The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 6, 2013, 03:22 PM   #26
sc928porsche

There is usually no hunting on refuges and parks. Its been that way for a very long time. National Forests are another thing altogether. Sometimes special hunts were allowed on the refuge, but they were usually drawings and tightly regulated.
Old October 6, 2013, 08:00 PM   #27
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by Kimber84:

From what I was told by a DNR officer in Nebraska, all wildlife refuges and national parks were closed. National forests on the other hand are open to hunting so long as there is no gated entrance that charges admittance. Along with that all BLM land was still open.

That's straight from a horses mouth.
...and that was the point of my comment. I see other folks in this thread giving statements and comments about things they haven't a clue about. The fact is there are many National Wildlife Refuges open to hunting, without special hunts or permits....normally. Fact is, many of these and other Federal lands were closed last week because of political theatrics in Washington......not normal. There are many options out there for us to easily find out what is and what isn't correct or legal on these and other Federally operated lands. Folks don't need to guess, they just need to ask they right folks. The OP was trying to inform(and rightfully so) that some Federal lands were now closed to hunting and other recreational purposes that are normally open. No reason for those folks to accuse him and others of spreading unfounded rumors and misinformation when he was correct.
Old October 13, 2013, 08:37 AM   #28
kraigwy

Just to add:

I just got back from 6 days elk hunting in the Big Horn National Forest, Big Horn Mountains in Wyoming.

Not only was hunting allowed, but most of the NF Camp Grounds were open. The only exceptions were a few that are always closed in the winter. They are too hard to get snow removal equipment in.

Never talked to anyone who had problems. WY Game warden told me the NF, (in Wyoming anyway) don't seem to be effected by the shut down, although FS personal aren't working.

And before you ask, yes I got my elk.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 13, 2013, 11:15 AM   #29
tahunua001

with your 1903A4!?
Old October 13, 2013, 12:49 PM   #30
kraigwy

No sorry to say, when I shot the elk it was blowing rain and snow. The scope on the 'A4 isn't sealed and fogs easily.

I used my Model 70 Featherweight in 270 Win.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071