The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 10, 2013, 04:38 PM   #1
elwaynum1

Thoughts on move to Colorado

My wife and I are about to graduate from graduate school and are thinking about a move to Colorado from Texas to be closer to the slopes and we want to know what we should expect if any of you have any insight?

Property taxes? State income tax? Gun/hunting legislation? Cost of living?

We're thinking we'll be in or around Colorado Springs.

Thanks in advance.
Old February 10, 2013, 08:21 PM   #2
Ridge_Runner_5

Colorado is, at the moment, very conservative with regard to gun laws. All Class III are allowed, most Sheriffs will sign off on NFA, the state is shall-issue CCW.

Denver itself has a hi cap mag bag (20rd limit) as does I think Vail. The rest of the state has no such law.

However, there are a number of bills currently being presented which would limit some freedoms.

-HB 1224 would limit mags to 10 rounds state wide
-HB 1228 would require gun buyers pay an extra fee for Colorado's duplicate background check process (have to go through the FBI check as well as Colorado Bureau of Investigation check)
-HB 1229 would require 4473s completed for private sale of firearms

Colorado Springs is probably the most conservative city on the Front Range.
Old February 11, 2013, 12:02 PM   #3
Edward429451

Colorado Springs is a nice place to live. We have the make my day law, castle doctrine is recognized and there are plenty of free places to shoot for free in the mountains. The economy is very tight here, the police are strict, and most of the city is on meth. But it is a nice place to live.
Old February 11, 2013, 12:07 PM   #4
lcpiper

And it's also home of the Army's Fort Carson. It's a FORSCOM Base so it's home to some combat units. That also means there is government work available on the base.
Old February 11, 2013, 12:21 PM   #5
horatioo

is it because of the legal weed?
Old February 11, 2013, 10:06 PM   #6
chris in va

Having lived in both places, I highly recommend you spend two weeks in CO just living among the locals. It's gonna be a huge adjustment coming from The Republic of Texas.
Old February 11, 2013, 10:22 PM   #7
Pilot

The fact that the legislature and Governor are controlled by the Dems scares the heck out of me, especially with the pending anti (legal) gun bills.
Old February 11, 2013, 10:34 PM   #8
Buford_Tannen

Just did my taxes and an interesting question came up on the form. When I entered the tuition deduction for my kids in college it asks if they have been convicted of felony drug possession. Whats that about? Just remember elwaynum1, if you are moving there for the weed - no tuition discount on your taxes.

Other than that I love Colorado and have visited there many time. Made me sad last time when it Rocky Mount NP - so many the trees killed by pine beetle.

Ya and I like guns (to stay on topic.)
Old February 11, 2013, 11:55 PM   #9
Dr Big Bird PhD

Colorado is going blue really fast. I would stay away.

(When I say this, i mean in regards to guns)
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old February 12, 2013, 12:11 AM   #10
breakingcontact

I absolutely love CO, but
Quote:
The fact that the legislature and Governor are controlled by the Dems scares the heck out of me
and yes, it is "going blue" very quickly.

Such a shame, I don't know how these population/political shifts occur. You leave your failed state (California) for a place with more economic freedom and opportunity, then try to make it like where you left. I'm see it here in ATX.

I don't see how I don't end up in Utah/Idaho/Wyoming eventually.
Old February 12, 2013, 12:30 AM   #11
db4570

Quote:
Having lived in both places, I highly recommend you spend two weeks in CO just living among the locals. It's gonna be a huge adjustment coming from The Republic of Texas.
I'm hoping you can elaborate on this a bit, Chris. I am looking to eventually move west from the northeast, and I considered Texas very seriously, spending some time there traveling around and scouting out work opportunities. But lately I have been thinking I need real mountains, and have been looking at Colorado. I have been there a few times, but never really had the change to mingle with the locals that much.

I liked the most of the people I met in Texas quite a bit. Very friendly and real and upbeat.

Any insights are appreciated. Thanks!

David
Old February 12, 2013, 12:33 AM   #12
Darren007

Quote:
Such a shame, I don't know how these population/political shifts occur. You leave your failed state (California) for a place with more economic freedom and opportunity, then try to make it like where you left. I'm see it here in ATX.
And that's exactly what happened to us. In the late 80s and throughout the 90s there was a massive wave of people moving from California to Colorado and among other things, they brought their politics with them. It's still a pretty cool place to live, but the cost of living keeps going up and it is definitely becoming more and more of a blue state with each passing month.

I'm not a big fan of Colorado Springs. Everyone talks about how nice it is there. Personally, I think its a dump. It has a pretty big gang, drug and illegal immigrant problem and its home turf for the Sons of Silence. Not saying Denver or the rest of the Front Range is much better, but of all the cities I could live in, Colorado Springs would be towards the bottom of the list.

Also, avoid the city of Boulder. It's a hardcore liberal/hippie democrat city that almost makes San Francisco look conservative.

Last edited by Darren007; February 12, 2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old February 12, 2013, 12:56 AM   #13
scrubcedar

Southern Colorado, South of Pueblo that is, is still pretty conservative. Democrat conservative but conservative nonetheless.
You'd probably be pretty happy there. The outskirts if Pueblo is where I grew up. It is the friendliest place I've ever been. No one cares about White, Black , Hispanic etc. If you go there you will find your neighbors act like neighbors. You'll have to be careful, it will worm it's way into your heart very quickly. Lot's of rural folks "out in the county"where I grew up.
The third lowest cost of living in the U.S.
The scrubland around the city is what they meant when they coined the phrase"God's Country", and a little gunfire doesn't worry anybody.
If you decide to even look there PM me and I'll guide you to the neat places.
Old February 12, 2013, 08:17 AM   #14
MagnumWill

I can't wait to get back to CO. I took a (great) job here in CA, but I can't stand the silly laws and prices of everything. I've been able to keep my sanity since all of my colleagues are all gun guys, so we can all chat and console each other about our out-of-state ARs and AKs.

Coming from Texas to CO, you won't find much different in gun-ville (hopefully it stays that way).

20 round mag limit in Denver? I didn't know that. Whoops I don't think anyone knows or cares...
Old February 12, 2013, 11:34 AM   #15
Carne Frio

Some are wanting to move to Colorado and some are wanting
to move out of there. Here is what Magpul Industries is saying.
https://www.facebook.com/magpul/posts/428803833863947
Old February 12, 2013, 06:40 PM   #16
Mike1

Taxes in Colorado Springs and El Paso County are reasonable.

Gun laws aren't too bad yet, but that may change after this week.

Hunting rules need some reading to make sure you're in compliance with regs, but compared to other places I've been, they are OK. Licenses for most big game species are by drawing (deadline this year is Apr 2). There are over the counter licenses for antlered elk, bear, and archery antelope You need to have lived in the state for six consecutive months before you can get resident hunting or fishing licenses.

Cost of living in the area is much less than, say, the Denver metro area. Pay is generally lower due to the lower cost of living, but it evens out.

Mike
Old February 12, 2013, 06:43 PM   #17
Ridge_Runner_5

After a 6 hour long public hearing regarding HB 1229, it survived committee 7-4 on party lines and goes to the floor of the house for a vote.