The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 17, 2009, 12:07 AM   #1
TomL

Fixed Sight Replacement Height

I once seen a formula for getting taller replacement sights on a 1911 set at the near correct height relationship. I just had a .312" 10-8 NM installed on the rear and a .195" tall on the front. I am thinking the POI will be low as 10-8 says this rear sight will work fine with a .175-.185" front, which I was not able to buy so had to go with the .195". What I need to know is do I shoot and file/machine until its right or can I formulate an amount to remove then file for final sighting? Also I don't have access to a Bridgeport so might have to hand file. I'll be sighting at a 30 foot indoor range. Does Colt have a set distance they used for f/r fixed sight heights? Thanks. Tom
Old December 19, 2009, 06:46 PM   #2
TomL

Fioxed Sight Replacement Height

Ok after an hour at the range I decided NOT to file,fiddle or otherwise mess with the sights as installed. 30 foot 7 shot group 1" low and 6 of the seven hits could be covered with a quater, at 50 feet same thing, 1" low but group spread expanded to 1.5" plus or minus, no more than 2". TL