The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 6, 2010, 12:20 PM   #1
QBall45

S&W 669 safety/decocker loose

My Dad's got an older S&W 669 (I thought it was a 6906 & I was wrong). The safety/decocker lever on the right side likes to shoot loose. We've tried tightening it. Tried lock tight. It still wants to shoot loose after just a couple of mags.

Any ideas other than just selling it off & getting something else? Dads not thrilled about getting another gun/mags/holster for just a couple more years of work.

Last edited by QBall45; January 7, 2010 at 12:16 AM. Reason: I had the wrong model # it should have been 669 not 6906.
Old January 6, 2010, 12:38 PM   #2
steveracer

The starboard side safety...

Is the pin missing? There is a little pin and spring that sit under the safety lever, and it holds the lever in place. This is a $3 part from Numrich's.
Alternatively, very nice 6906s can be had for about $400, and you could easily replace it and keep the mags/holsters/etc and have a very nice gun to replace it. I bet if you tried you could sell yours here or at the S&W forum easy.
Look at the barts breakdown on the Numrtich's site, and see if the part is missing or broken. That's my bet, and it will cost very little.
Old January 6, 2010, 01:16 PM   #3
QBall45

Thanks,
I found the diagram you mentioned. However, I'll have to wait till I get home to look. The screen on my crackberry to too small to make out the detail.

If there is to be a spring & pin, its missing. There is a screw that holds the right side lever in place. I saw no place for a pin or spring. I'll look closer next time I see my Dads gun. (Should be saturday)
Old January 7, 2010, 12:23 AM   #4
QBall45

Please forgive me for I screwed up. I posted the wrong model # when I originally started this thread. I'm sure there may be a difference in the safety/decocker assemblies on the 6906 & the 669. And so after another conversation with my Dad I discovered my error and decided I'd better correct it. The correct model of the gun in question is the s&w 669. Sorry for the confusion.