern sporting rifles that use scopes using only iron sights on my 1942 No1 MkIII* Lithgow Enfield, 300 yards the last time I did that. You should see the looks on peoples faces when you keep plugging that 5 ring ... as John Wayne once said' No brag, just fact

Tiki.
Old October 28, 2010, 07:47 AM   #16
jsmaye

Quote:
I often out shoot modern sporting rifles that use scopes using only iron sights on my 1942 No1 MkIII* Lithgow Enfield...
If you were able to outshoot someone's modern scoped rifle with your iron-sighted MkIII, it's probably because you're a better shooter. Not to say milsurps aren't accurate (I know they are), but to outshoot in those circumstances tells me the other person was outmatched, not the rifle.
Old October 28, 2010, 08:53 AM   #17
madcratebuilder

Quote:
"go-to guns" as in SHTF? It would depend on the given situation. A city dweller would need a different gun than someone living in the high plains.

I guess if I had a "go-to gun" for SHTF it would be one of my AR's, hi cap mags and light ammo. M1A would work also, a high capacity magazine in a semi auto just has more fire power. If I had to I could do fine with a Enfield or any mil-surp bolt gun.

Most guys I know that have a "go to gun" it's an AR or AK, both mil-surps.
Old October 29, 2010, 08:34 AM   #18
BombthePeasants

If the poop hits the fan, Then I'm building a catapult. That will be my go-to weapon. I'll use dogs and cats from the nearby animal shelter for ammunition. That way, I'll be environmentally sound!
Old October 29, 2010, 09:16 AM   #19
Tikirocker

Quote:
If you were able to outshoot someone's modern scoped rifle with your iron-sighted MkIII, it's probably because you're a better shooter. Not to say milsurps aren't accurate (I know they are), but to outshoot in those circumstances tells me the other person was outmatched, not the rifle.

I agree, but what that really tells me is that the only difference between modern rifles and a well set up Milsurp is the nut behind the bolt ... that is my entire point. There is no reason why a Milsurp ought not to be a go to gun.

Tiki.
Old October 29, 2010, 05:11 PM   #20
publius

Bombthepeasants, watched Monty Python Holy Grail lately?
Old October 29, 2010, 05:30 PM   #21
Ignition Override

Tikirocker:
The guys in the US who can attend a large gun show might see an original Enfield come in the door. If we attend six shows in this area, might see one.

Here in Memphis, at shows from Southaven MS to Jackson TN almost all LEs are messed up, but to be tactful, we say sporterized.

Last edited by Ignition Override; October 30, 2010 at 01:00 AM.
Old October 29, 2010, 08:26 PM   #22
jtb1967

Quote:
Quote:
I often out shoot modern sporting rifles that use scopes using only iron sights on my 1942 No1 MkIII* Lithgow Enfield...

I agree. I love old military rifles and have a large collection of them, but modern rifles are far more accurate as a general rule. Plus a number of the old rifles aren't quite they use to be 50 or more years ago due to wear, mistreatment, etc.

Last edited by jtb1967; October 29, 2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old October 29, 2010, 09:24 PM   #23
Tikirocker

Quote:
but modern rifles are far more accurate as a general rule

I have seen this proven wrong too many times to count ... the issue of accuracy is more to do with wear and accurizing than age or type. There are plenty of modern rifles that shoot average out of the box - all rifles can be made accurate given condition and the owners ability to accurize it.

My No1 MkIII shooting irons is no less accurate than a modern scoped rifle ... that's the point.

Tiki.
Old October 30, 2010, 08:15 AM   #24
jtb1967

"accurizing" then you're not talking factory rifles.

Production methods have gotten better with time. Factories as well as gunsmiths are able to produce more accurate rifles with modern methods than they could years ago. Take a look at average winning match results over the last 50 years and you'll see group size has shrunk significantly.

You could have a very above average Enfield or you could be shooting against people with bad rifles or guys that just can't shoot. Peep sights are great, but I'd have a hard time believing anyone can shoot the same rifle with a peep as accurate at 100 yards as they could with a good 36X scope.
Old October 30, 2010, 02:16 PM   #25
TX Hunter

I could understand why a guy would want some duplicates, Especially some of the nice rifles that are basicly new, but have been stored for years in cosmo.
Those rifles will only increase in value. Not to mention, its hard to get a the same quality, and value in modern produced firearms without taking out a second morgage.