The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 15, 2010, 07:59 AM   #1
EvilGenius

Purchase laws Texas/New Mexico

Bear with me, I'm still new to the whole firearms thing.

I've had a couple of .22s for a while and really enjoy plinking, but after shooting a friends P22 I really enjoyed the extra challenge behind hitting a target at distance with a pistol.

Ever since, Ive sort of kept an eye out for a .22LR pistol. At the same time Ive always been attracted to the classic lines of a plain style 1911. Recently, a friend (whom I trust) has offered me on of his 1911s at comparable price to most of the decent .22LR pistols out there and I'm also aware that there are various makers of .22LR conversion for them.

Sounds like a good deal to me since I could have something that's pretty effective for home defense (and CHL later on), but that I could throw $20 at a brick of .22LR and shoot all afternoon at the range.

Where my question comes in is as far as I can tell, in Texas I could buy it from him face to face without any legal issues, but since he lives in New Mexico (who's laws Im not familiar with) I don't know if the laws from my state of residence would apply or if it would still be under New Mexico's purchase laws (assuming they're different).
Old March 15, 2010, 08:27 AM   #2
paull

Purchasing a handgun across state lines requires an FFL on your end to conduct the transfer.

I think...

p
Old March 15, 2010, 08:54 AM   #3
EvilGenius

If I go there and buy it or he comes here and I buy it. Is that still considered "across state lines"?
Old March 15, 2010, 11:38 AM   #4
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
If I go there and buy it or he comes here and I buy it. Is that still considered "across state lines"?
Yes.

Basically, under federal law a resident of one state may not directly transfer a handgun to a resident of another state (no matter where the transaction takes place). The handgun must be delivered to an FFL in the tranferee's state of residence. The transferee and FFL then go through all the usual rigmarole (4473, etc.) required in that state so the transferee can take possession of the gun.
Old March 15, 2010, 12:28 PM   #5
EvilGenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown
Basically, under federal law a resident of one state may not directly transfer a handgun to a resident of another state (no matter where the transaction takes place). The handgun must be delivered to an FFL in the tranferee's state of residence. The transferee and FFL then go through all the usual rigmarole (4473, etc.) required in that state so the transferee can take possession of the gun.
Thanks!

This is what I was looking for.
Old March 15, 2010, 02:46 PM   #6
carguychris

Quote:
Basically, under federal law a resident of one state may not directly transfer a handgun to a resident of another state (no matter where the transaction takes place). The handgun must be delivered to an FFL in the tranferee's state of residence.
+1, but I'd like to mention one other thing.

The easiest way to accomplish this sort of transaction is for both the buyer and the seller to meet with the goods at a friendly FFL dealer in the buyer's state.

2 reasons:
  1. Technically, it's perfectly legal for a nonlicensed handgun seller to ship a gun to the buyer's FFL, but many FFLs refuse to accept such shipments because of potential legal hassles if the gun turns out to be stolen or illegally modified (e.g. serial number filed off or something like that). If the gun will be shipped, the receiving FFL's policies may create the need for 2 transfers, one on each end, doubling the cost. (Most FFLs charge a small fee for this service.) OTOH if you accompany the gun to the buyer's FFL, the FFL can inspect the gun before accepting it, thereby avoiding the risk.
  2. Unlicensed individuals may not ship handguns via US mail, and the large US parcel carriers only allow handguns to be shipped via Next Day Air, making shipment an expensive proposition. It often makes more sense to do things in person if the transaction crosses a convenient nearby border.