The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 30, 2015, 07:28 PM   #1351
turkeestalker

My Ruger SP101 3" barrel has a cylinder length of 1.575" ... if that helps any.

I realize that some people don't see the point of the 327 federal magnum, while others like myself love it. Thing is, I shoot my 327 SP101 considerably better than I do my 357 SP101. I don't have any reasonable explanation for it, just know that I do. Combine that with one additional round in the cylinder and virtually no detectable difference between carrying either in my Kangaroo on a daily basis knowing the performance of the rounds... what's not to love?
I would so very much welcome the round chambered in a lightweight good quality lever action. Think I've said before that would be one of my 'grail' guns without question.
Old October 31, 2015, 01:16 AM   #1352
FrankenMauser

Thanks, turkeestalker.
Old October 31, 2015, 11:21 AM   #1353
weblance

Taurus M327 2" Stainless ~ 1.563"

Ruger Single Seven 7.5" barrel ~ 1.454"
Old October 31, 2015, 11:30 AM   #1354
Glenn E. Meyer

SW 632 - the ported SS comp'ed model.

4 cm with a pocket ruler.
Old October 31, 2015, 05:29 PM   #1355
FrankenMauser

Thanks guys.
Old October 31, 2015, 06:16 PM   #1356
Low Friction

Charter Target 4" 327 1.580"
Old November 1, 2015, 12:15 AM   #1357
weblance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Friction
Charter Target 4" 327 1.580"
I'm jealous
Old November 1, 2015, 05:42 PM   #1358
FrankenMauser

Thanks.

Anybody have a cylinder length for the USFA and Freedom Arms .327s?
Old November 6, 2015, 06:55 PM   #1359
Matt M

5 1/2" ruger single seven
Old November 11, 2015, 01:01 AM   #1360
heyjoe

I picked up my .327 LCR yesterday. I havent fired it yet. Initial impressions, I was surprised at how stiff the cylinder release button is. Closing the cylinder also requires more force than i am used to with either smiths or the ruger sp 101. The trigger pull is also feels on the heavy side to me. It does feel comfortable in the pocket in a holster.
Old November 11, 2015, 06:40 AM   #1361

Ruger single 7 stainless. I shoot .32 acp for target practice. Functions perfectly. I was shocked that the trigger pull weight was right for me right out of the box. I have 3 Ruger Blackhawks. I had to do a trigger job on two of them.
Old November 13, 2015, 07:02 PM   #1362
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
I picked up my .327 LCR yesterday. I havent fired it yet. Initial impressions, I was surprised at how stiff the cylinder release button is. Closing the cylinder also requires more force than i am used to with either smiths or the ruger sp 101...
I noticed this too and it seemed strange since I didn't notice it with the LCR 38. I'd be curious to hear from other people who've had this problem.
Old November 13, 2015, 11:28 PM   #1363
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I noticed this too and it seemed strange since I didn't notice it with the LCR 38. I'd be curious to hear from other people who've had this problem.
Mine was quite stiff, as well.

It's getting smoother as it breaks in, though. And as it gets smoother, it doesn't feel quite as stiff.

I haven't had been able to get to the range and put more rounds through it for accelerated break-in, but I load and unload the LCR about twice a day (always at least once - unloaded at bed time and loaded when I get up). I also dry-fire it every 2-3 days to help the trigger break in, which involves verifying that it's empty. So the latch has been cycled quite a few times already - probably 120-150, minimum.

I don't consider the stiffness to be a problem. It just takes a little more effort to open.

Plus... it probably feels worse than it really is, since I'm used to larger cylinder release latches that have better mechanical advantage, and distribute the force over a larger portion of my thumb -- such as on S&W J-frames, SP101s, and GP100s, in particular.
Old December 6, 2015, 12:23 AM   #1364
FrankenMauser

I still haven't made it to the range for a proper session with the 4" SP101.

It's killing me.

I pull it out of the safe almost nightly and dry fire it* for 5-6 cylinders' worth of imaginary ammunition. (*With once-fired brass, about half of the time, just to make sure the star is aligned properly.)

But, the weather's improving. Aside from meaning it'll be reasonably warm in the mornings (only 25-30 F, instead of 5-10F), it also means that the road to the range will be nasty once the sun comes up. And a nasty road means more time with the range to myself, before the first idiot shows up.
Maybe tomorrow or Monday. Maybe...
Old December 6, 2015, 02:28 AM   #1365
Sevens

Second! Second idiot!
Old December 6, 2015, 12:17 PM   #1366
FrankenMauser

Old January 12, 2016, 05:02 PM   #1367
FrankenMauser

I finally made it to the range with the SP101 4".
I took the LCR, SP101, and GP100. The Blackhawk had to stay behind to hold down the "Ruger shelf" in the safe.

TL;DR: I had fun, but the SP101 is going back for repair.

It was cold and breezy, at 14 F with 10-15 mph wind. Not terrible, but not as nice as the May and June mornings at 50-60 F.

The GP100 did what it does. Bang. Hole in target. No drama. No surprise. ...Actually the best I've ever shot with it.
It only saw the 100 gr AE factory load.

The LCR was surprising. I've shot it before - not much, but enough to be familiar - but today it got put away very quickly. With cold hands -- and, brace yourselves, I'll probably never say this again -- it was quite painful to shoot. Honestly, it hurt like a sum-B. I made an effort to finish off the cylinder, but put the revolver down, cussed a bit, and shook my hand like Peter Pan in an Elementary School play for a good 30 seconds.
Other loads might not have been as bad as the 100 gr AE factory load, but that's what I fed it. It was a day of recoil comparison (for two .444 Marlin rifles, as well), so I figured everything would get the same baseline.

The SP101 will likely supplant the GP100 as my favorite .327. It's a joy to shoot. It's just as tame as the GP100. And, even with the heavier trigger pull and grips that don't really work for me, I shot it better than I shoot either the GP or the Blackhawk. Plus... I have speedloaders for it. Who doesn't like speedloaders?

With 100 gr AE factory fodder, .32 S&W Long "BB gun" loads (94 gr lead @ 480 fps), and .32 S&W 'hot' loads (94 gr lead @ ~850-900 fps), I was managing about 2-3" at 8.5 yards. While not impressive to anyone else, that's pretty good for me - especially with a 4" barrel. (Remember, I'm a rifleman. I don't spend much time with my handguns.)

The SP101, however, will be going back to Ruger. The barrel is crooked, the rear sight is maxed out to the right and still needs to go farther (due to the crooked barrel), firing one chamber causes the cylinder to lock up, and, at least twice, I got hit in the face with shrapnel when I fired a cartridge in the "bad" chamber that causes the cylinder to lock up.

Summary:
Barrel is crooked.
Timing is off.

But I still like it, and look forward to getting it back from Ruger.
Old January 12, 2016, 07:23 PM   #1368
Sevens

Wow. Been reading far today many of these out of Ruger lately.
Old January 13, 2016, 09:30 AM   #1369
Dan-O

Picked up a LCR in .327 before X-Mas. About 2 cylinders worth of 100 grain American Eagle was enough for me to switch to some .32 H&R reloads of mine. Tried Aguila .32 acp in it as well and got about 60% ignition.

Last week made some 100 grain lswc loads at .32 h&r levels. Still haven't gotten around to trying them out, but hoping they'll be fairly pleasant to shoot.
Old January 13, 2016, 10:53 AM   #1370
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
... Other loads might not have been as bad as the 100 gr AE factory load, but that's what I fed it...
Quote:
Picked up a LCR in .327 before X-Mas. About 2 cylinders worth of 100 grain American Eagle was enough for me to switch to some .32 H&R reloads of mine...
While considerably less expensive, those American Eagles really have some pep. That's fine in the steel guns. In the LCR, I feel like it trades against an important benefit of .327 Federal. It's not just that you get an extra shot but a comparatively favorable balance of power and recoil. Maintaining that favorable balance means picking the right level of heat for the platform. In the LCR, I think 85-grain Hydra-Shoks hit the sweet spot.
Old January 13, 2016, 12:00 PM   #1371
FrankenMauser

Quote:
While considerably less expensive, those American Eagles really have some pep. That's fine in the steel guns. In the LCR, I feel like it trades against an important benefit of .327 Federal. It's not just that you get an extra shot but a comparatively favorable balance of power and recoil. Maintaining that favorable balance means picking the right level of heat for the platform. In the LCR, I think 85-grain Hydra-Shoks hit the sweet spot.
I agree.

When I carry the LCR, it's stuffed with either 115 gr Gold Dot factory ammo, or 85 gr Hydrashoks. While the Gold Dot load might sound offensive to shooters that haven't tried it, it's actually pretty sedate (in my opinion).

But yesterday wasn't about "practice". It was more direct comparison with the same ammunition. Since the 100 gr AE load is what I use as the baseline for everything, that's what I used.
It really isn't bad in the LCR with warm hands. But with cold hands yesterday, it was quite unpleasant.

Oh, now that Dan-O has reminded me...
I did try .32 S&W and .32 Auto in the SP101. Both ran 100%. I got lucky.
I don't shoot the shorties very often, but it's nice to know that I can. (I usually try to stick with .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R, and .327 Fed.)
Hopefully it's still capable after it comes back from Ruger.
Old January 13, 2016, 12:26 PM   #1372
Low Friction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nOe...em-uploademail

Hickok45 posted a video of his first impressions of the 327 LCR. Too bad he didn't have any 100AE...
Old January 13, 2016, 07:03 PM   #1373
Arizona Fusilier

Quote:
Summary:
Barrel is crooked.
Timing is off.

But I still like it, and look forward to getting it back from Ruger.
Wow. Please, I'm not trying to derail the thread, but you Ruger guys seem to be quick on the draw when it comes to forgiving such egregiously poor craftsmanship. I have never bought a new gun with such serious issues, and if my first exposure to a brand was your experience, I would never buy another. I have never experienced this.....I have never bought a Ruger.

Now I'm not sure what to do. Ruger is for all practical purposes the only game in town with respect to .327 Federal, and I really wanted one. "Making it good", standing by the warranty, customer service.... I'm sorry..... I have bought too many guns that were flawless out of the box to accept that now after 30+ years of gun collecting.

Sorry..... not trying to hurt anybody's feelings.....just trying to grapple with my own.
Old January 13, 2016, 07:33 PM   #1374
Dan-O

Sweet. Glad Hickok45 is back, and that he reviewed this gun.
Old January 13, 2016, 07:57 PM   #1375
Sevens

Well...
I hear you. And as I said above, it is not giving me good feelings about Ruger. But I've been doing guns the same length of time that you have and, well, life isn't perfect.

You seem to have drawn a line in the sand. Appears that you may chase down a used Freedom or maybe a USFA for... $1,500-$2,000. Or you can't play. Neither seems like a good option.