The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 17, 2005, 08:03 PM   #1
Trapp

Quick question....

What does a gas check do? I saw some for sale the other day and didn't ask, now I want to know.........
Old April 17, 2005, 08:11 PM   #2
Dogjaw

A copper or brass cup used to prevent hot high pressure powder gases from deforming the base of lead bullets.
3) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves..........
Old April 17, 2005, 11:50 PM   #3
yorec

They can also help scrape a little of the lead fouling left in a barrel by soft bullets as they puch 'em out. Minimal help, but help they do!
Old April 17, 2005, 11:58 PM   #4
LHB1

Gas checks can only be fitted to cast bullets designed for them. Such bullets have slightly rebated "heels" to allow gas check to slip on. Some gas checks crimp onto the bullet and some just slip on. I have never found the need for them on pistol bullets, even on full power .44 Mag loads at 1425 fps, and they supposedly raise pressures (3000-5000psi?).

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old April 21, 2005, 05:28 PM   #5
cheygriz

I have been using them on any load above 1300 fps, whether rifle or pistol. They may not be necessary at velocities that low, but having them on gives my a warm fuzzy feeling.
Old April 21, 2005, 07:16 PM   #6
Russ5924

They say don't push the lead bullet much over 900 fps or you will get leading.I loaded some one time 18 rounds and the gun was fouled with lead.
Old April 21, 2005, 07:51 PM   #7
Edward429451

I have two gas check moulds and use them regardless because its a gascheck design...from reading some of you guys posts...you don't always use them on a GC designed bullet unless your pushing it real fast?

Am I wasting my gaschecks? 44 Special wouldn't need them at the velocities I load too? (Midrange for my Bulldog)
Old April 22, 2005, 07:38 AM   #8
CaptainRazor

Quote:
I have two gas check moulds and use them regardless because its a gascheck design...from reading some of you guys posts...you don't always use them on a GC designed bullet unless your pushing it real fast?
That would be true for me, I haven't used gas checks for years and I have a mould (.358SWC) that is a gas check bullet design mould.

Quote:
Am I wasting my gaschecks? 44 Special wouldn't need them at the velocities I load too? (Midrange for my Bulldog)
I wouldn't think you need gas checks for 44 Special. The velocity is low enough, leading shouldn't be a problem. The only thing that they might improve would be accuracy.
Old April 22, 2005, 08:16 AM   #9
sundog

Edward, yup, save your gas checks in 44 Special, even light and midrange 44 Mag. Get a plain base boolit like the Ly or RCBS Keith design or even better a Lee 200 RF in a 6-cavity. I've grown rather found of the Lee 6 banger as it shoots good and you can make a freakin' mountain of decent boolits in VERY short order. With straight WWs mine weigh in at 208 grains. sundog

btw, I shot a CAS match last month, first time in about two years, and those Lee 200 grainers did a FINE job in a couple Bisley Vaqueros and a Rossi 92.
Old April 22, 2005, 09:28 AM   #10
Edward429451

Thanks guys. Gaschecks aren't getting any cheaper and they seem tyo go fast so thats good to know.

No I suppose I'll load some identical loads with and without checks to compare the accuracy with. I have two gc moulds in 44, a Lee 250 SWC and the Lyman 300 gc. I also have the 245 Keith plain base and the 180 WC. 44's are such a great caliber to load for.