The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 4, 2007, 09:52 PM   #1
smince

Gunfighting At Close-Range

Gabe Suarez' Extreme Close Range Gunfighting

I took this course in Gadsden this weekend. I wish I could have taken something like this 20 years ago. It would have saved me a ton of ammo and a lot of money.

We shot at angles, to our sides, behind us, one-handed, weak handed, all while moving from the BG. His main theme is to "get off the X", that is to say, move so you won't be a stationary target. Ranges were from actual contact to about 10 feet.

We shot from sitting and from vehicles, and did some two-man tactics. Close to 500 rounds in two days. And we did Force-on-Force with Airsoft against each other. This really shows if the tactics work or not. And my right nipple is still hurting from taking a direct Airsoft hit even with a t-shirt and two sweatshirts on.

Shot my Glock 30 Saturday about 250 rounds. One malf, I didn't seat a mag in far enough. Shot my Colt Defender Sunday, over 200 rounds. I had two bad mags that I thought I had separated, but they got mixed into the good mags and as Murphy would have it, I drew both for one stage. They are in the trash now. Otherwise the Defender worked like a champ, too.

High cap mags aren't a bad thing. We found out that moving and shooting, you may miss.

Glocks and 1911's were about evenly mixed, two XD's, a Kahr, and a couple of SIG's in the class. A few AL LE officers, BASF security, a Doctor, an investment banker, couple of Army SF-types, a individual from the Dominican Republic, and a few regular guys like myself all terrorized Gadsden this weekend. 17 in all.

The Kahr and a Kimber Ultra CDP were very unreliable in this class. It wasn't a beginners class and a couple of people probably shouldn't have been there, but they kept up.

Gabe Suarez is a very good instructor. He treated us like adult customers or clients, not as a DI. He is serious but also interjects much humor. Not PC in the least. You wanted to listen to him like he was a friend that had something important to tell you. A very reachable teacher.

Even though this is my only class with a big-name teacher, I would highly recommend it. At the very least, buy his book or if you can afford it, the DVD on "Close-Range Gunfighting". Some of his techniques are controversial and wouldn't be accepted at IDPA/IPSC but I think are very viable for the real world.
http://www.suarezinternational.com/
http://www.onesourcetactical.com/index.asp
Old March 4, 2007, 10:00 PM   #2
FS2K

thanks for the report smince!

Good to hear you had a great time there, and judging by your excitement, you learned allot.