The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 24, 2005, 12:56 AM   #1
Hawainpanda

any affordable thermal optics?

like around 1k?
Old June 24, 2005, 01:18 AM   #2
Hawainpanda

oh wow, I looked at some older topics...13k, dang for some reason I don't see why they're so expensive, lol, obviously I have no idea, well I have some idea maybe, but to me they seem far too overpriced. At the microbiology lab I work at, a real time pcr which is a maybe 400kUSD, but its able to detect the amount of radiation or light that is emitted during dna synthesis. That type of detecting system I can understand, but thermal optics don't seem to be too complicated, its only detecting heat. maybe I'm missing something, but I thought thermal optics were commonly used in the military? well not commonly, but were at least availible
Old June 24, 2005, 11:26 PM   #3
IronLance

Detecting heat, in and of itself is not a big deal. You can buy hand held heat detectors in any hunting catalog. The expense comes in when you want to put what's detected into a viewable picture. Even more expensive if you want to be able to discern the difference between a rabbit (or other creature) and a man hiding behind a rock(leaving only part of himself exposed).

Currently, as far as I know, this is the only thermal imaging riflescope available to non-LEO/Military shooters.