The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 24, 2014, 10:00 PM   #1
steveNChunter

Anybody still using Reloader 12?

When I started getting into reloading a couple years ago, I inherited several containers of powder from my dad, who hasn't done much reloading in the last 15 years. Among those powders was a full, unopened pound of Hercules (now known as Alliant) Reloder 12.

I know Alliant stopped making it several years ago. He told me he used to use it for .223 loads when he went prairie dog hunting. I already have good loads worked up for my .223's using Varget, so I figure I'll give the RL-12 a try with my fresh .308 build. I have one of dad's old Sierra manuals that lists data for RL-12 with the 150 gr pro-hunters I'll be using. I figure I might as well get some use out of the powder even though its no longer made and current data is non-existant. Was there a powder that took RL-12's place?

Is anybody else still using RL-12? If so do you use it for 150 gr .308 loads? Is it a good powder to use or is there a good reason it's not made anymore?