The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 27, 2009, 01:41 PM   #1
Firepower!

SW Sigma Trigger Job?

Well, all of us know that SW Sigma trigger pull is long and stiff. I want to know if anyone has come up with a solution to make it lighter by polishing, etc. Thanks.
Old October 27, 2009, 02:08 PM   #2
Superhouse 15

I believe clipping a few coils from the sear springs and removing the mousetrap-style spring will do a lot more than a polish job on that particular design. It's just the nature of it, the springs are too strong.
Old October 27, 2009, 03:46 PM   #3
Coop de Ville

Had some success letting a smith polish it a cut a few coils off the trigger spring. It occasionally caused light strikes on some harder primers.

Let us know how it turns out.

-Coop
"If chance be the father of all flesh, disaster is his rainbow in the sky. And when you hear a 'state of emergencies, sniper kills ten, troops on rampage, whites go looting, bomb blasts school,' it is but the sound of man , worshipping his maker." - S. Turner
Old October 29, 2009, 11:03 PM   #4
ferg

try here - caution sailor language

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ighlight=sigma
Old November 1, 2009, 07:37 PM   #5
Kawabuggy

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...internals.html

Lot's of reading, but buried in there are the pearls of wisdom. Many different ways to skin that cat, some work better than others..
Old November 3, 2009, 03:27 PM   #6
abber

I got a Wolff kit for mine, which included a coated steel guide rod and mainspring, and also a lighter striker spring. Improved it some, but still not great. I have gotten used to it. It is a good gun for the money, I think.
Old November 6, 2009, 03:28 PM   #7
Ron Bernert

Stay away from the 3.5lb striker spring if you want reliability. Remove the "mousetrap" spring at the pivot of the trigger assembly. It changed my SW9VE and SW40VE considerably. I never had any issues with the trigger myself, but anyone that borrowed my SW guns and then bought a Glock or XD would complain about it. I changed it just to play around with it and LOVE the lighter pull now. It's very comparable to a Glock trigger now. Value for the money: Excellent. Trigger job: Free. That's my 2 cents.
Old November 7, 2009, 10:41 PM   #8
triggerman770

Sigma

cutting the coils off the trigger spring will change the trigger geometry and may put your butt in a jam if you ever have to put it to it's intended use. get a Wolff kit(complete). A lighter spring will have the proper length to not change the geometry of the fire control unit.
www.georgiacarry.org
Old November 8, 2009, 12:15 AM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

Quite a few people, even some who actually knew what they were doing, have tried to get a decent trigger on that gun. AFAIK, none have really succeeded, including the undersigned.

Jim
Old November 11, 2009, 10:31 PM   #10
croc4

Well here is what I did, and the trigger is better than stock

As mentioned, forget the lighter striker spring, I tried that and while it made the trigger lighter, I started to get light primer strikes after a 100 or so rounds.

I gave all the mating surfaces of the trigger assy a good polish with a dremel and flitz, made them mirror shiny. Then I removed the pig tail spring at the bottom of the assy. Then lubed everything with molly paste, but any good lube should do.

After all of this the trigger is very smooth and is lighter than stock, is it up to sig trigger standards?, heck no, but it never will. But it is much better than stock and I'm happy with it.

Croc4
Old November 23, 2009, 01:52 PM   #11
Ron Bernert

"cutting the coils off the trigger spring will change the trigger geometry and may put your butt in a jam if you ever have to put it to it's intended use. get a Wolff kit(complete). A lighter spring will have the proper length to not change the geometry of the fire control unit"

No, you really don't want to do that. I removed the mousetrap, or pigtail sprint at the BASE of the trigger assembly. It does not change the geometry on this trigger assembly, due to the location of the spring and pivot. If you start hacking off coils to the trigger spring, you're asking for trouble.... It really did make a difference, and it does feel better.
Using the WOLFF striker spring is asking for too light of a primer hit, which will give you problems with reliability.
Old November 23, 2009, 05:27 PM   #12
Atroxus

I don't remember where I saw it, possibly on another forum, but I believe S&W has been fixing these for free.(wish I had heard about it before I sold my SW40VE) Contact the manufacturer, and they will tell you how to go about sending it back to get the trigger done. IMO getting it fixed by the manufacturer for free is much better than paying a gunsmith to correct S&W's mistake, or futzing around on your own and possibly makng things worse.