The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 29, 2002, 12:21 AM   #1
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Ever had a "Zen" Day?

Thinking about stuff in the "Max Distance" thread led me to thinking about those days where I could do no wrong--and those days where I could do no right.

Ever had one of those shots which seemed "over your head", but you just absolutely knew beyond all doubt you'd hit? You "felt" the shot in on the target? Or, you "looked" the bullet in?

A couple of for-instances come to mind: Once after climbing over a fence, I looked off about 100 to 125 yards and saw three gobblers. Now, an '06 isn't exactly the prime turkey gun, so I just snap shot the biggest gobbler in the rear (side view) and didn't hurt a bit of meat. Cleared the drumsticks!

Another time, I was riding as passenger in our jeep on the last day of the season, loaded to go home but with one tag left. Looked up on a ridge and saw a buck. Hollered "Stop! There's a buck!" Just turned in the seat and shot. Every bit of 350 yards. Hit exactly where I planned.

And, of course, there have been those days where I couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a bass fiddle if we were locked in a closet...

, Art
Old August 29, 2002, 12:29 AM   #2
Archie

Yes, I have....

I've had those days where I could "think" the rounds into the target. I still work on it, but I can't do it at will yet.

Still working on it. If I figure out how to do it, I'll write a book and secure my retirement.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old August 29, 2002, 05:46 AM   #3
Bud Helms

About once every year or two I'll have one of those days at the pistol range. 'Just "cain't miss stackin 'em up". They are rare. It puffs me up. ... 'Til the next time I go out.
Old August 29, 2002, 05:55 AM   #4
C.R.Sam

The more you shoot...
The gooder you get,
And more often
Get lucky.

Want luck ?
Make your own.

Sam
Old August 29, 2002, 07:28 AM   #5
johnbt

I've had a few Zen minutes. I've been working for years to earn an entire Zen day

John
Old August 29, 2002, 07:52 AM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Sam, it ain't luck. It's something beyond that.

I've had days--weekends, really--where I'd have my race car just dancing. Everything seemed like a slow-motion waltz, running at my limit and the car's limit--all just smooth as silk. Other times, same car, same race track, same setup, and it would be all I could do to stay on the pavement.

Same in shooting pool. Tap, tap, tap; plop, plop, plop...Balls just went to the pockets like home to momma. Regularly make the nine-ball on the break. Or run the table at straight pool, from the break. Made a 54-point run at snooker. And then any of these followed by missed shots a rank tyro could make.

Dangfino.

Zen.

Art
Old August 29, 2002, 07:56 AM   #7
critter44

I have had several instances of hitting really lucky shots (I NEVER admitted they were luck!!!!). However, you must remember that as an old shooting buddy said: "You always have better luck when you keep a lot of lead in the air!" and I always try to do that!
Old August 29, 2002, 08:55 AM   #8
SHIVAN

It's happened several times on the Skeet field...

I'll come out blazing every little bird that comes out. Everything is in slow motion almost, the birds are coming out the nomral speed but in my mind and in my shooting they are going about three nothces slower.

My friend hates when I get the "zen" rounds.

It also happens to me in softball and occasionally while playing billiards.

In softball the ball just tumbles toward the plate and WHAM!!! gone. Now one HR is OK, but 6 in a doubleheader.....I was pumped.

In pool, all the angles seem simple the pockets are like basketball hoops. Impossible cuts look easy, bank shots I have no business taking centerline of the pocket. Once ran 4 racks to beat a friend who was the "house" shark.

Felt great......when I bottle it -- I'll let you know.

Ed
Old August 29, 2002, 09:05 AM   #9
Yanus

The last "Zen" day I had was a month ago when I shot a 249 out of 250 on a CCW requalification course. I amazed even myself. I was shooting a Glock G30 .45 and I was "on my game". I wish I could have more days like that.................

Yanus
Old August 29, 2002, 09:22 AM   #10
Hemicuda

i have those days...

coupla monthes ago I was breaking clays at the rate of 24/25 and 25/25 and I am NOT a shotgunner...

and as for race cars... I drive a street stocker... and crew on a modified car (open wheel)

occasionally I'll have a day in the SS where I and the car are like 1... we can do no wrong... and I can easily run away with the win...

even better are the occasional days where I can look at the track and determine what to do to the tires/chassis on the modified...

the driver has learned to tell when I "tune into" the track... and when I get "that look" he grabs the jack and tire-wrench... and simply does what I say... it don't happen often... (couple of times aseason or so...) but when it does, that modified runs like it's on rails...

then there are days when I can't change a tire without breaking a lugnut or something stupid...

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old August 29, 2002, 09:23 AM   #11
Steve Smith

Last week...

I was shooting at 300 yards in the rapid prone....I shot what I thought was a "horrible" string. The target came back up with the spotter disks and the whole firing line said, "Look at that group!" I had a fist sized group straddling the 10/9 ring (bad zero that day) for a 95 our of 100. Coulda been a clean with almost all X's, but with a group like that, I was pretty happy.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old August 29, 2002, 09:38 AM   #12
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

May have been Elmer Keith who observed - - -

"People call some of my long range pistol shooting just good luck. You might could notice that, the more practice you've had, and the more years you've been doing it, the more often you can make those lucky hits."

One might add, "The more regularly you practice."

As to our esteemed Mr. Eatman - - - I think he's been practicing since shortly after gunpowder was invented. And regularly? I dunno about his early days, but I've seen his residence. How many people have a "short range" (to about 180 yards) bench rest on the front porch? And both a pistol range AND a 500-yard rifle range sixty seconds off the back porch? Not to mention several thousand acres of high desert solitario for a back yard? If you choose your address carefully, you can have opportunities for regular practice.

The stuff about pool shootin' is probably just the fruits of a misspent youth.

Personal Zen shooting moments? I've had a few, over the years. (Become one with the trigger, Grasshoppa. Feel the sear.)

Best,
Johnny
Old August 29, 2002, 11:08 AM   #13
Schmit
Staff Alumnus

Had a few of those in my life... a couple that come to mind are...

Was shooting a .22 Rifle at a friends house in the woods. There happened to be a mirror sitting on the table, and also a tennis ball out about 40 yards. I said (jokeingly) I could hit the ball shooting over my shoulder using the mirror. They called me to task on it. I put the rifle over my shoulder (barrel pointed backwards) and sighted in the sights using the mirrow. Hit the ball dead center I did, first shot! (though in all honesty I tried 5 more times and couldn't repeat it).

Another time, hit a rapidly moving chicken (who was on the run towards me) dead center (in the front and out the back, taking all innerds with it and not touching any meat) at approx 25 yds using a Precision .308 with a 10X scope (zeroed for 100 yrd). Now this one was Zen as I had no though of breaking the shot... it just broke at exactly the right moment.

"Notoriety is fleeting,
Anonymity is forever!"
Old August 29, 2002, 11:15 AM   #14
Sundance

I call it being "In The Zone". And yes, I've had those days...awesome, aren't they?

Of course they do come more frequently the more you practice and the better you become.
Old August 29, 2002, 11:29 AM   #15
C.R.Sam

Art.....
I misworded.
By making your own luck, meant that practice, skill, will, equipment, mindset etc all come together with a tiny bit of luck thrown in.....results = perfection.

At the range or on the track, I have often fought hard to make things work well. Then, like you, there have been days when the abnormal seemed easy. When the mind goes on ahead and the machine or bullet follows along.

Zen moments, yeah. Zen day, only once....even the banquet meal was great. But they were all worked toward, and a little bit of luck put em over the top.

One of the coolest moments with witness was when was out pot huntin with a reporter. Had single shot Remington .22, he had scattergun. See an old style Coke bottle out bout 15yds or so laying with top towards us. I turn my back to it, lean over and with rifle upsidedown and tween my legs, shot the bottom out without touchin the neck. Didn't ever again shoot with that guy around. He poached us some grouse. That was a Zen moment, backed up by multitudinous bricks of ammo through that gun.

Sam
Old August 29, 2002, 11:50 AM   #16
Correia

I've had a few Zen moments. It is hard to explain, but you and your gun become one. If you can see it, you can hit it.

Since I've started shooting competition, I've had a couple of Zen stages. Where you get done, you are 0 points down, and your time was amazing. Every movement, reload, sight picture, called shot, everything was perfect. You are totally living in the Now.

This is usually followed by totally missing a target in the next stage, and giving the hostage (no-shoot) target a tracheotomy.
Old August 29, 2002, 11:57 AM   #17
ckurts

Senderos, Turkeys, and Centerfire Rifles-

No place but Texas!

The rifle was a Remington Model 7 in .243 with a 6X42 (fixed power) Leupold. I was "babysitting" the rig for a friend. The turkey was pecking at the ground and popped his head up for an instant. I put the crosshairs on the bird's head, squeezed off and he immediately flopped on his back and started raising dust like you wouldn't believe. I counted 124 steps from my stand to where he was (my pace is between 24 and 30 inches). His head was hanging by a string of gristle- looked like the 100 grain softpoint didn't even have time to begin expanding.

Took 3 deer that season as well, 2 does and a buck. I love hunting in west Texas!
Old August 29, 2002, 01:01 PM   #18
hps1

Couple of years ago took a couple of youngsters (teenagers) out and let them shoot a couple of my pistols. They really liked the Colt Officers .45 and brought along a bunch of aerosol paint cans.

They were shooting @ 15 yards and doing the paint cans some real harm. After a while they wanted me to shoot the 45 and jokingly put a marble which had come out of a paint can in a 45 cal hole in the 1x4 frame. Yeah, I fired one carefully aimed shot, the marble disappeared and the hole was still darn close to 45 cal. Was it an accident? No. Could I have done it again? Probably not, _they'll_ never know!

Regards,
hps
Old August 29, 2002, 02:25 PM   #19
Pappy John

A tip'o'my hat to Schmit. Its a good man who can keep his head and make a well placed shot in the face of a charging chicken.
Old August 29, 2002, 02:37 PM   #20
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

I call it the zone too. I've experienced it shooting, fighting, and while wrecking two cars. I didn't get into that mindset until the wrecks were unavoidable but I believe it saved my life in each.

Wish I could bring it up at will.
Old August 29, 2002, 05:03 PM   #21
Jamie Young

Drinking too much coffee on an empty stomach, or not eating my Wheaties for breakfast, is usually a part of my problem.
Old August 29, 2002, 06:35 PM   #22
Crimper-D

Heh* A few Yes! - A Few No!

Rifles - Zen Baby! (The first time I shot Expert)
Shotguns - No! Skeet is _Not_ my "Path to the Summet''

Brunettes! I have SCARS
Blonds! - THEY have scars

Redheads! Might have been Zen, but the sutures (7)!

Cars...Bout like a Yang/Yen symbol there. (MORE sutures! = Many!)
Old August 30, 2002, 06:32 AM   #23
Schmit
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
A tip'o'my hat to Schmit. Its a good man who can keep his head
Pappy,

You don't know the half of it. That chicken was part of a Fowl Terrorist group that I uncovered. If you'd like I'll e-mail you the complete after action report... it has been long enough that the classification of the Operation has been removed.

"Notoriety is fleeting,
Anonymity is forever!"
Old August 30, 2002, 07:45 AM   #24
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

Finally, the truth can be told!
Old August 30, 2002, 08:07 PM   #25
thisaway

Hope you fellows don't mind a low-post-counter puttin' in his two cents...

I cut a playing card in two at 25 yards with my muzzleloader once...one .50-cal. round ball cut it perfectly in half edgewise. When I dropped the shot, I knew it did it, but have no idea how I knew. Am still proud of that.