The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 14, 2010, 07:43 AM   #1
Glocker89

How to get the bolt/firing pin out?

I'm a newbie to shotguns. I need to take the bolts (action?) out on my mav 88 and moss 500. The firing pin is not striking hard enough on some shells to make them go boom. I don't know how to take that part out. Can someone help or is this going to be hard to do and put back together with out someone here helping?
Old February 14, 2010, 08:07 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TekCslIUWMQ
This is the vid I find to really make it as simple as possible... Pretty easy to do a field strip... Let us know what you find.
Brent
Old February 14, 2010, 08:14 AM   #3
Glocker89

I got it all apart. But how do I get to the firing pin? I have the bolt in my hand but the pin is inside it's hole and I don't see how to get it apart?
Old February 14, 2010, 08:24 AM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

It is held in with roll pins (tiny ones) but I don't pull them. I find there is enuff access to the firing pin thru the ends and from top and bottom with aerosol solvents...

If you have roll pin punches and wish to pull it out, it seems pretty easy. I looked them over plenty of times.
Brent
Old February 14, 2010, 08:51 AM   #5
Glocker89

There was tons of gunk all over the parts that I took out. I cleaned it all. What do I need to put back on all these parts?like oil/lube? I have gun oil. Hoppes gun oil. But do I need to buy something else before I put it back together? And what kind of spray do you use? What brand? Do you just spray it right in the firing pin hole? Thanks for the help. Sorry for the 101 questions.
Old February 14, 2010, 09:01 AM   #6
jlv08

Eezox, Breakfree CLP, graphite, are good choices. WD40 is NOT recommended as it leaves a yellowish gummy deposit.

Is the gun new? If so the factory uses a preservative that needs to be cleaned out of the gun and should be noted in the owners manual to do before shooting.

Most guns are shipped with a preservative to prevent rusting.
Old February 14, 2010, 09:06 AM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

You can boil the bolt in water as well... As it quits boiling on cool down, add a de-greaser soap...

I use simple 3-1 oil, I put a little streak and rub it in, repeating until a very thin film remains.

One or 2 drops on the pins and springs of the trigger group. One on each side in the grooves for carrier and bolt.

One on the tang safety slide area inside.

one 'tween the carrier and bolt and one in each end of pin.

I've never had it seize from cold with this method but cold is relative and I am freezing with 60 or below. Florida boy.
Brent
Old February 14, 2010, 09:09 AM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

As for solvent, I use cheaper ones and even use carb or brake cleaner. I use it in little bursts and put forth more elbow grease.
Brent
Old February 14, 2010, 09:52 AM   #9
Glocker89

I bought the gun at a pawn shop. It was brand new looking. Hadn't been shot that much. When I got it apart it was horrible. There were little nats and grass pieces held inside by gunk. I cleaned it all off and put my gun oil on everything but didn't over oil. I was very worried about getting back together but I got it back real easy. I'm going to buy some stuff to spray the firing pin like you said. I will buy some gun lube also. Next time it will be very easy though. I'm a neat freak about my guns. I was cleaning one of my handguns last night for 4 hours. I take every piece off and scrub till I don't see black on my cloth. I enjoy doing it. I have cleaned that same handgun 3 times this past week and I only shot it once this past week. I also clean my shotgun alot. I just never took it all the way apart. Shotguns been cleaned prob 2 times this week too. I just love guns. Anything to do with guns makes me happy. My dad tells me it's not healthy to be into one thing like guns as much as I am. He says no one likes guns like me. I try defending myself telling him about alot of the guys on here lol. But anyways enough about me. Thanks for the help.
Old February 14, 2010, 10:48 AM   #10
zippy13

Glocker89,
Sorry I'm late to the party; but, I'm on the west coast, and y'alls got an an early start on me. From some of your questions, I'm guessing the fellows at the pawn shop didn't include the owner's manual with your gun. In a perfect world, everyone would peruse the manual before messing with their new gun -- but, it's not a perfect world. Here are the links for the Maverick 88 and Mossberg 500 Owners Manuals, I hope they help you enjoy your new gun.

hogdogs

Brent, my friend, FYI: my first experience with scraping ice from a windshield was not too far from you in Pensacola many years ago. I returned to the car about midnight, it looked to have some dew on the windshield. Hopped in, fired up the engine and turned on the wipers. What the (expletive deleted), the wipers aren't moving the dew, what's up with this? Finally, I used a credit card to scrape the glass clean. The next day I got one of those goodies with a broom on one end and a scraper on the other. I've kept all these years and you'd be surprised by how many SoCal folks ask, "What's that thing?"
NOAA says you might get some rain/snow tonight and tomorrow I'm afraid that's well below 60