The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 16, 2011, 10:26 PM   #1
TheKlawMan

Jammed a 7th shell in a 6 shell magazine

While experimenting with different procedures for loading my 870, specifically while trying to load a 7th 2-3/4 inch round in a 6 round magazine, 4 round plus a 2 round extension, I jammed the action up good. Somehow I had wedged #7 part way into the mag and then compounded the problem when I tried to clear thinks by pulling the forestock back.

I cleared it by removing the magazine extension and dumping the rounds out of the tube. I thought it the safest way to clear the rounds. In an emergency is there a better way to clear a jam of that sort? (I think I read that such a jam can also occur when one half racks a shell and then tries to rack another and in such cases LEOs are trained to hold the but to the ground and to pull back hard on the rack. I beleive police 870s now have a split elevator that is supposed to prevent the problem.)
Old January 17, 2011, 08:55 AM   #2
psycho nut

I think not loading a 7th shell is a 6 round magazine would solve the problem.

I have short-stroked once and slid the shell back into the magazine with a knife. Probably wouldn't work in you overload the tube though.
Old January 17, 2011, 12:32 PM   #3
TheKlawMan

Yeah, psycho nut. I intentionally tried to feed the 7th knowing it wouldn't take but to see what would occur. The better procedure to clear the jam was what I was after. I didn't try a knife, but thought of it, thinking the safest procedure may be to release pressure by removing the magazine cap.
Old January 17, 2011, 01:34 PM   #4
flyinpolack

You probably tooled on your mag spring, & may need a new one now.
Old January 17, 2011, 01:37 PM   #5
Big Bill

Remember that "Curiosity killed the cat."
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old January 17, 2011, 02:08 PM   #6
pabuckslayer08

Yea, you may need a new spring. Dont try that anymore. I ran out of shells one day and my buddy had 3.5" and I shoot 3" so I grabbed 3 and they loaded right up so I thought cool im good to go. Well first shot she was all jammed up. Ended up cutting the plastic part of the shell away with a knife and smushing the brass down with pliars to remove the fired shell. The other 2 I just dumped out the end
Old January 17, 2011, 03:10 PM   #7
TheKlawMan

I doubt that I goofed the mag spring up as I didn't force things. It seems to feed fine, but will see how it performs at the ranbge. I will curb my curiousity.
Old January 17, 2011, 08:31 PM   #8
Dfariswheel

This is easy to do, because shotgun shells vary in UNFIRED length. Some shells are shorter than others and you can almost get a 7th shell in.

This is why many shotgunners install a Choate or Scattergun Tech extended follower.
The "tail" on the follower prevents forcing in the 7th shell.
Old January 18, 2011, 07:05 AM   #9
lmccrock

Depending on the gun, removing the trigger group can help solve the death jam.

Lee
Old January 18, 2011, 01:30 PM   #10
TheKlawMan

Upon reassembly I couldn't feed the 6th round into the magazine. Removed the spring and follower and didn't see any damage so I reassembled with care that the spring was nested inside the follower. Loaded 6 with no problem. Thanks to all for your advice.