The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 11, 2004, 02:47 PM   #1
jrfoxx

charter arms model 38 parts

I recently became the owner of a late 70's to early 80's era charter arms model 38 'undercover' origionally owned by my deceased father in law. The main-spring, firing pin and such were removed and lost at some point. i have all the parts except for the mainspring seat. Any leads on where i can get one, (my local gunsmith was unable to find one after 4 months with the gun)or if there is a modern gun with compatable parts, it would be greatly appreciated as this is very sentimental to the wife. Thanks.
Old September 11, 2004, 03:11 PM   #2
Geoff Timm

Have you tried the new Charter Arms, they won't warrantee old guns, but they may repair them or provide parts.

http://www.charterfirearms.com/

Geoff
Who had a .44 once upon a time.
Old September 11, 2004, 03:25 PM   #3
jrfoxx

i tried calling them. They didnt seem to be willing to say whether or not the same part on any of the new charter2000 guns would be compatable. they suggested i consult my local gunsmith. I suppose i could try calling again and ask if i can send it in for them to look at, but seems like a hassle/risk to likely find out they cant/wont help. may have no other option though....
Old September 12, 2004, 07:39 AM   #4
Geoff Timm

jrfoxx replied, "They didnt seem to be willing to say whether or not the same part on any of the new charter2000 guns would be compatable. they suggested i consult my local gunsmith."

Given the current liability climate, which was responsible for the demise of the original Charter Arms Co. I don't blame them. If you have a shop with a resident smith which also has a new Charter in stock it might pay to spend a few bucks and have him look at both guns.

Geoff
Who has seen some small Charters, locally.