The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 20, 2012, 02:12 PM   #1
hermanpj

Just got my Kimber Super Carry Pro

Friends, I had to have it.

I bought it this morning. The 4 inch barrelled Kimber Super Carry Pro in .45 ACP.
-Stainless steel slide with Kimber ceracote (matte black)
-Aluminum frame with a dull nickel colored coating
-front grip serrations, grip safety serrations, slide top serrations and cocking serraitons ins super carry pattern
-kimber melt treatment, and bobbed handle
-micarta wood laminate grips
-4 inch pro/custom carry barrel and full guide rod
-meprolight tritium night sights w cocking shoulder

Going to the range later today to begin break-in and to practice. Have CHL class in 2 weeks - this will be my exam pistol as well as the gun I carry. Wears very comfortably riding in my Galco King Tux holster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hermans super cary pro v3.jpg (131.3 KB, 148 views)
Old August 20, 2012, 05:32 PM   #2
Ozzieman

Dont be surprised when the Kimber haters come out of the closet and tell you what a bad choice you’ve made.
Me, NICE gun. I have the grandfather of that one and I sure wish I had that sculptured front strap on my Kimber Royal.
It’s going on 15 years and I have no idea how many rounds and the only problem I have had with the gun was from a magazine that was dropped and I didn’t see the bent lips.
Super carry, meet your grandfather, Royal Carry.

Last edited by Ozzieman; October 1, 2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old August 20, 2012, 05:50 PM   #3
sigcurious

Yeah Kimbers suck! Just don't tell mine I said that

That is a fine looking 1911, the bobbed look just grows on me more and more every time I see it.
Old August 20, 2012, 06:17 PM   #4
broncobob

Kimber is A good investment.

I have the same gun,and I love mine,it's an excelent carry gun.
Old August 20, 2012, 06:55 PM   #5
arch308

She's a beauty. Congrats.
Old August 20, 2012, 07:08 PM   #6
LockedBreech

Great-looking pistol, smooth lines and I like the bobtail.
Old August 20, 2012, 10:31 PM   #7
hermanpj

Kick ass Royale, by the way! Great looking gun!

Thanks to the Kimber fans for compliments! The trip to the range got delayed unfortunately. WIll have to sneak out for a couple hours! tomorrow >:-)

I did so much research on this thing - bring on the Kimber haters! There is nothing at the price point (and its not cheap) that comes close to the combination of features and quality. I interviewed 3 gun shop owners, 2 veteran Law Enforcement officers including a former narcotics officer. All of them recommended Kimber. I bought from a guy that I've known since 1994 who would just tell me if I was making a dumb purchase. If anyone is looking for a Kimber, lives in Dallas, and $210 below MSRP sounds good to you, PM me and I'll tell you the shop.

On the haters, I have a Beretta 92FS and it also has it's share of haters, but mine has it has 3000 rounds through it, not a single worn part despite being 18 years old, and literally looks like I just unboxed it. It just seems to keep getting more accurate. If you take care of any high quality gun, clean it immediately after shooting, never load overcharged ammo in it, keep it lubricated, wipe it down after carrying it... simple stuff - then its going to do good by you. Everything else ( i hate this gun or that gun BS) is just drama-queens grand-standing. If my Kimber is half as good as my Beretta (and I expect it to be twice as good) I will never part with it.

Last edited by hermanpj; August 20, 2012 at 10:32 PM. Reason: add
Old August 20, 2012, 11:47 PM   #8
AZGlock13

Congrats on the Super Carry Pro! You'll really enjoy that nice carry 1911.

I have the Super Carry Pro HD (basically the same, except the HD is all black and has a stainless steel frame instead of an Alum. alloy frame). I don't mind carrying the extra weight though. I really like my Kimber.
Old August 21, 2012, 12:55 AM   #9
hermanpj

i nearly did get the HD as well - that is a super nice gun! Something about the look of the regular (non-HD) sold me. I also didn't really care about the weight on the HD - I bet that extra weight helps it shoot great.
Old August 21, 2012, 05:17 PM   #10
hermanpj

Shoots awesome!

I went to the range and shot the 150 rounds... now re-loading so I can go again later this week :-)

First impressions:
1. 0 failures to feed, eject, or fire! I'm sure its still in the "break in" period, but that was impressive. My Colt Officer's model back in the 90s was not that good out of the box.

2. Recoil was much lower than I expected. Slightly more than my 92FS, but not as I remember that Colt.

3. Accuracy was incredible.

I was initially shooting low and to the left. Easy enough to correct by moving point of aim. After first 30 rounds, I talked to the range officer and he watched me shoot instead of loaning me a punch to adjust the sights.

4 things we corrected:
a. Take vision from from back sights to target then come back to seeing the front sight in focus
b. slight correction to position of my second hand in case I was pulling down and left
c. Less right index finger on the trigger (tip only) and keep finger on the trigger (squeeze and hold, don't tap it)
d. Make sure I see the muzzle flash - if not I am blinking at the point of firing and could be moving the muzzle slightly at that point

After those corrections, and with 70 rounds of practice, I was doing much better. Shooting 7-8 shot contiguous groups at 3 and 7 yards, and 2-3 shot contiguous groups at 15 yards with the occasional flier.

Then I got a CHL Qualification target and w my last 50 rounds, easily scored 247/250 points on it. Not saying much about me or my skills - because its not hard to do, but certainly no concerns I will pass the CHL range test w this gun.

Got home and noticed one of the grip screws was a little loose. Took all 4 out and used blue loctite to re-set them.

I also put a tac mag pad on the one magazine that didnt have one because I really liked the positive feeling of engaging the magzine that having the pad allows. Gun looks a little better without these, but mag insertion faster with the pads.

It performed flawlessly, I have to say, and I am really pleased with my purchase.

Last edited by hermanpj; August 22, 2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old August 21, 2012, 08:03 PM   #11
AZGlock13

Glad to hear you did so well with your Kimber. Keep up with the great shooting.
Old August 22, 2012, 09:29 AM   #12
Red Dog

I have about 500 rds on mine and had the same issue with the grip screw
coming loose.

Also the alloy frame is lighter so you will feel it more.
Old August 22, 2012, 09:32 AM   #13
giaquir

Very nice handgun!
Old August 22, 2012, 09:47 AM   #14
Grant D

Sweet looking gun! I want one!
When I took my Texas CHL class everyone was using 9mm's. I used a 3 1/2" barreled 45 auto and was the only one in the class that got a perfect score. Just keep practicing with the silhouette target.
Old August 22, 2012, 12:38 PM   #15
hermanpj

am almost done reloading for another trip to the range :-)... man that gun is fun to shoot!
Old August 22, 2012, 12:58 PM   #16
Venom1956

how much may I ask?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old August 22, 2012, 03:38 PM   #17
Coltman 77

Great looking 1911. Congratulations OP!

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old August 22, 2012, 07:36 PM   #18
hermanpj

It goes for 1579 MSRP. The shop I buy at in Dallas had it for 1424 if paying by credit, and 1369 if paying cash. It came to 1481.95 w tax. First time I ever held 15 $100 bills.

I bought the two other tac mags at cabellas.
Old August 23, 2012, 03:08 PM   #19
coop2564

Awesome and congrats on a great gun, I love my Stainless Target II in 10mm.
Old August 23, 2012, 03:35 PM   #20
Skadoosh

....will you be carrying only ball ammo?
Old August 23, 2012, 06:07 PM   #21
hermanpj

No i am planning to carry 25 rounds of JHP. Will let you all know how it loads. I go back to the range saturday to shoot another 100 of ball and 1 box of jhp. Once i find JHP that feeds perfectly i will run 200 through it and that will finish my break in.
Old August 24, 2012, 08:07 AM   #22
rodfac

Good lookin' piece, hermanpj. A good carry gun I'd opine. Kimbers, in my experience, need a thorough "break-in" to be completely trustworthy. Sound's like you're well on your way in that process. How's the trigger?

One suggestion...Front Sight, the NV based training institute...recommends that you pick up the front sight alone, as soon as it's visible, as the gun comes up into shooting position...ie. change in focus point; no looking at the target, rear sight, only the front sight post.

In a defensive encounter, focus on the front sight alone after the decision to shoot has been made. The target remains in a semi-blur but still visible for sight picture purposes...train 100% of the time in this manner and your groups will improve radically. You'll fight as you train...so train as you want to fight.

Enjoy your new piece...best regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old August 24, 2012, 08:28 AM   #23
hermanpj

I will try that. Thanks for
the advice.

Tags
1911 , kimber , super carry