The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 23, 2013, 10:08 PM   #1
cogito

slide not locking with new mag -- dremel it?

Howdie,

I just bought some Pachmayr mags for my Sig P226. They feed without issue, but the slide doesn't lock after the first round.

Looking at the mag, the metal gap where the slide lock would hit is a bit narrow as is the corresponding place on the follower.

So, I presume I could just open it up a bit with a dremel. Any advice?
Old January 24, 2013, 04:45 PM   #2
blfuller

If this just started after you installed the Pachmayer grips the channel in the grips that the slide release moves up and down may be binding and preventing it from moving freely. I would not do any dremmeling.

Field strip the pistol and lift up and down on the slide release. If it does not move freely, remove the grip and see if it moves freely. Put the factory grips back on and check movement. If it moves freely with the old grips and does not with the rubber Pachmayer, get a razor blade and clean the slot out, remove any flash or open it up a little until the slide release moves freely like it did with the factory grips.
Old February 2, 2013, 07:37 PM   #3
CraigJS

He said nothing about changing grips!
Old February 2, 2013, 07:55 PM   #4
blfuller

My bad, I saw Pachmayr and thought grips, didn't know they even made mags for the SIG 226. I know they used to for the 1911 but that was it. If thats's the case I'd return them or exchange. I'd stick with factory or MecGar which is suppose to OEM the mags for SIG.

If you can't return them then I'd do the dremmeling or contact Pachmayr and see what they say.