The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 29, 2013, 08:20 PM   #1
Rogervzv

Range Report -- New Henry H-001

I recently picked up a new Henry H001. I decided to equip it with a Nikon Prostaff 3x9 40 scope. (My review of the scope is http://www.amazon.com/review/R28MHUK...cm_cr_rdp_perm )

The rifle shot wonderfully well. I was using some VERY mediocre ammunition, Centurion .22 LR LRN to be exact. While not bad, this is not exactly target ammunition. Nonetheless, the Henry did itself proud at the 25 yard limit of our local range. This is 30 rounds at 25 yards from a sandbag rest:

Really loving my Henry H001. The action is buttery smooth, and has there ever been an easier rifle to clean after shooting? This is a very nice precision firearm that has to be regarded as the ultimate plinker...
Old March 29, 2013, 09:01 PM   #2
hootey

N I C E !
Old March 29, 2013, 10:02 PM   #3
alex0535

Any bolt action is easier to clean than a Henry. There are a lot of guns that don't take the removal of 5 screws to field strip. Marlin 336 is 1 screw and the bolt can be removed out the back. Anything other gun is just as simple to run a cleaning rod/bore snake through the barrel.

Not hating on the Henry, I love mine but definitely not the easiest rifle to take down for cleaning, so many nooks and crannies that are best just doused with sray cleaning solvents.

You will probably find that yours isn't picky about ammunition. We shoot sibsonic shorts all the time, rifle holds 21 of them, really accurate. I have a red dot on mine.
Old March 29, 2013, 10:22 PM   #4
Rogervzv

Not really necessary to remove the plate and clean the innards, according to my Smith, since almost all of the crud in a lever action goes out the barrel.

Anyway, I almost put a red dot on this rifle (I am a big fan of red dot sights), but thought I would try a scope and I am glad I did. The rifle is truly a joy to shoot with the Nikon scope.
Old March 29, 2013, 10:44 PM   #5
alex0535

Almost all of it goes out the barrel, not all of it.

It doesn't need to be taken apart a lot, but put a thousand or two thousand rounds through it and tell me that it doesn't get dirty in there. Given enough time mine builds up enough gunk that I have issues with extraction. I take it apart, soak the bolt in naptha for a while, house out the action with break-free clp, and the rifle works better after.
Old March 30, 2013, 08:08 PM   #6
Nine the Ranger

Not to diss your Rifle/Scope combo...

But that large scope looks like it would thrown the balance of the rifle off.

Nice shooting though~
Old March 31, 2013, 11:55 AM   #7
Rogervzv

Quote:
Not to diss your Rifle/Scope combo...

But that large scope looks like it would thrown the balance of the rifle off.

Nice shooting though~
Well, I actually like the heft and weight of the rifle, but this is, of course, a subjective thing. The Henry with this set-up is a real hoot to shoot.
Old April 2, 2013, 03:39 PM   #8
chris in va

Quote:
The action is buttery smooth, and has there ever been an easier rifle to clean after shooting?
I really enjoy my Henry. But I have to completely disagree about the "easy to clean" statement. Hey just wait untill you get a hard jam, you'll change your mind quick.
Old April 2, 2013, 04:06 PM   #9
alex0535

^If, and when it happens. I open the action, unscrew and remove the ammo tube empty out any remaining rounds. 1 might stay in the action. Press this round down with a finger and tap the round out with a cleaning rod. Remove cleaning rod and cycle the remaining round into the chamber and then cycle again to extract.

If and when this happens to me, the rifle is due for a thorough cleaning. Take the receiver off. Soak the bolt in naphtha. Scrub out the barrel with brass brush, cleaner, and patches . Douse the receiver and cover in in break-free clp. clean as good as you can. Remove bolt from naphtha, wipe off excess. Allow to dry . Re-oil. Put back together.
Old April 2, 2013, 07:12 PM   #10
new_camper

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the Henry?
Old April 2, 2013, 08:50 PM   #11
Mauser8mm

Wow!

Excellent Grouping! And the Nikon is a great scope!

It's better to be silent and called a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt