The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 2, 2009, 10:09 AM   #1
Crapulence

FEG P9RK Sights

I recently acquired an FEG P9RK. I was told it was problematic, but after cleaning an impressive amount of crud out or the extractor channel it ran through 300 rounds of assorted ammo without a hitch. The trigger is impressive in SA, they must have borrowed a good design from S&W. What I don't like it the sights although they shoot close to the point of impact the blued sights are hard for my eyes to pick up. Replacement part's for this gun are tedious to find at best. I have read that the front sight is "permanently affixed" to the slide. I was hoping that someone here would know if this part was staked or silver brazed in place. I was hoping that it was a staked unit and I could modify another sight to work. Another option is drill out a recess in the front sight and paint in a dot and then slightly widen the notch in the rear sight blade. This is actually my preferred route since it is a virtually free fix for a gun I paid close to nothing for. I just need to have a plan B and C in place in case i screw the pooch. Plan C would be to have a dovetail milled in the front and have much more freedom with sight selection. I suspect that this would cost more than I paid for the gun and would mar the impressive bluing that this pistol has. I apologize if this is a rudimentary question for this area. I was torn as to what was the best section to start teh thread in. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old December 2, 2009, 10:26 AM   #2
Doyle

What I've done with my other milsurp pistols is put a drop of Testors brand white model airplane paint on the front sight. It is cheap, easily replaced or removed, and does a some-what decent job of making the sights more visable for my aging eyes.
Old December 2, 2009, 10:54 AM   #3
CowTowner

I use white automotive touch-up paint the same way as Doyle suggested.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old December 2, 2009, 11:04 AM   #4
Crapulence

The front blade is pretty slick, I was concerned that the paint wouldn't adhere and come off easily during cleaning, thus the small recess drilled to anchor things. I guess there is nothing to lose if it does wipe off easily. Thanks as always for the help.
Old December 2, 2009, 01:01 PM   #5
Doyle

Use a swab wetted with acetone to clean it prior to applying paint. If you ever want to remove it, the acetone wipes it off too.
Old December 2, 2009, 09:10 PM   #6
Crapulence

Thanks all for the recommendations. I gave the sight a close inspection in lieu of eating lunch today. I swear that some drunken Hungarian must have cut the sight out of barstock with some lineman's pliers before mounting it to the barrel. The face had quite a few facets to it. Since I trust my tool using ability much more than my intricate painting ability I ended up center punching the front of the sight and drilling a fairly deep 3/64" hole and filled it with some fluorescent yellow paint I had collecting dust. It took a few layers due to the shrinkage and may need more before its considered done. I also opened up the rear sight a tad so I can see a bit of daylight on either side of the front blade. Overall I am happy with the outcome hopefully I didn't desecrate some Hungarian work of art.

Excuse the picture quality I was too lazy to grab the good camera and macro lens.

Last edited by Crapulence; December 2, 2009 at 10:03 PM.