The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 31, 2015, 01:57 PM   #1
deerslayer303

Traditions 1873 Frontier

I just went and put one on order. I had to support my small town hardware store, so I had him order it for me. He was happy to get my business. I ordered the 5.5" barrel model with the color case hardened frame and Walnut grips chambered in 45 Colt. I can't wait to fire these big slugs. A set of dies and a bullet mold are on the top of the list, whew, almost a buck a round, can get costly quick. I'll post pics of it when she gets here.
Old January 31, 2015, 02:03 PM   #2
45 Dragoon

Deerslayer303,
You will have another use for those cartridges when your Remie gets back!! (If you've got a cylinder that is!!)

Good going by the way!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Old January 31, 2015, 02:32 PM   #3
deerslayer303

Hey thanks, The Remmie will always be a front stuffer, won't say she won't have a conical or two shoved in there a time or two though. I hope these Traditions (Pietta) don't have the billboard slathered on the barrel. It doesn't look like it from the pics. We shall see. This one may make a trip out to see you too Mike, we will see how it is when it gets here.
Old January 31, 2015, 02:36 PM   #4
deerslayer303

Here is a stock photo of the one I ordered. Crappy pic but gives a general idea. I love those checkered grips.
Old January 31, 2015, 04:47 PM   #5
44 Dave

I would have Mike at least do the hammer stop and bolt block, even if every thing feels good.
Old January 31, 2015, 05:39 PM   #6
deerslayer303

44 Dave, What is the benefits of that?
Old January 31, 2015, 06:33 PM   #7
Hawg

The hammer block prevents hammer over travel and the bolt block prevents sideways movement. Personally I don't see either one as being an issue but I do know Wolff springs will make the action a lot smoother and lighter.
Old January 31, 2015, 07:37 PM   #8
45 Dragoon

Well, the bolt block prevents the twisting of the bolt which in turn keeps it from turning into a ramp and being pushed down allowing throw by. It will also compensate for a worn or too large bolt window. It gives the action the most solid lock up that you can get. Since they are a zero tolerance fit (which bolt windows aren't), every SA will benefit. It is also a necessary item for fanning ( which means it protects the bolt).

The stop actually stops the cycle. Otherwise, the cycle stops because the hand is being forced against the cylinder ratchet as you thumb the hammer back ( the bolt has already locked the cylinder.). This saves wear on the hand, ratchet, cyl. locking notch, and the bolt head. These two items are why my service is a lifetime service. Every SA should be equipped with them.

These guns come with "tuned" actions but it is really after mrkt. springs. When I got my El Patron Comp. I took out the wires and put in a combo spring (tuned of course). The wires take away a lot of "feel" to me and aren't as tunable as the flat springs. A bolt block fitted and an action stop installed and the result is a smoother , lighter ,more crisp, "bulletproof" action.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Last edited by 45 Dragoon; January 31, 2015 at 11:49 PM.
Old February 4, 2015, 03:58 PM   #9
deerslayer303

SHE'S HERE Man this thing is sweet. I'm not well versed in the 1873. But for a novice like me, this thing is awesome. Pietta is making some FINE guns nowdays. Can't wait to sling some lead with her.

Last edited by deerslayer303; February 4, 2015 at 04:17 PM.
Old February 4, 2015, 08:30 PM   #10
Sure Shot Mc Gee

The good: This one's got no nipples too loose down the house's drain. The bad: I can imagine a Blackhawk, Bisley, perhaps the real deal a P model some day hanging on your hip.
Handsome looking six gun that Traditions is. No doubt about that sir.
Old February 4, 2015, 08:52 PM   #11
deerslayer303

Haha you remember me losing a few nipples down the drain do ya? And yes you are probably right about the Ruger. But what is a P model?
Old February 5, 2015, 08:45 AM   #12
Sure Shot Mc Gee

your Nipple fiasco. Oh you bet.~~lol
Model P is the real deal >Colt SAA.
BTW: I learned something from this thread 303. I didn't know Traditions had their 1873s made by Pietta. Even so. Now that you got this handsome brand new in the box 1873.__ "Yaw-gotta-go and make some holes with it!!"__
I'm curious to see its 25-50 ft targeting.

Tip: If intending to reload for this pistol. Check out (Castpics) for a recipe.
Old February 5, 2015, 09:54 AM   #13
Trum4n1208

You'll enjoy it. I had a Traditions SAA in .357. It was a gorgeous pistol, and function was top notch. I found I didn't care for the caliber, but getting another one is high on my list, as they're excellent. Pittas cartridge guns, like these Traditions revolvers and their Great Western II line, are exceptional.
Old February 13, 2015, 12:40 AM   #14
campingnights

A handsome piece indeed!

My wife told me that I can't have too many guns, I agreed and told her I can never have too many guns...and then the trouble began