The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 9, 2010, 04:49 PM   #1
Fingers McGee

3rd model Dragoon with Leaf sight on barrel

FYI

Dixie/ASM 3rd model dragoon with 3 leaf rear sight on barrel;

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=199685282

For those of you interested.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old November 17, 2010, 02:32 PM   #2
bprevolver

Delete

Last edited by bprevolver; November 17, 2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Delete
Old December 31, 2010, 12:51 AM   #3
arcticap

The price of this same one was lowered from $299 to $239 plus shipping:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=208830853
Old December 31, 2010, 04:40 AM   #4
Doc Hoy

Yup

I am watching that one plus a couple others.

I have an ASM Walker and it is a good pistol.
Old December 31, 2010, 09:46 AM   #5
madcratebuilder

I have searched often for these. I found a larger version but no cigar!

Old December 31, 2010, 01:02 PM   #6
sltm1

Somebody buy it....I'm broke. Here's where the last of my 2010 budget went.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Remie3.jpg (46.6 KB, 51 views)
Old December 31, 2010, 01:32 PM   #7
Doc Hoy

All Righty Then!

Zat an original?!

With just a little prompting I might throw a bid on the Dragoon. I need all three of them and this would be a good start.

239.00 seems more than fair. I wonder if anyone is seeing something wrong with it. From the photos the sight looks credible.
Old December 31, 2010, 02:38 PM   #8
Fingers McGee

Doc, It is a true replica of a 3rd model Dragoon - down to the leaf sight. There were a few hundred 3rd models sold in pairs with matching serieal numbered buttstock sold to the Army in late 1850s (1858 IIRC). The Dixie/ASM replicas are generally pretty good, and $239 is a really good price. If I didn't already have one - and have spent all my money on an M4Carbine and subcaliber adapter - I'da jumped on it.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old December 31, 2010, 02:39 PM   #9
sltm1

Naw, it's a 97' Pietta. Got it for $110.00, put $40.00 in it along w/ a bunch of time, browned it and shot it yesterday. A 4" pattern at 25 yds off hand, 2 handed, 25g fff a greased wad and a 451 rb. The bob job on the bbl was homemade, but crowned properly. After buying my Savage Navy this fall, I wasn't supposed to get nothin' till 2011. But my wife always leaves me a little "wiggle room" LOL.
Old December 31, 2010, 03:22 PM   #10
Doc Hoy

It is the principle of the thing

I am going to let it go. And I will tell you why.

$30.00 for priority shipping! That is three times what it costs to ship this pistol priority to any ZIP code in the US. It is twice what Taylors gets for shipping. And I am not going to pay it. If the seller would simply add fifteen bucks to the price and charge a reasonable rate for shipping I would be all over this pistol but I am not going to be made a fool of.

I simply hate it when a seller adds a flock of dough to his shipping so he can make more money on an item by hiding money in shipping. I would expect this kind of crap from some TV huckster or from used car salesman. I do understand that it costs money to pack stuff and carry it to the post office but 30 bucks is outrageous.

Go ahead and tell me that I am being simple minded and that I am turning my back on a good deal for no good reason. It is the principle of the thing. Let this SOB sell the pistol to someone who has lower standards.

Last edited by Doc Hoy; December 31, 2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old December 31, 2010, 04:09 PM   #11
mykeal

Ok. You are...
Quote:
...being simple minded and that I am turning my back on a good deal for no good reason.
However, I agree with you.
Old December 31, 2010, 08:31 PM   #12
napp

Good call, Doc. I've had the same standards since high school. I didn't mind the school so much; but I hated the principal of the thing.
Old December 31, 2010, 09:37 PM   #13
sewerman

i had a third model back in late 78-80s.

i got it new for $78.00! wish i still had it.

did historical impressions sold it to fund my persona.

shot excellent & accurate too. keep up with my friends Ruger OA.

p.s. doc....my experience on many of those auctions is the seller wants to make a profit front & back. they soon wise up or stop selling.

S.M.

"They that can give up an essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety!" Benjamin franklin

The Armed Citizen PREVENTS tyranny!
Old January 1, 2011, 01:10 AM   #14
Hawg

So you're saying it isn't worth 269.00 shipped?
Old January 1, 2011, 02:30 AM   #15
arcticap

The seller lists that it will be shipped by Priority Mail which can cost at least $15 - $20 with insurance depending on which flat rate box it will fit into.
Then some sellers who have a lower asking price want the buyer to pay for the Gunbroker auction value fee which is $6.60 for an auction with a $239 selling price.
Some sellers don't even ship using the USPS flat rate boxes which can add even more to the Priority Mail shipping cost depending on the Zip Code and shipping weight.
For instance, that seller resides in Florida. A 6 pound package sent from Tampa, FL to Los Angeles, CA would cost $19.90 by Priority Mail (without a flat rate box). Then $269 worth of insurance would cost an additional $4.70 for a total of $24.60.
Then adding in the $6.60 in auction fees would total $31.20 in expenses in addition to the selling price of the gun.
The seller obviously wants the buyer to pay those costs in consideration for the low selling price. The seller might only receive about $239 for the gun in the end after expenses. Even if the actual cost of shipping was $5 less because of a closer Zip Code or flat rate shipping, that still seems to be a fair price for that gun after everything is factored in.
The price would be the same if the seller had listed the gun for $249 plus $20 shipping.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=209349441

Last edited by arcticap; January 1, 2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old January 1, 2011, 02:41 AM   #16
Hawg

I look at the total price of something. I don't nitpick. If after everything has been added on it's still within what I'm willing to pay I get it.
Old January 1, 2011, 05:56 AM   #17
Doc Hoy

Two at once

"So you're saying it isn't worth 269.00 shipped? "

Not having examined the pistol I can't say but I assume that it is....In fact I assume it is worth more than 269.00 delivered. As I said, it is the principle of the thing. What I am saying is that the shipping is not worth $30.00. It was the seller who said the pistol was worth 239.00. Why not $30.00 for the pistol and 239.00 for shipping?

To Articap: A Walker will fit into a 10.90 Flat rate box. So a Dragoon will too. The seller did not mention insurance that I can recall, but lets say he did.) The post office will deliver the boxes and pick up the item for mailing. So if you add insurance that leaves 14.40. It takes not more than ten minutes to box up the pistol and put my address on it. If the seller is running a business and can box more than one item at a time that "per/item" packing time comes way down. If he sells five pistols his additional funds amount to seventy bucks (I figure bubble wrap costs a little bit too.) and it took him about 30 to 40 minutes. If he doesn't insure the pistols, it is up to about a 90 - 100 dollars.

If the pistol had been listed at 249.00 plus 20.00 for shipping I'd have bid on it. I stopped checking on the auction with about three hours left. At that time it had not sold.

When I was buying my truck, I negotiated the deal with the saleman/sales manager and wound up at 10,900 out the door. I verified with the guy that I would need to write a check for 10,900 when I came back. When I came back the invoice said 11,349. I asked where the extra 449.00 came from and the salesman said it was a processing fee. I told him he could keep his f__ng truck. I know that all dealers charge a processing fee. But it is only the dishonest dealers who lie about it. I went to a different car lot and there was a huge sign on the wall saying that there was a 249.00 processing fee attached to all transactions. That is where I bought my truck.

I just want people to be straight with me.
Old January 1, 2011, 09:53 AM   #18
junkman_01

Doc,

I admire your priciples and have the same principles as you do.
Old January 1, 2011, 10:16 AM   #19
madcratebuilder

What IF, the seller has a thirty mile drive to the post office, gas at 3.00 a gallon and he gets 10mpg in his truck?

Plus new PO rates as of today. ^$$$^

$30 S&H is a little high but not unrealistic. You can find GB listing with 40 and 50 dollar S&H. I just consider the total price and factor that into my bid.
Old January 1, 2011, 10:31 AM   #20
junkman_01

Quote:
What IF, the seller has a thirty mile drive to the post office, gas at 3.00 a gallon and he gets 10mpg in his truck?
That's his problem. He shouldn't try and to gouge on the shipping/handling to make his price look better!
Old January 1, 2011, 11:00 AM   #21
Doc Hoy

Let me be clear on this

I don't want to put myself in the position of criticizing those who look at the bottm line price without regard to how the various parts of the cost break down. If I were to adopt that point of view, I might well be waiting for this pistol in the mail right now. I would very likely forget the cost for shipping the first time I opened the package.

As regards the trip to the post office, the letter carrier will pick up flat rate boxes without charge. You can also order the boxes from the post office and have them delivered. The Post Office has really made flat rate priority shipping painless and relatively inexpensive.

Ther is another aspect of online auctions which I have not yet been able to explain.

I had a bid on a barrel and cylinder from Old Western Scrounger. The high bid was 49.00 and my bid was 55.55. It was mine at 49.00. But then at the last second, the cost went up to 55.55 and there appears to have been no other bidder. I am thinking that there is software that OWS is using which finds a way to sense the maximum bid and then increase the price on the item to that amount. If I were to learn that this is true, I would stop dealing with him.

From now on, since I don't know for sure, I will bid the required amount to get to be high bidder and not add the cushion. To this point I have been entering the bid that I am willing to pay and just figuring that if I win the bid or lose the bid that it is a matter of fate.
Old January 2, 2011, 01:56 PM   #22
Doc Hoy

Hows this?

Auction Arms

http://www.auctionarms.com/closed/di...emNum=10100971

Guess who won the auction!

Old January 2, 2011, 02:04 PM   #23
junkman_01

Doc,

Looks good. Be happy with it and congratulations.
Old January 2, 2011, 11:34 PM   #24
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Guess who won the auction!
Some ole curmudgeon named D*****Y

Congrats Doc.
Old January 3, 2011, 10:22 AM   #25
Hardcase

That one looks like a peach! Good on ya, Doc!