The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 25, 2009, 10:01 PM   #26
i6pwr

How did you clean the barrel, did you use a copper solvent as well?

Not implying you cannot clean a barrel, just trying to eliminate possibilities.

The 22-250 is a fast round, don't think you can escape a good amout of copper fouling.
Old March 26, 2009, 07:29 PM   #27
SATCH487

Cheap Scopes

Hey Guys I Have Owned 3 Bushnell Banner 6-18-50 Scopes And Love Each One. Not Many People These Days Can Afford $400 To $700 Dollar Scopes To Shot. My Opinion Is That Alot Of These Scopes You Are Paying For The Name. All My Bushnells Have Crystal Clear Glass And I Have Never Had A Problem With Them. I Had A Friend That Had Sent Back A Half Dozen Higher End Scopes And Still Buys Them High Dollar Paper Weights And I Still Out Shoot Him Every Time We Go Shooting. I Say Buy What Best Quality You Can Afford And Have Fun Shooting And Not Worry About The Big Name Brands.
My Sniper Rifle I Use At Work Dont Have Big Name Brand Scopes Either Just What The State Can Afford At That Time.

Just My Opinion! Sorry Guys!
Old March 26, 2009, 09:19 PM   #28
G.H. Militia

I am totally sold on the Nikon Monarch stuff, especially in the $400 range..
but, I also like my $48 dollar famous maker on my Su-16.... depends on the individual..
Go to a gun shop or even WalBogs and just look thru scopes, then buy the nicest one your funds will allow...

I Capitalize A Lot Of Words And Don't Use Much Punctuation But I Try Real Hard
Old March 28, 2009, 11:39 AM   #29
James R. Burke

What bothers me a little and mind you this is just myself. Is seeing a 1500.00 hundred dollor rifle with a 50.00 dollar scope. Or on the other flip of the coin a 200.00 dollar rifle with 500.00 scope. I seen it all at one time or another. I guess to each his or her own.
Old March 28, 2009, 12:53 PM   #30
Ricklin

High end Bushnell

Bushnell makes cheap scopes....... at the LOW end of their product line. Their Elite series are a different animal. My Elite 4200 is the best scope I own, one needs to get in to Swarovski and high end Leupold to best the Elite scopes. And yes I have a Leupold, but not a Swarovski.

The cheap Bushnell scopes are made in China, the 4200 is made in Japan. Bright, crystal clear, with a titanium alloy tube, the 4200 series is an excellent piece of glass.

The high end Bushnell's also sport a lifetime warranty, check it out, if the problem is the scope I think I would send it in to Bushnell.

Not ALL Bushnell scopes are dept. store junk, the Elite is as good as many, and better than most. Fair price and great quality.

IMHO it is the best glass for the money.
Old March 28, 2009, 08:45 PM   #31
furtaker

Buy what your budget can afford! Save your money and up grade as you go.
Old March 29, 2009, 09:18 AM   #32
protectedbyglock

Oh yeah, you wanna talk about cheap scopes??
I have a $12 (that's right...Twelve Dollar) Alpen Kodiak scope that I found in a bargain bin at k-mart last year. I mounted it on my Bushmaster AR15.

I took it out yesterday and was hitting 8" steel targets (standing) at 150yrds like it was nothing. It shoots about 1" groups at 100yrds with my "next to minimum...super cheapass" H335 load behind bulk Federal 55gr FMJs.
I ended up buying every scope they had in that bin... 7 in all.
It's a 3.5-10x50 i believe (it was the expensive one)
The other ones I got were 3-9x40, and they were $9 each. I sold 4 of them and kept the other 3.

I don't know as I'll ever buy a super expensive leupold or whatever. I'm sure they are really nice, but I always think about another gun I could buy if I didn't buy the scope. I'd drop $150 on a nicer scope, but I don't know about $350+ unless I'm getting really serious with something involving competition or such. I guess I just don't have a real use for it at the moment. I've used this same Alpen on my Rem 700 30-06, and it works fine, too. I need something for lower light, though...

BTW, I'm glad you figured out your problem OP.
Old April 1, 2009, 07:30 AM   #33
SATCH487

Cheap Scopes

I Bet That I Can Out Shoot Them High Dollar Scopes With My $134 Bushnell Banner 6-18-50 Walmart Special Scope. Guys I'm Telling You If The Scope Will Hold Zero Than It Don't Matter. All I Keep Hearing Is Better Glass, That Tells Me You Have Bad Eyes And Need Better Glass To See. Better Glass Don't Make You A Better Shooter It Just Shows Me You More Money Than Sense. YOU CAN BUY A $100 GUN AND A $1000 SCOPE AND YOU STILL HAVE A CHEAP GUN.

Last edited by SATCH487; April 1, 2009 at 07:35 AM. Reason: DID NOT FINISH
Old April 1, 2009, 08:40 AM   #34
Sam06

Again a little off the subject but what makes a High end scope good is repeatability and the optics. I have very good eyes and I like the higher end scopes. I am sorry if that makes me a snob but for the average joe that sets his scope one one setting and leaves it there, a less expensive scope is fine.

Try this; shoot a square with a cheapo scope and an expensive one. Work those turrets. You will see the difference. You will also see if its on square or not
Old April 1, 2009, 12:15 PM   #35
snuffy

Quote:
Try this; shoot a square with a cheapo scope and an expensive one. Work those turrets. You will see the difference. You will also see if its on square or not
Durnit Sam, I was just going to say something like that!

When I first got my 300 WSM,(it was the first one to come to these parts back in 2002), I didn't have the dinero to put a real good scope, put on it. So I put a Tasco silver antler 3 X 9 on it for testing, barrel break-in, and just getting empties from factory fodder. Yes it worked, but it looked out of place. Like a brass pendant on a pearl necklace.:barf:

The next spring, I bought a leopold vari-ex 2, 4.5X14 on it. Midway was having a sale, it was well over $700.00 normally, I got it for under 500.

We have an informal 600 yd shoot around here, using an old national guard range. No rules, any rifle, any rest. I was getting a load worked up, the last thing I did was raise elevation to be 24 inches high @ 100 yds. With ΒΌ minute clicks, dead on @ 100, that was 96 clicks up. I was using outers targets, which are a 1" grid, 24 inches square. Shooting at the bottom line center, the bullet cut the top line center! Just for grins, I went back down those 96 clicks, back dead on @ 100 yds. Notice I said clicks, not like some cheap scopes, no positive clicks, or a smooth no click turret.

Another thing. Cheap scopes are often made in 3 pieces. The main body, the front and rear bells are screwed, glued, or pressed together. That means they can be easily bent, or come loose. You want a one piece tube, that costs more to make.

Oh, something else, focus. Cheap scopes have a lock ring and threaded ocular piece,(eye piece), to focus to your eye. That means you have to keep track of the lock-ring being sure it's tight. That's another place for the scope to leak, allowing moisture inside, which results in fogging. Better scopes have a sliding friction lock ocular piece.

Parallax is an apparent displacement or difference of orientation of an object viewed along two different lines of sight. Most rifle scopes have parallax set at 125 yds. Shotgun scopes are set at 75 yds. Any longer ranges, say 300 yds., the position of your eye can cause the bullet to hit off from where you're seeing. The better grade scopes have adjustable objective lenses to eliminate parallax. Although more important on target scopes, it might cause a miss on a far away prairie dog.

Yes, I WILL outshoot someone with a cheap scope at long yardage.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old April 13, 2009, 10:22 AM   #36
flyguyskt

I have to agree with SNUFFY...premium glass is a thing from the heavens. you get what you pay for...zeiss for me thanks
Old April 13, 2009, 12:24 PM   #37
Oldtrader3

Can't Get Rifle to Group

You mentioned that you are getting heavy recoil with a .22/250??? I guess I don't know what that means relative to shooting a .222 or .243 or a .300 magnum. I found that that my .22/250 would not handle maximum published loads and that the recoil did go up exponentially because I was on the far edge of rapidly growing primer pockets. Are you shooting maximum loads?
Old April 14, 2009, 11:59 AM   #38
ZX10Aviator

back to the origional question, work up different loads, youll have to find what the gun likes. The right powder, and bullet make or break it!

Onto the cheap scope concept here.. my stock $260 savage stevens 200 in .223, topped with a $150 nikon prostaff 3-9 so far has outshot everyone I shoot with. (<1/4" groups at 100yds) Weatherby's, brownings, rugers, remingtons...all topped with good scopes.. Its not ALL about the money. The lesser expensive stuff does work also, for me anyway. Finding the right load for the particular gun plays a bigger part than just buying the best glass.
Old April 14, 2009, 06:14 PM   #39
oneounceload

MAYBE, being a 22-250 and 15 years old, the barrel is flat out worn out from the previous owner shooting it a lot with warm to hot loads.......