The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 1, 2005, 11:43 PM   #1
Gary H

Casting: Two 4x Molds or One

I just purchased a 230gr RN Saeco mold from Paul Jones. Very strange, since I've never cast and don't have any equipment to do so. Anyway, I've built a reloading shed in my back yard and will be moving everything out of the house. Part of the benefit is that I can setup a casting station outside of the back of the shed. I want to do high volume in a short period of time. In other words, I don't really expect to love casting, so I want to get it done with. I will be working alone. Do any of you use multiple 4x molds to speed up the process, or is one sufficiently fast to get the job done in a timely manner?

Second question. Anyone buy Ballisti-Cast equipment? For example, they have their Mark VI sizer, but it is substantially more expensive than Saeco, or RCBS. Is it worth spending the extra money on their stuff?
Old September 2, 2005, 04:29 AM   #2
Lloyd Smale

at the pace i cast i find that three molds at a time works about the best if using bigger molds like a 4 cavity. If using 2 cavity molds i usually run 4 at a time. The ballistic cast sizer is basically a copy of the star and is a much nicer running machine. Well worth the extra cost.
Old September 2, 2005, 06:57 AM   #3
HSMITH

I use a couple 4 holers when using iron molds. I actually prefer one 6 hole aluminum job, I can use it just as well and it isn't as much work as the iron mold.

Start with one, learn to cast. Iron molds are kinda finicky, they start cold and stay that way for a couple pours, then they are up to temp for a couple and then they get too hot. If you don't recognize what the block temp is like from the way the sprues are cooling and bullets are dropping it is very easy to get them way too hot and smear the bases etc. When you have the pace of one mold down pat and are able to keep it running almost continuously then start adding another set of blocks to the operation and learn the pace.

Get some good books, Lyman casting manual is a good one. The books cover the basics and steepen the learning curve.
Old September 2, 2005, 07:33 AM   #4
Gary H

Magma Master Caster

Thanks...I get the idea. One mold, once you know what you are doing, is rather slow.

I was looking for a source for the Star Sizer and found Magma Caster. What is the plus of going with a unit like the Magma Caster? Perhaps it is just as easy to use a good bottom poor and hand molds.

Master Caster
Old September 5, 2005, 08:56 PM   #5
LAH

Master Caster, Gary look here: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...=118462&page=1

When I run 4 cavity moulds I use at least 3 and sometimes 4 depending on bullet diameter and weight. I'd suggest you start with only one mould though till you get your stroke down.

For more on the Ballisti Cast mini sizer, call Kelly at Cast Performance. He'll give you the scoop. BTW the Star is a good machine also.
Old September 5, 2005, 09:15 PM   #6
Gary H

LAH:

Thanks for the information. You seem to be the source for this stuff. I thought that the Ballisti-Cast and the Magma were both Star copies. I'll go back and look at the differences.
Old September 5, 2005, 09:27 PM   #7
LAH

The Mini Sizer differs a bit from the Star. The top punch is set up different. It also uses a bullet feed that's a whole different design than the Star. And for sure it's heavier built.

Old September 5, 2005, 09:38 PM   #8
Gary H

At $475 fully loaded, it should be heavier and a better design. Do you have the Mini-Sizer?

I noted that Ballisti-Cast has a unit (Mark VI) that looks much like the Master Caster at a much higher price.

I wouldn't be looking at this, except that I know that I'm going to be a marginal caster. What I mean is that I'll do it to get a consistent product and eventually save some money, but I'm not anticipating a great deal of enjoyment. So, anything that simplifies the process makes it more tollerable.
Old September 5, 2005, 09:45 PM   #9
LAH

Don't have one and even though I was in the BC shop I haven't seen one, only pictures. I have spoke at length with two who do and it took a little work to make the machine as easy to use as it can be. Because of our conversations I went with the Star. I have two old ones and two Magma/Stars. They are great machines.
Old November 5, 2005, 03:38 PM   #10
Paul Fitz Jones

California Saeco 230 Gr .45acp molds

To cast with 2 or molds you need identical molds or you will be sorting bullets for a long time. Before I cast with 2 bulletmasters casting 4,800 bullets per hour I used 2 of my calif saeco molds with a Saeco 1000 watt pot that I will be selling also along with 3 Star reloaders and three Star lubers.

I have several of the 230 gr .45acp Lifetime Meehanite Cast iron molds left so contact me right away before they are gone as I am selling everything being 70 and ill.

I have been selling lots of items on ebay as star0reloader0mentors and there are a dozen items there now.

Paul Fitz Jones
Police Firearms Instructor
Old November 6, 2005, 09:36 AM   #11
Quantrill

Multiple moulds work best for me BUT as Fitz points out, they should be identicle or there will be minor differences in the bullets which will show in the more exacting target shooting disciplines. Quantrill