The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 4, 2010, 11:17 PM   #101
dec41971

Lets say you travel state to state, what are the laws about carrying these sort of knives? Don't you run the risk of getting arrested for "weapons violations" What is the general rule here?
Old April 5, 2010, 05:03 AM   #102
BlackFeather

Don't carry any knife concealed. Make sure the state allows the specific design. Most states only allow fixed blade knives if they are visible.

http://www.thebladeshop.com/State_Knife_Laws_s/478.htm

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old April 5, 2010, 05:44 AM   #103
JustDreadful

Emerson Kerambit.

Quote:
This tactic is taught by Special Forces;
Oy.

"Life being what it is, one dreams of revenge."
Old April 6, 2010, 01:43 AM   #104
BlackFeather

My thoughts exactly. That is a very easy grip to lose your knife from. I would rather hold it in a horror movie stabbing grip...

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old April 8, 2010, 12:00 PM   #105
nefprotector

I prefer the Kershaw Junkyard Dog.
Old April 8, 2010, 01:39 PM   #106
outdoorman63

i have carried a Benchmade for years, anything now with there axis lock is what i carry
Old April 8, 2010, 02:19 PM   #107
oldone

I carry a Buck assisted open knife where ever I go. Just a little nudge on the thumbstud and it opens super fast. Good ole american made material.
Old April 8, 2010, 03:33 PM   #108
nathaniel

I've went through literally hundreds of knives but the one I have now is the one I'll get for the rest of my life its a Gerber F.A.S.T. knife. It takes and holds an edge very well and its descreet. I used it just about everyday for a year and I havent been dissapointed yet. I used to carry a neck knife but the cops harrased me too many times and I put it away until I get my cc permit(im too young to carry a firearm).
Old April 17, 2010, 05:57 PM   #109
indie

Kershaw OSO Sweet
Old April 20, 2010, 12:20 PM   #110
Mannlicher

I carry a knife of one sort or another, often more than one. They are tools. They could be weapons, but then I am not trained in that use, don't care to be, and would have to be darn desperate for me to utilize a knife that way.
I carry a gun for those bad moments.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old April 21, 2010, 10:20 AM   #111
doc540

carry the knife but not the Commander
Old April 21, 2010, 10:36 AM   #112
coldpointcrossing

Not my pic but my knife -

SOG VL-01 Vulcan
Old April 21, 2010, 11:21 AM   #113
TSR80

I carry a small Winchester utility knife. I use it for cutting things, whatever I may have to cut at any given time. That could include BGs, but honestly I don't see it happening.
Old April 21, 2010, 11:22 AM   #114
TSR80

Quote:
I carry a knife of one sort or another, often more than one. They are tools. They could be weapons, but then I am not trained in that use, don't care to be, and would have to be darn desperate for me to utilize a knife that way.
I carry a gun for those bad moments.
Exactly.
Old April 21, 2010, 01:12 PM   #115
elwaynum1

Cheap but has done its job so far.
Old April 22, 2010, 12:09 PM   #116
OldGreg

I just picked up a Kershaw Leek G10, and i'm very,very impressed! I have a Benchmade HK Nitrous Blitz that'll be demoted to my camping toolbox now that i have that Leek.
Old April 26, 2010, 03:34 PM   #117
booker_t

I like the Kershaw Blackout (Ken Onion design) and Cold Steel Recon 1.

But there's tons of great carry knives from Emerson, Benchmade, Spyderco, etc. The Griptillian is a very popular model.

Generally, if (as you do) I'm going to carry my knife as a tool more than a self-defense item, I want something under $100 that I don't mind scuffing up when I use it. The Blackout is $30-50 on various websites, really can't beat it in my opinion. Assisted opening, great steel, comfortable in the hand and my favorite feature is the clip is right at the edge, so it rides very low in the pocket.
Old April 26, 2010, 07:35 PM   #118
EnoughGUN

I carry one of two knives a Kershaw Speedbump or these days a Benchmade LFK. I live in MD which does not allow me to carry my handgun but in an amazing laps of reason does allow you to carry concealed any folding knife not automatic or straight out opening. I figure the the LFK is significant enough to dissuade an attacker or be a good defensive weapon if I have to use it. I think most everyday knives people carry for basic utility are too small to be very useful against a determined attacker if you are not highly skilled in fighting with it. Imperfect logic and an imperfect solution I agree but the best I could come up with. I thought about a Kimber JPX or something like that for me and my GF but as far as I can tell they wont allow that either.
Old April 27, 2010, 10:39 AM   #119
MoBart

When I worked uniform security, I always carried a benchmade automatic and occasionaly a neck nife under my uniform shirt. The main idea being as useful pocket knife / last resort gun grab and or angry puppy demotovator. I know that sounds kinda dumb, try to draw a weapon from a safety holster align your sigts and get an incapacitating shot on a dog (even a big one) before he changes your gender. It starts to make more sense. As a Marine I've usually carried the same benchmade autos, but they became way more utilitarian and served years as fantastic pocket knives, that could be used as a last resort weapon if need be. I am a bail bondsman and carry a benchmade auto occasionaly while doing things connected with that, but my main job is as a car salesman, please save the jokes unless its a good new one. I carry a small drop point buck clip folder, and either a gerber back up boot knife on my ankle or a neck knife that hides exectionaly well under my tie and is still fairly accesable if something really bad happens. I am not allowed ot carry a weapon at work so my pistol stays in my car, I feel fie with the knife around my neck, its an old CRKT KISS fixed blade with a kydex sheath on a dog tag chain. Neck knives are (at least around here) closely associated with bikers, and of the few I have dealt with as a bondsman, most carry a knife in this fashion. Thats bikers guys, not motorcycle riders, lots of difference. But, if you look at the tactics and methodology of any group that regularly uses a piece of equipment, you get a good understanding of how it can work for you as well.
Old April 27, 2010, 10:56 AM   #120
Haifisch

Spyderco Military model for me.
Old May 2, 2010, 08:11 AM   #121
Para Bellum

Cold Steel 4" Ti-Lite.
Old May 2, 2010, 09:21 AM   #122
popeyespappy

Benchmade Sequel

Or a Cold Steel medium Voyager

Old May 12, 2010, 07:19 PM   #123
thmsmgnm

While I would never leave home without a gun or spare mags, the truth is my CRKT or my Cold Steel tactical folders have solved more real world problems or got me through more screw up situations than my Glock or my 1911 ever has.

I have cut my way out of a picket line when I was tied up with a scared thrashing pony. I had to cut my way out of a seatbelt in an overturned car. Not real James Bond type of action but the pony was well on it's way hurting both of us, and being trapped in an overturned car with the engine that was running at full speed was more thank a little worrisome. There have been other less memorable events when the knife I was carrying was more useful than my guns.