The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 3, 2007, 08:30 PM   #1
swmike

Anyone Using M855 Pulled Bullets (5.56mm)

I recently came by 1,000 bullets (M855 62 gr. 5.56mm) that were pulled from military ammo. Great shape. Want to load using accurate 2230. Anyone have a good load that comes close to the military loading?

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old February 5, 2007, 12:16 AM   #2
flutedchamber

Well, according to the good book, you should load 26.1 gr of WC844 behind your 62 grain bullet assembled to an overall length of 2.26 inches, which will give you a chamber pressure of 55,000 PSI and a velocity of 3025 fps 78 feet from the muzzle.

Buy some virgin WC844 and have a ball......
Old February 6, 2007, 04:56 AM   #3
Thesenator

Sorry, I don't have a recipe for the 2230 powder. I'm sure you'll find something out there to give you an idea where to start with it.

I just loaded a bunch of the pulled 62gr bullets and pulled down WCC844. I reduced the load to 25gr to preserve the brass a bit. No signs of any high pressure, the primers and fired brass looked real good. They shot a little low at 100yds out of an 11.5 inch 1/7twist AR barrel so I'm going to up the charge on the next batch a bit and see if I can bring the point of impact up a little. I could adjust the sights but the gun is zeroed with military ammo and I'd rather tailor the ammo as close to it as possible.
This is a great combination of powder and bullet, the powder measures and flows well and the bullets are cheap. With free brass and $13/k primers that I bought a while ago, I'm reloading for 7.3 cents each.