The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 2, 2013, 01:45 AM   #1
S.L.Y.

Help! AR-15 removable carry handle thumb screw striped!

Please help my Stag-Arms AR-15 model L1 with removable carry handle, The thumbscrews that retain the carry handle on the rail of the upper receiver one of them is stripped on the opposite side so when turning the thumbscrew the pin just spins in place so not allowing you to loosen and remove from the upper receiver rail. I'm wanting to remove the handle so I can install scope in its place. Scope is just to high mounted on the handle. Any recommendations on this project would be really helpful. And I would be grateful. Thank you.

Last edited by S.L.Y.; February 2, 2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old February 3, 2013, 12:41 AM   #2
S.L.Y.

Success!

Well got the "Removable"carry handle off the receiver rail. Was able to remove the front thumb nut from the screw. From there I pushed the screw threw which created a space between the handle and the bracket I wedged a large Allen wrench in the space and tapped it toward the the one that was spinning that created enuf tension where it wouldn't spin allowing me to remove the thumb nut. There by allowing me to remove the handle.! However note: if you do this it will bend the bracket for the handle. For me this is not an issue I did not want it to begin with.

Tags
ar carry handle , help a lefty , scope mounting , striped screw