The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 23, 2013, 04:21 PM   #1
P1090

What'd I buy? Stevens 77C

Just got back from my local gun store with a new friend. Hadn't even been planning to pick up a shotgun, but this little guy was everything I had been looking for at what I thought was a good price ($200 out the door). Quality and finish looks good, and I've fired a few rounds already and know it works. Problem is, I have no idea on the age of the shotgun. It's a Stevens Model 77C with no serial number. The employee who helped me out was guessing 1940s-50s era shotgun, which would be great, but I'm turning to you more knowledgeable folks for something more precise. Included are pictures of the roll marks, chamber, and loading gate, as well as an overhead shot. Please excuse my phone pictures, but it's all I have. I attempted to get as good quality as I could for you all. I'd appreciate any information you can give me.

Whole thing:

Rollmarks:

Chamber/Loading Area:

Old December 23, 2013, 05:24 PM   #2
Goatwhiskers

What'd you buy? A reliable older shotgun that's American made and all parts are available from Numrich if needed. The only weakness worth mentioning is the single action bar, it has been known on rare occasions to break at the notch that engages the bolt carrier plate. Parts are available, or I have been known to repair by welding. Just keep it lubed lightly and don't act like a ninja operating it and it will last you a lifetime. Speaking of ninjas, forget accessorizing it, those gadgets are not available for the older guns. GW
Old December 23, 2013, 06:05 PM   #3
P1090

Much appreciated Goatwhiskers. That's pretty much what I was hoping to hear. Wasn't planning on modifying it at all as I like it just as it sits now.
Old December 23, 2013, 06:09 PM   #4
SoilworK777

Nice purchase. There's no gun like an old gun.
Old December 23, 2013, 06:32 PM   #5
PetahW

FWIW, all Savage/Stevens arms, made from 1949 to 1970 were stamped with a Savage Date Code Letter, inside a circle with a number.

1949="A", 1950="B", etc - up to 1970="X".

Savage omitted the letters "I" & "O".

Your gun's model was manufactured between 1955-71, so if there's no Date Code Letter, it was most likely made in 1971.

Old December 23, 2013, 10:57 PM   #6
P1090

You can only barely see it, but there's a circle with some lettering written in the second picture, and it's a number followed by an A or an H. So either 1949 or 1956. Either way, I'm extremely happy to find that out. Thanks a bunch PetahW, you just made me even more pleased with my purchase. I think I'll hang onto this one for a good long while.