The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 12, 2012, 07:21 PM   #51
rayway

For carry probably a little 38 spl aluminum frame revolver a stainless steel one might defeat the purpose of its small size by being heavy.
Old November 13, 2012, 10:22 AM   #52
JimDandy

Well Gus, I'm about your size. And I carry a full size 1911 Sig Sauer Nightmare. At our size, and IWB, not many reasons to go smaler than 5". Your pants cover the barrel length, and your torso is more than capable of hiding the full size grip. If your hands are like mine, you'd hate the shorter grip on a 3 incher anyway, so unless you have health reasons to carry lighter, get the full size.

I have an IWB holster from Kramer leather. They're a local and internet based business in the Seattle, WA area. There's a company down in FLA that is almost a carbon copy. I went with Kramer for two reasons- Their belt loops screw on.. and I can't get a snap IWB back on comfortably and correctly without fiddling with the belt anyway, so I figured just lock the sucker down, and.. they're local. So web search kramer gun leather, or Florida holster maker if you want. Galco also had a decent IWB horse hide called the Summer Comfort or some such.

http://www.kramerleather.com/product...&categoryID=23

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Prod...ps_black_.html (I think this is the FLA place but can't be 100% sure anymore)

or the Galco one I was talking about

http://www.cabelas.com/holsters-belt...-holster.shtml

Don't forget your gun belt. I have two, a leather one from Gould & Goodrich. cheap but effective on Amazon. The thing was absolutely huge. I got the "right" size for me, and had to punch four more holes in the thing, and I have an Instructor's Belt from Wilderness Tactical... I picked up one of these:

http://www.thewilderness.com/storepi...476&parent=142 with the CSM lining, and absolutely love it to death. I chose Easy Fit because they like to ding you for being larger, and I could slip under that threshhold on easy fit, as well as it just having a larger fit range to make you more confident of getting the right size.

Carrying my nightmare, I've figured out conealabiltiy is more about the stuff you use to carry, rather than what you carry. Though I will admit the fastback grip does help a little... with a standard grip, the corner will poke just a tad more.
Old November 19, 2012, 01:26 PM   #53
dajowi

My last 1911 purchase was a Springfield Armory EMP 9mm. Light, compact, accurate.
Old November 19, 2012, 04:01 PM   #54
SRH78

Quote:
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not...

If not, then from this, I can assume you'd say the 9mm is underpowered as well. 44 Mag is a lot of gun to carry around for almost everyone, and most people would say a Desert Eagle is overrated. If you're trying to make the point that you'd take a long gun over a handgun in a gunfight, well, I'd agree with you there, but I have trouble concealing my Wincester Model 70, my Mossberg 500, and AR.

I'd say that years of ballistics testing and real world street performance would say you're wrong.

Please tell us what you'd recommend, and give me your ballistics testing and real world street performance data, so we can compare it to the two (or three) most popular calibers you think aren't powerful enough.
All service caliber handguns are underpowered. We don't carry them because they are the most effective tool in a gunfight. We carry them because they are convenient. That is the simple truth of it. None of them are "stoppers". They just don't have that kind of power. This isn't Hollywood and people don't just drop dead because of a handgun round to the torso.

Also, I have heard tons of ridiculous claims about what people think a 45 will do. It is z good round but it is absolutely over rated.

Also, there are lots of factors people overlook. How hot is a round loaded? What length barrel? What bullet? What size/weight gun? Shooter skill? When it comes down to it, what matters is the ability to put shots on target quickly and accurately. A rifle would be great but it does no good when you leave it at home. A 9mm that you shoot well and have with you does a lot more good. For that matter, few people will stand there and let you keep shooting them with a 22. Most handgun "stops" are a result of fear and pain, not incapacitation.

Anyway, to say that a 40 or 45 is obviously enough gun but a 9mm isn't is just foolish. That is what I was responding to and as I have said before, anyone who thinks their service cartridge is a stopper should take it take it to the woods and be humbled.
Old November 22, 2012, 07:25 PM   #55
Warrior1256

I'm a .45 fan. I own three of them. There is just something comforting about those "flying ashtray" rounds.