The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 15, 2012, 01:29 PM   #1
rodwhaincamo

44 C & B Bullet Mold

Any recommendations on a bullet mold for a Dragoon that produces a bevelled base that works well for hunting?
One that will produce bullets that can be loaded on the revolver and not require a stand.

Last edited by rodwhaincamo; February 15, 2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old February 15, 2012, 07:39 PM   #2
Hellgate

I just went downstairs and was able to easily fit a LEE 200gr home cast conical into the Uberti Dragoon with plenty of clearance. The bullet fit down to the middle driving band (about 1/3 of the way in). I'd recommend you get the LEE Double Cavity mold and cast up a bunch of pure lead. The bullet is a round nose bullet so I doubt it is gonna mushroom unless you put a big hollowpoint in it. I don't have any setup to do that or know if one is made. You might want to check out the biglube.com website for their 44/45 cal molds with rebated bases.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old February 15, 2012, 08:47 PM   #3
Gatofeo

Years ago, Lee used to make a hollowpoint version of that bullet. I don't know why they dropped it.
Might find one on an auction site.
But to make it more effective on game, you could file off the roundnose a bit and create a large meplat. The Keith semiwadcutters have a stellar reputation for killing large game, and they do it with a large meplat.
Old February 16, 2012, 12:32 AM   #4
Hellgate

I had one of those HP LEE conical molds in 36 cal. It was a single cav. Sold it about a year ago. It had a large hollow.
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old February 16, 2012, 11:19 AM   #5
hoof hearted

Take a gander at this thread:
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/ind...c,41722.0.html

There is a diagram of one of Dick's bullets that shows the "bevel" or rebate.
He has two or three moulds in 45 that might work real well for your needs!

http://www.biglube.com

Regards, HH
Old February 16, 2012, 01:57 PM   #6
rodwhaincamo

Hellgate: Do the 200 grn conicals fit well at .450"? Are the conicals stepped down at the base? I've read they are difficult to load straight.

The loading ram doesn't mar the nose of a flat point?
Would .452" bullets work well?
Old February 16, 2012, 04:41 PM   #7
Hellgate

They are stepped down on all 3 driving bands. I don't know the exact diameters but I suspect the first is less than .448 'cause that's the diameter of some of my chambers and they drop to the second band which is probably .450. I don't know what the last one is, probably .454 or .457.