The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 7, 2013, 08:28 PM   #76
Spats McGee
Staff

I would not decide on caliber based on the Great Ammunition Panic of 2013. IMO, either buyers will run out of money, or someone will crank up more production. Either way, supply will eventually catch up with demand.

That said, now that I realize you're in CA and have a 10 round limit, I would look much harder at either 9mm or .45, and I'd skip .40. This is entirely a matter of opinion, and it's worth exactly what you've paid me for it. I'd look at the purpose of the pistol:

Targets -- 9mm for ammo costs. It's hard to find right now, but that will not always be the case.

HD/SD -- .45 acp. Please don't misunderstand me. 9mm is a capable SD round. However, if I'm going to be limited to 10 rounds, I'd rather carry 10 rounds of .45 than 10 of 9mm.
Old April 7, 2013, 08:35 PM   #77
Skitter

Quote:
Try the PX4 full size (twist barrel) w/ a Hogue HandAll using 40 cal and see if you still feel the same on control of follow up shots. I don't have any problems. You will be surprised how easy the perceived recoil feels compared to many of the 9mm's. To echo Skitters comments: it's all about the platform

Especially with the OP's comments on limited capacity, I would rather carry a heavier framed 40 with 10 bullets than a 9mm with 10 bullets.
Old April 9, 2013, 08:06 AM   #78
Buckdown

Depends what your main purpose and usage for the gun will be.Then choose the best options for that purpose
Old April 20, 2013, 08:59 PM   #79
Hundy

Finally made a decsion or pulled the trigger.

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered one. I read the replies here and on other threads on this forum. When I originally posted this thread, my intent was not to start the big debate and disagreements, however, thank you for all the replies.
I ordered a Smith and Wesson M&P40 compact.
My reasons were; information on this site, a-lot of my co-workers all have 40's and love them, some have multiple 40's and swear by them. I got the compact, becuase I can only hold 10 rounds here in California, why get a full size that can hold more, when I can only hold 10. Plus all my current pistols are full size, I do not own any compacts.
So I paid 30% and I am on the list when one comes in.
I would eventually like to own both but, can only afford to get one for now.

Thanks again for the imput and advice

Jay
Old April 20, 2013, 09:36 PM   #80
Jaywalker

Here's an interesting link to an alternate look at handgun stopping power, FWIW: http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7866

Personally, I think the 9mm is fine and will stick with standard pressure as some others have mentioned. In the past I chose to standardize on 9mm for simplicity since I believe it's as good as any other handgun round and the 9mm is cheaper.

Still, the Great Ammunition Panic of 2012/2013 is a pretty good indicator and there's no reason it can't happen again. I may just buy a 40 or 45 for my next purchase in order to have a good chance to find the ammo next time. FWIW. I'd never sell all my 9mm handgun's, though, and if I had to have only one, that's what I'd have, first and last.

Last edited by Jaywalker; April 20, 2013 at 10:23 PM.