The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 25, 2012, 03:38 PM   #1
Delmarva shooting

Smith Carbine

I am looking for some info on my smith carbine( i think) i am not a civil war buff or have any knowledge on these types of guns. any info would be greatley appreciated

Old June 25, 2012, 03:39 PM   #2
Delmarva shooting

Old June 25, 2012, 03:42 PM   #3
Delmarva shooting

Old June 25, 2012, 03:45 PM   #4
Delmarva shooting

i was having trouble finding any site with serial number info the ser#9984
a possible value would be great
Old June 25, 2012, 06:05 PM   #5
sgms

Smith Carbines made by American Machine Works , Massachusetts Arms Company, and American Arms Company from 1861 to 1865 making over 30,000 total carbines. They are .50 cal. single shot, percussion breechloaders with a sling bar and ring on left side (There are some exceptions in placement but yours looks to be the standard ). There were a very few non military sales your was however a union military issue based on the government cartouches on the stock. I know of their issue to the 7th. and 11th. Ill. cavalry, the 7th. and 17th. Pen. cavalry, and the 6th. and 9th. Ohio. There are more but these are just the ones I am aware of. Value is hard to say, it depends greatly on where you are as to regional fluctuations. Based on you pictures around here $1500 to $2500 would be my guess.

Last edited by sgms; June 26, 2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old June 25, 2012, 07:13 PM   #6
PetahW

The Smith Carbine/patent utilized a paper or a rubber cartridge, and as posted above was made by Manufactured by American Machine Works, Springfield, Massachusetts.

Poultney and Trimble, Baltimore were selling agents.

The contract for Military sales of the Smith Carbine were handled by Poultney & Trimble and stamped ADDRESS POULTNEY & TRIMBLE BALTIMORE USA, from January 1862 to June 1865, with a total of 30,362 carbines delivered.

Which puts your Smith neatly into that period between August 1861, when the contract was given out & production started, until June 1865, when the last was delivered.

Here's a few F/S elsewhere:

http://www.gunsinternational.com/-20...n_id=100167322

http://www.gunauction.com/search/dis...temnum=9593600

http://www.gunsamerica.com/951468956...ar_Carbine.htm

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=284088140

Old June 25, 2012, 08:07 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

While the Smith carbine does not have the value of the Sharps or Spencer, that one is in exceptional condition and likely was never issued. I would WAG upward on the value to $3000+. You just don't see CW carbines like that lying around on the street.

FH is probably Fred Harvey, I can't see the other cartouche well enough to determine the initials.

Jim
Old June 27, 2012, 12:04 PM   #8
buckhorn

I read an articles years ago,[and it's still around here someplace] About using 1/2 garden hose to make rubber cartridges for the Smith Carbine. Some of you older guys may have read the same article. As I remember, it worked fine. But I've never archived my books/magazines, so it would take a week to find it. I love Civil War Carbines, but have to admit my favorite is the Spencer, which has been brought back, but very pricey! The Smith was considered a reliable weapon, and I loved the pictures of it posted here by Delmarva. Thanks for posting them.
Old June 27, 2012, 08:36 PM   #9
bedbugbilly

Great photos - your's is a nice one for sure!

Smiths have been reproduced by several companies - mainly for NSSA type shooting.

Go over to the NSSA site - North South Skirmish Association. You will find links to Sutlers who sell the cartridge tubes for these - the Winchester Sutler comes to mind. I believe there are some forums over there as well where you could ask more questions about yours. The NSSA has carbine matches as well as musket and artillery. A number of the members use Smiths. I shot an original many years ago (back int he 60's) that a friend had. Fairly accurate and lots of fun to shoot.

Google NSSA North South Skirmish Association
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63