The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 31, 2011, 01:07 PM   #1
LinuxHack3r

Sting Operation or Something Foul?

So I like to browse a gun classifieds site just to keep up on current pricing. I ran across this:

glock 17 and glock 18 9mm $1500

My first reaction was that this was very expensive for 2 Glocks. Then I realized that the G17 was the common 9mm, and if I recall correctly the G19 is the compact version of the G17. That leaves the fabled G18. The selective fire Glock.

So you all reckon this is a sting operation, or someone up to no good that should be reported in order to keep sites like this in business long term?

Edit: Something is interesting. Both the images were pulled from a website called "modelguns-worldwide.com". You can see the watermark in the center of the photo.
Old July 31, 2011, 01:20 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Could be a sting. Could be a misprint. Could be someone outside the US where the guns are legal. Could be a hoax. Could be a dealer sample G18. Pick one, or come up with your own.

As far as I know, there are no GLock 18s in the civilian registry, as this model was not made before the 1986 freeze. There are GLock 18s in the US, but their legal status is for sale only to Full Auto dealers, police and military.

This does not stop them from being stars on U-Tube videos, only from being owned by private collectors. Anyone can shoot one, with the owner's permission, you just can't own it in the US, unless you are in the right legal catagory.
Old July 31, 2011, 02:22 PM   #3
stmcelroy

Could be a scam.

Look at the guys other listings, all over the US. Something don't smell right.
Old July 31, 2011, 07:43 PM   #4
LinuxHack3r

Good catch. Regardless of the situation, a simple button on the site and I reported it because something isn't right for sure.
Old July 31, 2011, 07:54 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Look at the name of the web site. Model guns, as in MODEL guns, aka dummy guns, aka fake guns, aka non-firing replicas, etc.

Jim
Old July 31, 2011, 08:08 PM   #6
JackL

So, let's see. They're advertised on a site that lists real guns for sale. The site that the advertiser initially copied the photos from specializes in fake guns. Taking those factors into account along with the seller's alleged location (Savannah, GA), the status of the Glock 18 (i.e. don't even think about it if you're a civilian), and the asking price, I think this one has "SCAM" written all over it. With a blink tag.

A wrong note played timidly is a mistake. A wrong note played boldly is an interpretation.
Old July 31, 2011, 08:21 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

No dummy, there, just one here. That Glock sure has the go button, so there is something very odd.

There was an M14 for sale a while back that was a BATFE sting. The "seller" (BATFE) claimed it was legal, etc. When the sucker bit, they shipped the gun. Then they waited a while and got a warrant based on "information", confiscated the gun and arrested the buyer. The gun went back for another round. The buyer went to prison or could have, but most ended up setting for a fine and confiscation of all their guns, which is what BATFE was after to begin with.

Jim
Old August 1, 2011, 08:31 AM   #8
Skans

Folks who sell legitimate NFA items, especially machineguns, advertise in a manner where there is no question about the transferability of the gun in question. A legitimate ad will usually specify what transfer costs the seller/buyer are expected to pay, if it's transferable, that it's on a Form 4 or use the term "transferable". Also, folks who are selling legitimate NFA items can generally be contacted with ease and they are willing to discuss the item and terms of transfer. Glock 18's are not transferable to regular folks - red flag #1.
Old August 4, 2011, 10:58 PM   #9
David Hineline

It says right on the box, made in Tokyo, Glocks are not made in Tokyo, they are replica toys not real guns.
Old August 4, 2011, 11:54 PM   #10
gyvel

Quote:
It says right on the box, made in Tokyo, Glocks are not made in Tokyo, they are replica toys not real guns.
Generally speaking, as realistic as they look, the magazines of Japanese model guns (and others) do not accept real cartridges, as they are usually dimensionally slightly smaller, or otherwise modified to prevent the insertion of actual rounds.
Old August 7, 2011, 08:03 AM   #11
Southron

Well, They Tried To Sting Me!

About 20 years ago there was a bar that I hung out in on St. Simons Island, GA. A friend of mine told me that there was a fella there, supposedly he was a retired Marine Corps pilot that wanted to meet me because I had worked in the gun industry at one time.

When I finally met the fellow he bought me a few drinks. I am a pilot and started talking flying with him. It quickly became apparent that whoever this character was, he certainly wasn't a pilot. I didn't let on I saw thru his story.

Then after about an hour's worth of "chit chat" he asked me if I wanted to make $1,000.00 in CASH. He even pulled out his wallet and showed me that it was full of brand new, crisp $100.00 bills.

All I had to do to "earn" the money was to help him load a van full of MAC Model 10's on to a boat there at the Golden Isles Marina. Supposedly the boat loaded with those guns was then going to sail to an undisclosed location in Central America.

I smelled, to quote the movie actor, Jimmy Cagney: "A Big, Fat, Dirty Rat!

I terminated the conversation by telling this character that my advice was that he contact a Customs Broker and determine what legal steps he had to follow to send those guns to Central America.

I got up and left the bar.

Later on, I did find out that he was a government agent.

Then about 5 years ago I was at a gun show and there was a table full of doggy M-16A1 Rifles on it. The sign on the table said:

"Genuine M-16 Army Surplus Rifles for Sale."

The two characters that sat at the table looked too serious and too "out of place" to be gun dealers.

I have often wondered IF they did arrest some boob for thinking he could get a "Genuine Surplus" M-16 from those characters.

There is a lot to be said about being law abiding. For one thing, it keeps you out of jail!
Old August 9, 2011, 09:47 AM   #12
C0untZer0

Our tax dollars at work

1) Two mopes sitting at a table at a gun show - trying to generate an arrest by tricking some naive or ignorant enthusiast into buying a real M16

2) Letting hundreds and hundreds of firearms migrate across the border to Mexican drug cartels.
Old August 15, 2011, 12:27 AM   #13
dajowi

In Great Britain there is a hell of a market for replicas and blank firing firearms. Their laws are so stringent regarding guns that even some replicas are forbidden.

For instance a MKb 42 Assault Rifle replica sells for $1,895.99. This is a display piece only, (doesn't even fire blanks).

In fact it's so real that you can't:

Purchase it in California or Kansas without ordering a frame or presentation box with it.

Cannot be shipped to New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Wisconsin, or Minnesota because it's a post 1898 replica.

Can't be shipped to Canada or overseas.

What a waste of $1,895.99. What's even stranger is that 50 rounds of .380/9mm blank ammo goes for $45-$50. Sure glad I reload the real thing.