The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 4, 2002, 09:40 PM   #51
kurtm

Wow where to start.

Pvt Pyle:
The J.P. tactical ( a way over used and VERY misquoted word) is an 8 1/2 lb rifle w/ aluminum bolt carrier, and sans sights or optics. It's color is black and the high grade barrle is bead blasted stainless. Of course the color is unimportant since spray paint comes in many colors. The cost of this rifle is about $ 1600.oo and comes with a case, cleaning rod guide, bi pod, and many other nice extras. It also has a very nice 3lb. trigger pull.
As to it's reliability, all I can say is since I started to shoot for J.P. I have about 2300 rounds through mine WITHOUT a single malfunction. This includes using 20 and 30 rnd mags, Thermold 45 rnd mags and a Beta C Mag. Yea a G.I. could break it I guess, but Ive seen G.I.s break tanks and artillery also. As to accuracy mine is a 3/4 min. rifle with good loads and using generic Federal ammo is a 1 1/4 min. rifle. This is substatially BETTER than G.I.

George Hill:
As to PIMP J.P. rifles, these ARE NOT the ones used at S.W.AT. wc3gun . They weigh close to 14lbs without optics and are sold as unlimited rifles for U.S.P.S.A. 3 gun competitions. It is a great picture but you need to read the rest of the catalog befor triing to mislead others. This is kind of akin to putting a picture of a FERRARI in a 4 wheel drive magazine and saying what lousy ground clearance it has.
As to the GIANT MAG FUNNEL business. If deep concealment is the goal then you have a SLIGHT point. However when your bracial nerve is stuned by a bullet wound that goes through your arm and that magazine you pulled out of your carrier is slick with your own blood, and your fingers don't have much feeling due to the nerve involvment, you will praise the saints for that GIANT mag well. Just because you don't like the looks of something doesn't make it worthless. For open carry ther is just NO reason not to have every edge you can get.

Rob:
I like your Idea of a ISOC, except I don't think the outcome would change one little bit. WC3GUN is almost always won by an iron sight shooter, Like Bruce this year. I have placed in the top ten since 1996, and up till 2000 I shot a stock M1A, a single stack .45 with 7 round mags only, and a stock Benelli 121-M1 12 Ga. I still shoot my M1As enough to wear out a barrle every year or so, and generally go through about 15,000 .45 rounds a year. I just don't think any of the top shooters would CHOKE. I would love to shoot a match such as you suggest, because I know already pretty much how I and others would do. As a great friend of mine likes to say " it,s the indian, not the arrow" and I tend to agree with her.
Old October 5, 2002, 12:58 PM   #52
Correia

I agree. Like I said, the top shooters could beat me even if they were armed with a Hi-point, a Lorcin, and a NEF handi-shotgun.

Kurt, congratulations on your good finish.
Old October 5, 2002, 06:33 PM   #53
kurtm

CORREIA:

My post was not ment to say how great the top shooters are, it was ment to point out that eqipment doesn't make the shooter. I feel that I COULDN'T beat anyone with a Lorcin in my hands or a single shot shotgun; but a stock 1911 and an 870, yes. By the way the Hi point carbines aren't to bad out to about 150, after that it would be chance. I think you have the right idea, by reading your previous posts. Practice, practice, practice, especially with the gear you are going to run in a match such as this. Remember STOCK gear is the main stay of most great shooters. Who can afford to burn up 1600 dollar match rifles just in practice? No one I know! THANK YOU for the kind words!! KURT