The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 6, 2007, 11:55 PM   #26
arcticap

Alright! That's very impressive accuracy which really can't be improved much at all, especially with the short length barrel and using open sights.
What kind of powder?
Using wonder wads?
Old October 7, 2007, 01:34 AM   #27
marcseatac

Hodgdons Triple Seven FFg exclusively.

I have been using wads and patches with the ball. I used wads with the Buffalo ball-ets. I don't know if they help or not, somebody told me they are good if you are blowing out patches with heavy powder charges.

Using 65 grains as I was, probably didn't need to use them. I don't think they hurt anything.

I forgot to mention the Powerbelts I tried. They were all over the box. That's why I forgot to mention them. I think they might do better with a charge up around 80 grains.

The barrel bore on my Deerstalker is bigger and the .530 balls pushed down easily. This gun needs a .535 ball and accuracy might improve. I'm using .015 patches and the .530 now on my GPR and it takes everything I have to seat the ball on the charge. It's not the case with the Deerstalker.

This target was the bottom target of 4 (at 50 yds) and it shows where everything went. I took this target off the box and shot more at 110 yds, so they are not on this one. This is balls, Ball-ets, Powerbelts, Great Plains and Maxi-Hunters. Notice that although it's pretty spread out there are no "wild" flyers. Thats why I was so impressed.

Last edited by marcseatac; October 7, 2007 at 02:54 AM.
Old October 7, 2007, 02:16 AM   #28
marcseatac

This target was the one at 110 yds shooting to the exact same point of aim. I did this to see how flat the 435 grain Maxi-Hunters would shoot with 65 grains. I'm not proud of this group and I can do better but every target tells a story!

Old October 7, 2007, 05:38 PM   #29
marcseatac

In case anyone was wondering, I only shot 4 on that last target. I got ran out of the spot by some people wanting to sight in modern rifles. They were watching me and asking questions while I was shooting so that's kind of my excuse.

I carried the rifle while hunting this weekend, in the rain of course. Hunting the Capitol Peak forest south of Olympia WA. Gun carries like a dream. I had it cradled across my left arm and I almost forgot it was there. When I flipped it back and forth it seemed almost as if it was custom carved just for my use. I love it.

I want to get a few more rounds through it and adjust the powder charge to as much kick as I feel good about and still hit something. This might be the perfect smoke pole.

Last edited by marcseatac; October 7, 2007 at 09:58 PM.
Old October 7, 2007, 07:08 PM   #30
wild willy

Very nice The only thing I would change would be that folding rear sight had a couple break over the years. Others folded down when I needed them up sometimes seconds count when hunting