The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 14, 2013, 02:14 AM   #1
mjblucci

I'm a better shot just pointing my brand new 1911

So the story goes I traded my 1911 for a compact double action 9mm because I felt impulsively like I needed something "better" and regretted it so much that between a few other transactions I worked my way back down gi alley. Now here's my dilemma. My revolver skills are enough to know that I can squeeze a trigger and not fidget too much when I want to. Also regularly checking my stance an breathing And when I take my NIB 1911 to the range for the first time I'm hitting tight groups with my point and click defensive shooting drills, but when I really get down to business and try to hit my mark, it hits way low and left. Could my trigger squeeze be that rusty for my pistols designed, heavy, single action pull, or might I need to consult a pro on my sights? It's a metro arms American classic G.I. With fixed sights. My old 1911 was used and had adjustable sights.
Old March 14, 2013, 06:50 AM   #2
BillyJack3

I think you already have your answer. When you take your time, adjust your grip and stance, you are right on target. When you get into defensive position and rush through, you are low left. I don't think that's a problem with the 1911.
Old March 14, 2013, 07:42 AM   #3
geetarman

I think BillyJack nailed it.

I also tend to go low and left when rushed. I always have to pay close attention to getting the grip right and then the pull.

Carpe Cerveza
Old March 14, 2013, 11:37 AM   #4
mcb66

Sounds to me like he's describing the exact opposite of y'all are saying. His instinct shooting is spot on but when he tries to take time and aim, he's off.
Old March 14, 2013, 12:10 PM   #5
mjblucci

Exactly. That's why it's such a conundrum. With any other pistol, my careful shots land pretty much where I want them to within a few inches. This one has me puzzled. Perhaps it's the position of my hands when I'm shooting. My bulls eye shooting is eye level and my instinctive drills are more or less placed right in front of my abdomen.
Old March 14, 2013, 04:11 PM   #6
crazy charlie

There's a forum called American Classic 1911 and discussion on Metro Arms.
It sounds to me that you have a pistol with sight problems.
If, when sighting, your groups are tight,but lo left you could try drifting your rear sight to the right until you are under the bull. Then carefully file the rear sight to bring up your point of impact.
I don't know if Metro Arms has a warranty. You could have a warranty covered problem.
Before doing anything let someone else that's a good shot try out your pistol and see if they have the same problem. If they do I would suggest going to the American Classic forum before doing anything to your pistol for some advice.

Tags
.45 , 1911 , troubleshooting