The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old April 1, 2013, 12:17 PM   #26
YARDDOG(1)

I have no use for a 300 WM,, As the longest shot I coud get would be 200 yards. I use to use my 243 alot untill the under brush started to grow,, Hit a twig & you blown a shot, It happens
I rather use my 06 with 150gr JSP, Rather CHEAP in my book & works great at
the distance I hunt & can Hit what I shoot at ; )
Y/D
Old April 1, 2013, 12:41 PM   #27
L_Killkenny

I've don't watch many of the hunting shows but I've never noticed much in the way of magnum rifles being used. I will say that most owners of any of the magnum rifle rounds own them due to American "magnumitis" and not out of need. Heck, I could care less though. They want em, they can have em by the truck load.
Old April 1, 2013, 01:11 PM   #28
Sure Shot Mc Gee

F23Blackwidow2. You too could be on TV. If you chose to use to use a Barrett 50 M-107 for antelope and all the way up to elephant. I might even tune in to see one of those episode on TV. You have to wonder why we all fill our safes and closets up with so many different caliber rifles. Motto: "Why not just buy one and be done!!" A Barrett would do it for me. How about you?_
Old April 1, 2013, 02:48 PM   #29
HiBC

Shot placement is the first requirement.Very flat trajectories are helpful to a point.

Some of the load manuals offer "maximum point blank" ranges for given bullets/velocities,this is how far you can shoot with + or - 5 in trajectory.

I'm not going to go get the book,but I don't thnk any 7mm mag/300 win mag loads will make 400 yds with max point blank.

1970s,80's,about the best rangefinders were a cheap plastic split image rangefinder that did not work all that well,and a reticle like the mil-dot.Mil dots were uncommon and expensive.A few of us figured out the mildot rangefinding principle could be applied to the known size of a duplex.It was useful that a 6x by 42mm leupold duplex was one mil,center to post.

With those tools to estimate range,and a knowledge of our trajectory,we could "kentucky" and reach out a ways.

Now,folks have 1500 yd lazer rangefinders,kestrel wind meters,I-pads with nightforce software,etc.and great scopes with target knobs

The flat trajectory factor is less important.

You need enough velocity at the animal to make your bullet perform.Bullet manufacturers provide that info.A 165 gr .308 Ballistic tip,I will guess,needs about 1900 fps.That will probably limit your extreme range

You can do all that.

Myself,I use my .257 Ackley on a Mexican Mauser with a 6x scope.

I can rangefind with my duplex well enough to know how to hold,or "too far,get closer"(If an antelope,brisket to whithers,fits right in one mil,its some over 400 yds,I get closer.If he's bigger than one mil,I can look at setting up a shot.)Better he is 1 and 1/4 mil,or 1 1/2.Thats getting closer to 300.

No fumbling with rangefinders,no extra motion,traveling light,and effective.

And no problem keeping my eyes open as I squeeze the trigger.
Old April 1, 2013, 04:16 PM   #30
F23Blackwidow2

Sure Shot Mc Gee,
I like your thinking... But $8000 is a little cheap, don't you think? Cant trust something that inexpensive...
Old April 4, 2013, 10:07 AM   #31
ligonierbill

Never had a .300 Win Mag. Most of my western hunting was with a 7mm Rem Mag, and I now have a .338 Win Mag (dreaming of Alaska). Full disclosure: You will most often see me carrying a 6.5x55 here in the East. But I have to comment on the similarity between this discussion and a couple of "gun safety" discussions on NPR. Kind of "wink, wink" self congratulatory. Can't even imagine how anyone could have a different view. NPR did have a little bitter laughter and cursing, but they didn't quite get to questioning anyone's manhood. Living in SE Idaho, I saw everything from .338 to beat up old 30-30 saddle guns. But the most common rifle carried by the folks I knew was .300 Win Mag. Not that they felt superior to someone carrying a .243; it was simply their choice of rifle. Good hunters learn to shoot their rifle well, and I'm convinced most anyone could shoot my .338 just fine if they put their mind to it and practiced. I think the recoil of that round is overrated. Of course, it's overkill outside of Alaska, but if I ever get the chance to draw down on a big brownie, I won't be worried about my rifle or my marksmanship.
Old April 4, 2013, 08:12 PM   #32
reynolds357

I love the 300 Win Mag. If I could only have one rifle, it would either be my .300 Win mag or my .300 WSM.
Old April 5, 2013, 12:48 PM   #33
1953greg

jdoxo sez it best
"I think the question is why not the .300 win mag?"
ever seen a girl too pretty??!!!!!!!

been hunting w/ a bar 300 winny since 1973
Old April 5, 2013, 06:47 PM   #34
I.R.Chevy

If you load your own bullets you can simply press light loads.

I don't personally own a WM but I do own a 300WSM which is pretty similar. Just cause the case is there doesn't mean it has to be packed full of powder with the biggest .308 caliber bullet you can find rammed in the top.

I have a load that is rather nice to shoot that sends a 165gr cheapo Sierra spbt downrange at2600fps and group into 1/2" at 100yards .
But for the full potential I have a load sending a 200gr Accubond 3000fps grouping 5/8" that is a gun I can take anything from Predators to Deer to Bear.

A 300WM if hand loaded could probably do as good or better than that.

Not hating on the 06 or anything but performance speaks for itself.
Old April 5, 2013, 07:08 PM   #35
jmr40

The 300 WSM may be the most versatile round/rifle combo made just for the reasons I.R.Chevy pointed out. The 300 WM rifles are heavier, but there are many 300 WSM's that are about the same size and weight as a compact 308. They get 98% of the 300 WM's velocity from a shorter barrel and with about 12-15% less recoil. If you don't need full power loads they are easily downloaded to 308 velocity and recoil levels.
Old April 6, 2013, 04:11 AM   #36
Keg

Quote:
If you don't need full power loads they are easily downloaded to 308 velocity and recoil levels.
I don't get this....Just get a 308....
Old April 6, 2013, 07:51 AM   #37
F23Blackwidow2

I understand all if that. It makes sense. But for the sake of my shoulder (and the fact that the last time I shot a .300winmag I developed a flinch in less than 10 shots) I'll stick with my .30-06. Thanks guys!

Ken B.
Old April 6, 2013, 08:40 AM   #38
I.R.Chevy

Quote:
I don't get this....Just get a 308....
May I ask what part don't you get? Maybe I could help you to understand.
Old April 6, 2013, 09:47 AM   #39
reynolds357

I don't get it either. I am no .308 Winchester fan. Its a fine cartridge, but its not the end all cartridge that many try to make it out to be. I guess that's the reason I am no fan of it. I came up in shooting hearing .308, .308, .308, and eventually discovered that it is definitely not the end all cartridge many think it to be.
Old April 6, 2013, 10:45 AM   #40
JerryM

HiBC, +!.

I notice on TV when an animal is spotted they go through the drill of shooting sticks, rangefinders, and maybe the camera. Then if the game is still there they shoot.

No longer is the hunter able to get into a fast sitting position with a shooting sling, estimate the range and shoot.
I liked the old Weaver rangefinder reticle but later used the duplex space to range. I admit I did not try 1,000 yard shots, but instead I liked hunting and not just shooting beyond a range where most game is not spooked because of the range.

I am persuaded that few hunters are really able to find, stalk and take game anymore unless they have ATVs, rangefinders, and bipods.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old April 6, 2013, 12:06 PM   #41
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't be too persuaded of that unless you believe that most hunters have their own TV shows.

I've never met a hunter who hunts like they do on "those" shows.

On the other hand, most shows I see and most hunters I know, don't hunt that way.
Old April 6, 2013, 12:39 PM   #42
JerryM

Brian, I think you are right. I got "carried away" somewhat. However, there are a fair number of questions about 1,000 yard rifles, and some are intended for hunting.

Some years ago there was a discussion about that on some forum. A guide who defended it posted a picture of his dad, and another man beside a road with heavy tripods, that would be used for heavy instruments, and the men with their guns and deer that had been shot at 1,000 yds.. He was proud of that. I could not imagine anything sporting about that type of hunting.

I admit that I do not know any hunters who hunt like that either.

Seeing a 7 year old hunting from a "room" type stand over a planted field and shoot a buck then bragged upon is disgusting to me. Such taking of game is not hunting, but just shooting, and takes no hunting skills.

I guess this is OT as to why the .300, however.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old April 6, 2013, 12:49 PM   #43
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I would agree.
Old April 6, 2013, 02:56 PM   #44
I.R.Chevy

Out where I live we have a lot of road hunters who will drive around in their 4x4 and blow things away with their ridiculously overpowered magnums and brag about it as well. This is also not hunting. I have personally stopped a few that drive around my neck of the woods and told them that a real man would hunt like one.

I also know a lot of land owners with tree stands on their own property who make a weekend of sitting in their 4ftx4ft box drinking whiskey and harvesting their game meat for the year. This unfortunately is not hunting either.

This past season I can proudly say I spent 8 days in the bush with nothing more than what I could carry on my back and filled all my tags. I believe that "roughing it" is the most rewarding way to hunt.

I think if you can't make your shot with what you can carry around in the woods for days at a time then you have no business to hunt with it. The handicap for hunters to deer is already a little unbalanced having a firearm and all ... Why cheat?

/End rant
Old April 6, 2013, 03:50 PM   #45
fishbones182

Quote:
Some men are inherently displeased and unsatisfied with their penis length and hear about it from their wives because its it true. Therefore they feel the need to buy something they cannot handle well or use effectively to prove their manhood. In MOST instances the owners of the .300 Win, Wby, RUM et al fall into this category. Others that fall into the category are diesel truck owners that never pull or only pull a 6000lb or under boat, commute to the office and never actually use it to work.
I drive one of those trucks because im getting 23mpg highway versus 17 with my gas truck so when i do pull my boat its a 65 mile trip to the gulf towing is betting and eaisier with the bigger truck also. I also own and love the 300 win mag but i do prefer the 30/06 for hunting
Old April 6, 2013, 04:13 PM   #46
ligonierbill

Look at it this way, fishbones. If you want to be insulted for your choice of rifles or vehicles, you can find it indexed and waiting at TFL. If you go to NPR for your blood pressure boost like me, you have to wade through the Tappet Brothers, some classical music, and a discussion of the latest brain research before you find Bob Edwards and his angry guests. We shooters of stout rifles might question the manly fortitude of those who don't shoot them, but I notice no one has. We wouldn't do that...would we
Old April 6, 2013, 06:14 PM   #47
buck460XVR

Why do these type of threads always end up in the dumpster? Either you are not manly enough to shoot the .348 bo-zinga or you only have it because of inadequate genitalia. If you ain't like me, you must be wrong. Funny, when I hunt deer with my X-Frame folks accuse me of the genitalia thingy, but when I take the .357 these same folk tell me I am under-gunned and I'm leaving the woods filled with maimed animals dieing a slow painful death. When I take the .44, I get a little bit of both. I finally have come to the conclusion that some folks just need to criticize other folk's choices in order to try and validate their own.

Me, I care less what folks use as long as it's legal and ethical. While it may work for them and not for me, it don't make them wrong, it just makes them not me. I ain't gotta problem with that.
Old April 6, 2013, 06:21 PM   #48
eldermike

I get it, you drive a subaru and shoot a little gun because you are a real man.
Old April 6, 2013, 07:07 PM   #49
Keg

I actually think it boils down to..if U shoot a 300 and get the job done..great!
If U shoot a 308 and it gets the job done great! Shoot whatever U are comfortable/confident in....
Old April 6, 2013, 09:20 PM   #50
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by Eldermike:

I get it, you drive a subaru and shoot a little gun because you are a real man.
No, like the proverbial neutered dog, you don't get it.

If you did, you would not waste the ban width here with your SFB remarks.
Closed Thread