The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 29, 2010, 02:06 PM   #1
ackley man

Stevens model 66 - bolt removal

Attempting to remove the bolt on a model 66 (not 66A or 66B) has me completely baffeled. The mag tube is connected to the bottom of the bolt buy an aluminum block that allows the mag tube to move in unison with the bolt. I have no idea what Stevens was thinking when they designed this mechanism. The only screws I see that may have any possible connection to the way the block is attached are the screws that a visable from the top of the bolt that obviously hold the extractors and their springs. Probably not a good idea to remove them as it appears the extractors and spring could not be put back into place unless the bolt was out of the gun. Any help would be appreciated.
Old March 12, 2010, 01:10 AM   #2
paininneck

model 66 bolt questions

hi

the model 66 bolt is a little different than most ... If you pull bolt back and look on left side you will see a hole ... if you pull back on the cocking piece you can push the pin out using a punch... this will release the internal spring and allow you to remove the cocking piece, firing pin and springs from the bolt...

to re-assemble - you need to place the springs back on the firing pin and into the cocking piece first then you need to close the bolt all the way and insert the pin through the hole in the rear left side of the receiver and then into the bolt in order to hold the cocking piece, firing pin and the internal springs in place...

hope this helps... I have never been able to find a schematic for this gun... I found mine at a flea market as a wall hanger for $5.00 as it had no stock and did not cock and the firing pin was broken off... I made new springs and a firing pin and am in the process of making a one of a kind stock that will make folks say ... what kind of a gun is that?? I guess I will make it to look quite different ... not sure what just yet?? maybe a painted horizontal carving of Elmer Fudd...
Old February 27, 2012, 10:09 PM   #3
strokercapri

stevens model 66

hi i am new to this post and i saw u were talkin about the model 66. i purchased a junk one i hopes of bringing it back to life even though i already new it was not worth much, when i got the gun it was missing everything for the trigger i already know where to find the parts "numrich" but the dont have a diagram to show me what i am missing. everything is on the gun execpt anything to do with the trigger would anyone b able to help me by telling me what all i needed
Old March 17, 2012, 02:49 PM   #4
mmesser

stevens 66

I have "66" in decent shape and I can send pics if that will help you