The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 5, 2015, 11:13 AM   #126
44 AMP
Staff

I would disagree with using the word "grant" re: govt and our rights. The whole concept of natural or unalienable rights is that the rights exist independent of government (or anyone else's) permission or authority.

It is a fine distinction, but these discussions are places where fine distinctions should be made, because they do matter.

Government can neither take away, or give you natural rights. Government can suppress, deny, restrict or empower us exercising a right, so it appears that govt grants the right, but they don't. Of course, governments don't mind us thinking they grant us our right. They don't mind that one bit.

A couple hundred years ago, what many thought was in the best interests of the publick good was the greatest freedom for the individual. Particularly when it came to arms.

Today, many people apparently think differently.
Old January 5, 2015, 12:04 PM   #127
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronl
Politicians stay in office so long that they lose touch with the electorate. More than ever, the need for term limits is evident. Another trend is the accumulation of massive amounts of money by mostly progressive entities, such as Bill Gates, George Soros, Michael Bloomberg, etc. These individuals seem intent on shoving their vision of the future down our throats. Such individuals have control of a large portion of the media, and therefore structure the debate in ways that favor their ideals.
I don't mean to start an extended thread hijack, but I find this statement to be seriously self-contradictory.

In order to get enough name recognition to win a major political campaign when media exposure is crucial and political contributions are becoming increasingly unregulated, a person generally needs at least one of three things:
  1. Pre-existing fame
  2. Personal wealth
  3. Contributions from external benefactor(s)
Set aside #1 and you wind up with two basic categories of people who have a realistic chance of winning political office starting from scratch:
  • The wealthy
  • Those who have pledged fealty to wealthy benefactors
If "they" control the money, and "they" control the media, does it not logically follow that "they" WANT term limits in order to more easily manipulate who is in office?

Keep in mind that I-594 in WA was BOUGHT AND PAID FOR by the wealthy. This factor is becoming increasingly relevant in ALL SORTS of elections.

Last edited by carguychris; January 5, 2015 at 05:11 PM. Reason: reword
Old January 5, 2015, 12:13 PM   #128
buck460XVR

Quote:
I would disagree with using the word "grant" re: govt and our rights. The whole concept of natural or unalienable rights is that the rights exist independent of government (or anyone else's) permission or authority.

It is a fine distinction, but these discussions are places where fine distinctions should be made, because they do matter.
Then it must also come down to whether the rights are God given or birth rights, especially in the case of people who do not believe in a divine creator.

My point is, regardless of the semantics you want to use, folks that live under any form of government, have their rights regulated......period. That is never going to change, regardless of how much folks preach otherwise on internet forums. We see that in the 2nd Amendment already. The amount and type of regulation comes from those in power. We as citizens of the U.S. control those in power for the most part by voting for those that represent our concerns. We are fortunate as this is not how it works in many other societies. One needs to be realistic......Regardless of who you think has granted us those rights, our government will always control those rights. The day they don't, we will have no government. The day we have no government, odds are, gun control will be the least of our worries.
Old January 5, 2015, 01:43 PM   #129
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Keep in mind that I-594 in WA was BOUGHT AND PAID FOR by the wealthy. This factor is becoming increasingly relevant in ALL SORTS of elections.
Keep pointing that out, too. The people who pushed for I-594 are the ones who most frequently gripe about our elections being bought by the "1%."