The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 20, 2010, 09:57 AM   #1
Ozzieman

Indiana is a great state for gun owners….. but we need Hoosier gun owners help.

Indiana is a great state for gun owners….. but we need Hoosier gun owners help.

Late last year the Bloomington Herald-Times used what the paper called “aggregate data to show the incidence of gun permits in various counties”.
They also stated (Fort Wayne Journal Gazette) “But some Hoosiers complained that the information on the permits- including names and addresses- should not be public record.”
A more accurate description would be that Hoosiers were extremely mad that the news paper printed the names and address in the paper of those that had carry permits.
The good “news” in all this is that Indiana which has always been a pro-gun state this week passed HOUSE BILL 1068 and it passed 48 to 0. This bill closes public assess to the states database of Hoosiers with a permit to carry handguns.
Now all we need is Gov Mitch Daniels to sign it. I am happy to say he has remained pro gun so let’s keep our fingers crossed.
I also found it humorous that the paper found this bill so disagreeable to the public safety.
In there own words “The Hoosier State Press Association opposed the bill, saying the names and addresses in the database are necessary for journalists to scrutinize the permitting process.”
“The bill still allows journalist to access the general information from the permits, such as the number per county or percentage of permits denied compared with the number granted.”

All I have to say is thank you Indiana Senate,,,, and to the Fort Wayne Journal Gazette, Bloomington Herald- Times and The Hoosier State Press,,, you can all kiss my gun toting back sides.

Those of you Hoosiers that would like to send our great Governor Mitch Daniels a note asking him to please sign the bill can email him that suggestion at the following address.

http://www.in.gov/gov/2631.htm
Old February 27, 2010, 12:38 AM   #2
Indiana shooter

Done,done ,done
Old February 27, 2010, 10:10 AM   #3
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

Keep up the good work, Hoosiers!

You can take those so-called "journalists" seriously when you see them trying to publish the names and addresses of so-callled "welfare" recipients.
Old February 28, 2010, 05:05 PM   #4
Webleymkv

Will do. Daniels is actually kind of a wild card here as, to my knowledge, he really has no record one way or the other on 2A issues. That being said, he seems to be conservative enough on other issues that I'd be suprised if he didn't sign it (particularly considering the gun-friendly attitude of most of the state).

Do you have any links to the acticle from the Bloomington Herald-Times? I'm suprised that I've not seen it yet as I don't live all that far from Bloomington (I live in Columbus).
Old March 2, 2010, 02:53 PM   #5
Webleymkv

Something else of note, HB1065 passed the Senate with a few minor tweaks and is now headed back to the House. If passed, this bill would prevent employers from prohibitinge their employees from keeping firearms locked in their vehicles while at work.

Tags
indiana house bill 1068