The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 12, 2013, 08:55 AM   #1
Rkutcher

RL-25 with Accubonds

I am fairly new to reloading and am hoping some of the veterans here can clear something up for me.

I want to develop a load for my B78 7mm rem mag using noslers 140gr accubonds. When I check my speer reloading manual it shows using 65-70 grains of RL-25 for their 140gr btsp bullets. So my question is can I use that same load for the Noslers?

The reason I am asking is, most other sources I check don't show RL-25 as an option.
Old February 12, 2013, 04:49 PM   #2
hooligan1

When I load 140 grain Accubonds for my 7mm rem mag ,I use IMR 4831. It puts those dudes into a tight little group at 100yds, and the recoil is not bad. I bought a box and tested powder after powder, until I tried IMR 4831 I really couldn't get what I was after, and now I have only 20 loaded cartridges left.

As a sidenote the RL 25 is for heavier bullets, not saying that it wouldn't do nicely, but it's used with heavier bullets mostly.
Old February 12, 2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Mike / Tx

Normally when looking for data for a particular powder your going to run into this type of issue. It is simply way to costly for each manufacturer to test all components simply for one powder or another. Usually like you see a specific company will test the best overall powders with their own components. Speer usually uses CCI primers, and Alliant powder, and Speer bullets only, as they are all in the same family of companies.

Lyman however is probably about the best for producing load data for a broad line of powders and bullets overall. Even if they don't list the one in particular your using they still list several powders for a like weighted bullet. As long as your starting with the START load generally unless your working with a solid or one of the all copper bullets your pretty much in the clear loading for 140gr bullets using 140gr bullet data.
Old February 12, 2013, 08:27 PM   #4
Rkutcher

Thanks for the input gentlemen, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to do something stupid/dangerous
Old February 12, 2013, 11:42 PM   #5
reynolds357

Begin with the start load and you will be fine. RL-25 is not really the ideal burn rate for 7 mag.