The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 26, 2008, 06:57 PM   #1
DougO83

Springfield XDm?

What is this? The website was not very helpful in explaining any difference.

Matt 6:33
Old May 27, 2008, 02:51 AM   #2
T.A.Sharps

I just checked one out at Scheels. It kind of pissed me off, since it seems to be a regular XD, accept with all the "defects" fixed. There are some things about my XD45Tac that I don't like, the trigger, the mag release, the sights but they are ok.

The XDM has everything better, and then some. It will be interesting to see the reviews later.

Taught me the lesson of never buying the first model of anything.

I still like my XD45Tac, but I think of it as a sloppy pistol.
Old May 27, 2008, 03:26 AM   #3
BanditSRT8

Actually the entire pistol is different.

Completely different contours on the slide geometry, grip radius, trigger reach... everything.

The backstraps are interchangeable (a'la HK P30), new texturization that should eliminate the need for so many people to have the grip frame stippled, all-around an completely re-vamped design.

When they introduce a compact version, I will be all over this one.
XD9 SC 2 tone | Glock 19 "Cogan Custom" | HK45 | HK P7M8 | HK P30 | Kimber Eclipse Pro II | Springfield EMP | Glock 19 TALO Limited Edition | S&W 1911 Doug Koenig Edition Bi-Tone | EAA Witness Elite "MATCH" | XD40 Service V10 ported "Custom" | Ruger LCP | S&W M&P15 w/EOTech | GSG-5 L | FN FS2000 w/EOTech
Old May 28, 2008, 07:31 PM   #4
FailureByDesign

I was at the local gun shop today, and they had one. $750 plus tax ofcourse. I had quite a bit of time looking at it, and i was impressed for the most part. Now, i am not a prior XD owner, so i had about 5 other XDs out on the counter at the same time, and the XDM seemed to be better than the rest. I cam very close to buying it, but considering its going to be 800 + i'm not sure, maybe i'll go look at a glock 22
Old May 28, 2008, 08:43 PM   #5
Sigma 40 Blaster

I got to shoot one this weekend (2 mags full). I currently own a XD 45 compact and love it. I like the XDm better, but not that much better.

The interchangeable backstraps are awesome, the small ones were on it and it fit my hand very well. The grip safety was much more compact and out of the way and the trigger safety was different, there was no finger bit at all during any of my shots.

The trigger pull is shorter and reset is way shorter. If it matters the slide release is easier to work as well. I shot some very nice groups at 10 yards with it on the first 5 shot group.

I do not think I'd spend the extra 200 dollars on one, but would go 650 tops for an all black one. The different slide finish and other bells and whistles don't do much for me.
Old May 28, 2008, 08:50 PM   #6
David the Gnome

Bud's has the new XDM-40 for $599.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411535094
Old May 28, 2008, 09:12 PM   #7
G.A. Heath

I own one, cost me $615 tax and all. The following improvements were made over the original XD: Trigger (pull weight, length of pull, length of reset), slide contour (supposedly allows a more positive grip when manually chambering a round), grip contour (very positive grip even with wet hands), the grip is beveled around the mag release, the guide rod and spring are more 1911 like (you can replace one while retaining the other), magazine capacity (16+1 in .40 S&W), interchangeable backstrap (M&P rip off #1), take down w/o trigger pull (M&P rip off #2, although SA did this better), newer sights (jury out on this one), the barrel is supposedly match grade, ect.
Old May 28, 2008, 09:16 PM   #8
Juhosaphat

I've held a couple and I just don't see where the extra 200$ is going. For that price, you can buy a regular XD and mod the trigger and anything else you want to make it function just as well if not better. Assuming you do your own work that is
Old May 28, 2008, 09:43 PM   #9
Tank Dog

Aren't the XDMs supposed to have a thumb safety as well?
Old May 28, 2008, 09:49 PM   #10
Juhosaphat

http://www.the-m-factor.com/gun.html

You tell me lol
Old May 28, 2008, 11:26 PM   #11
furyfour

no, the latest XD-45 (same old design but with thumb safety) is the only one.

Now i need to find some $$ to order my XD-M
Old April 17, 2010, 01:13 AM   #12
XDm1304

New XDm 40 3.8"

I just bought the new XDm 3.8" in 40 S&W and it is an awesome firearm. The grip grabs your hand well, and since I'm a lefty the so ambidextrous mag release and thumb contours are well placed. It has a little more bite then a full size which is to be expected, but it shoots well with good accuracy. The balance of the pistol is very comfortable for a polymer firearm. I am very amazed so far, I will be using it as an everyday carry.
Old April 17, 2010, 01:18 AM   #13
Eagleks

I like my XD, fits me perfectly, shoots great, and see no reason to change what is working so well.
Old April 18, 2010, 09:37 PM   #14
cowboy_711

Nope, no thumb safety on the XDM. The XDM is nice, but I see no reason to go out and trade in your regular XD for an XDM if you like it and shoot it well. If I was going to go buy one, however, I would buy the XDM due to the upgrades (mag capacity, trigger, grip, barrel, etc.). My father-in-law has an XDM 40 and he absolutely loves it. I have shot it and I seem to shoot it better than an XD.
Old April 19, 2010, 12:52 AM   #15
Clevinger

I have one and am a fan of XD's, but my impression is that the "M" in XDM mostly stands for "marketing."
Old April 19, 2010, 09:30 AM   #16
bikerbill

I've got an XDm-9, sold my XD40 to finance it ... the m is better in just about every way; grip is reshaped, great no-slip surface and interchangeable backstraps to fit most hand sizes. Match grade barrel .. huge capacity, 19+1 for the 9, very short reset on the trigger .. I think I paid about $650 for mine, but I got it when they were offering a neat deal, two spare mags and a carrier for free ... the gun comes with a carrier, a holster, the spare backstraps, etc. IMHO, a great deal for an excellent weapon. I have about 800 rds through it with no issues ...
Old April 19, 2010, 12:53 PM   #17
sakeneko

My husband's first gun, and favorite carry gun, is his XD-M. He's had it for slightly over a year now, and is at the point where he really should start shooting competitively. He has long arms ("ape arms", I call them) and big hands with long fingers, and the XD-M fits him like it was made for him.

I've shot it, and it's not the gun for me. The slide is extremely stiff even after three or four thousand rounds and lots of use; you need more upper body strength than I have to manage it well even if you know how to rack a slide. I didn't when we got it, but do now -- it's still a problem. The wide stock, due to the high-capacity double-stack magazines, also makes it a bad gun for anybody with small hands or short fingers -- your trigger finger won't reach the trigger if you brace the stock of the gun against the web between your thumb and trigger finger, as you should.

Other than those caveats, however, the only disadvantage I can point to with this gun is that its standard magazines are illegal in California and some other states, and there are no lower-capacity magazines available for it. There are for the XD, but the XD-M's stock is shaped differently and XD magazines simply don't fit.

Overall, if the XD-M fits your hand and you are comfortable with the slide, I suspect you'd like it. :-)
Old June 12, 2010, 01:05 PM   #18
tnye

XD-M 45 ACP

The Springfield Armory XD-M 45 ACP pistol became available in my area (NE Tennessee) last week. I bought one yesterday and took it out to the range today. It was worth the wait and did not disappoint.

The XD-45 has a match grade barrel, and the improved accuracy is noticeable. I can shoot better with it than I can my XD 9 mm (not an XD-M model). The grip is great right out of the box. I did not need to change the backstrap. I don’t know how Springfield Armory does it, but the grip for the 45 is not noticeably thicker than the XD-M 9 mm. I have a Glock 21SF that is like trying to hold a brick by comparison.

The only downside to the XD-45 is it has an incredibly stiff slide spring. I had a little trouble getting the gun back together after cleaning it last night. My wife’s XD-M 9 mm also had a stiff spring, though, and it loosened up considerable after taking it to the range a few times. I would not let the stiff spring scare you away from the XD-M 45.

The XD-45 package comes with all the same goodies that all the other XD-M models come with: a spare magazine, gun and spare mag holsters, mag loader, lock, and nice hard plastic case. Each magazine holds 13 rounds of 45 ACP ammo. I paid $669 for the two-tone stainless steel slide model. I absolutely love this gun. It was well worth the wait.
Old June 21, 2010, 09:51 AM   #19
meteorman69

XDm45ACP

Thanks for the review tnye!
I have an XDm9 4.5, XDm40 3.8, and have been considering getting the XDm45ACP to round out the family. Does the 45 have a 4.5 barrel?

I love my XDm's! They just feel good in the hand. All the little upgrades to the XDm over the plain XD just add up to a better experience. Both of mine are Bi-tone. Not only do they look great I am told they are more corrosion resistant (?) if you plan on using these for concealed carry.

I used to have an XD9 3" sub compact and traded it in so I could get my XDm40. No regrets!

Now I just need to save up some $$ for the XDm45.

Do you have any updates you can share with us?
Old July 14, 2010, 11:49 AM   #20
tnye

xdm 3.8 is great, too!

The XD-M 45 ACP has a 4.5" match grade barrel.

Shortly after I purchased the XD-M 45 it went on sale along with the new XD-M 3.8 9mm pistol. The store I bought it from credited me the difference for the sale price, and I bought the black XD-M 3.8 to add to the collection. I already own an XD-M 9mm with the 4.5" barrel that my wife shoots. I let her shoot the 3.8 and she liked it even more. Both are excellent guns with very good accuracy. I really like the 3.8. I have an older XD 9mm service model with a 4" barrel that I like a lot, too, but the 3.8 is more accurate. Interestingly, the XD-M 3.8 uses the same type recoil spring that the XD 9mm uses. It is a single unit with two different sizes of spring as opposed to the XD-M 45 that uses a single large spring of uniform size. The spring in the 3.8 is a lot easier to remove and replace when disassembling the pistol. It is getting easier to replace the spring in the XD-M 45, though.

I have no regrets over any of my Springfield Armory pistol purchases. The XD guns are great, the XD-M models are even greater. All fit my hand like a glove, and you can't beat the ease with which they can be field stripped for cleaning.