The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 12, 2012, 06:40 PM   #1
chrisb38002

Short Magnum Powder Loads - Confusing

OK, This is starting to get a little confusing. I am starting to load for my 7mm WSM, but I am finding varying loads from different sources. I am loading 150gr Nosler balistic tips on top of IMR4350 powder. These are the powder loads I have found from 3 different sources:
1) Lyman manual 49th edition shows the starting load at 58gr., with max at 62gr.
2) Nosler website shows starting load at 56.5gr., with a max of 60.5gr.
3) Hodgdon website shows starting load of 61gr., and max of 65gr.

When I look at the same sources for a more common load like the 308, they are all within 1gr or less of each other. Is it just that the 7mm WSM is newer? Any ideas?
Old February 12, 2012, 07:12 PM   #2
AllenJ

Since you are shooting a Nosler bullet I'd suggest using their data. The Hodgdon's site is using a Winchester bullet so that load is not going to be the same. I don't know what bullet the Lyman manual used.
Old February 12, 2012, 07:49 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Start out at the lowest starting load and work up until you get the results you want, up to the highest max.... assuming you are using bullets of similar construction.

Load data between traditional copper jacket, lead core bullets of equal weights can be interchanged to a great degree. Data between copper jacket, lead core bullets and solid metal bullets like the Barnes TSX or Hornady GMX can NOT be safely interchanged.

Hodgdon's data is known for being MAX when they say max. In other words, they MEAN max. Don't screw around with going higher unless you REALLY have the experience and knowledge to do it.

Short answer, I would start at 56.5 and work up toward 65.0
Old February 12, 2012, 08:57 PM   #4
old roper

Hodgdon manual comes out every year vs Nolser # 6 2007.

I'd think its more bullet than anything as Nosler load for the 120gr is almost 6gr more than Hodgdon and the 140gr and 175gr are real close within a gr.
NRA Life Member