The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 24, 2012, 03:35 PM   #1
ClydeFrog

LA Times article; OR man loses Beretta, gets criminal charges...

I read a new article on the LA Times site about a OR man who faced criminal charges of reckless endangerment after he lost a Beretta pistol in a movie theater. The man did not report the missing weapon to local law enforcement & has since lost his concealed license.
The pistol was recovered by a 12 year old girl who saw it in the theater later on.
This event shows why it's important to use a secure holster & be aware of your surroundings 100% of the time.
Now, I'm not perfect. I've had mishaps too. One common problem I had while I was as a US Army MP & a armed security officer; I'd have the loaded pistol mags eject or slip out.
This took place when I'd hit the mag release moving around or when I got into/out of a vehicle.
I got into the habit of checking my sidearm often to make sure the magazine was seated, the safety was on or the holster was secured.
It's a real pain to watch a duty weapon slip out or have gear break. It can happen anytime too. Be alert & keep a sharp eye on your firearm.

Clyde
Old December 24, 2012, 05:01 PM   #2
lamarw

Yes, I read the article. If my memory serves me correctly, the gun was found by members of a group of children who were taken on a field trip to a movie as a reward for their academic achievements. It seems the gun dropped out of the seat when a young 12 year old boy pushed his seat down. Another boy who was a boy scout advised him not to touch it and they informed their teacher.

The gun owner had contacted the theater lost and found but did not contact and report the missing pistol to the police. It seems the gun was not only loaded by also had a round in the chamber. It was a good thinking on the part of the young students. It could easily of been a tragedy.

I personally agree with the punishment.
Old December 24, 2012, 05:10 PM   #3
rickyrick

I agree too, shoulda phoned police.

I've ejected a full magazine too by somehow bumping the release. Not in public thank God.
Old December 24, 2012, 05:13 PM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

Do we have a link to the actual article?
Old December 24, 2012, 05:57 PM   #5
lamarw

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/12/20...un-in-theater/

One of the young men had also been to a gun safety course.
Old December 24, 2012, 06:34 PM   #6
Tom Servo
Staff

Sounds like the Eddie Eagle course to me. Good for those kids.
Old December 24, 2012, 06:57 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Good for the kids, but why is it okay for (some) police officers to have their duty weapon stolen from the front seat of their car, or to forget it in a public men's room, and all they get is a slap on the wrist, but a "civilian" does the same thing and he's a criminal?

Once again, the law treats everyone equally, but some people are more equal than others.
Old December 24, 2012, 07:49 PM   #8
rickyrick

I know of one officer that left a pistol on top of his private car in front of the police station. Almost his whole shift. Luckily the chief found it.

No punishment known at least publicly
Old December 24, 2012, 11:38 PM   #9
ClydeFrog

Criminal charges, sworn LE officer incidents....

I think the gun owner deserved charges & loss of the concealed license because he should have reported the loaded gun missing. Guns are nothing to play around with. Horseplay & pranks used to annoy me when I was in the US military. A former US Marine in his late 20s that I worked with on a armed post in late 2004 did that a lot. Guns are NOT toys!
I'd add that sworn LE officers have many incidents. During major elections, there are always events where sidearms are lost or misplaced at campaign stops. I read about a federal agent assigned to a PSD(personal security detail) for the US Sec of HUD. The special agent was repremanded for losing his sidearm at meetings/events. He used a briefcase holster and didn't keep it on his body.

Clyde