The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 18, 2014, 12:20 PM   #26
mavracer

Quote:
That said, it is true that poor trigger technique can be masked by a light trigger and highlighted by a heavier pull weight.
Since my son's name isn't Jesus my trigger pull isn't perfect every time, so if I'm trying to make the best shot I can I'd prefer a really good trigger, if I'm just looking for OK accuracy then any old trigger will do.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old December 26, 2014, 08:03 PM   #27
afone1

For a carry weapon, such as my SW 642, the little heavier trigger pull is part of the safety design of the firearm. I read a lot of posts about people wanting lighter triggers, such as the LCR. I really don't want to carry a gun that has that light of a trigger. I'm careful, but why risk an accidental discharge when holstering?
Old January 3, 2015, 10:40 AM   #28
Dashunde

I'm not too fussy about take up, pull weight, reset or total lenght of pull... but I can not stand a gritty, sticky or crunchy trigger.

I really dislike double action pulls too, mostly because of the inconsistent feeling of going from very stiff to really soft.
Old January 13, 2015, 02:19 AM   #29
2afreedom

Life is too short to tolerate the atrocious triggers some manufacturers put on guns. I recently sold a Smith and Wesson Shield because I wasn't interested in spending $100 plus to get a decent trigger pull on the gun, it was a nice gun otherwise though. While I do agree that in an emergency you won't notice the trigger as much, I like to practice with my carry guns. It's hard to want to practice with a gun that has a terrible trigger.
Old January 13, 2015, 07:24 AM   #30
foxytwo

To me getting an expensive trigger kit is not worth it. The stock trigger in most pistols is good to go for carry. If you need to shoot your gun under stress you will never know what the trigger felt like. I shoot targets good enough to satisfy me with any pistol I own, shot competition big bore and small bore for years so I know something about triggers.
Old January 18, 2015, 01:41 AM   #31

Triggers

If squeezing the trigger pulls my aim off the target it's too stiff for me. Missing the target counts in horse shoes and with hand grenades.
Old January 18, 2015, 07:04 AM   #32
testuser79

Quote:
I found just the opposite to be true, especially with heavy recoiling handguns, which led me on the journey of learning how to properly shoot a DA revolver. That in turn, taught me to stop worrying on the trigger, and to lose the trigger phobia.
Agreed! When I first started shooting a DA trigger it was tough for me. Once I learned to properly fire a DA revolver, now none of them are much trouble. The only exception being a S&W Sigma I once shot. The break was weird on that one...didn't care for it.

For autos, my preference has actually become the DA/SA design. No safety necessary and the trigger pull is heavy enough that close attention to holster selection isn't as critical, helpful when the pistol has to be placed in a glovebox or backpack.

Many new shooters can be frustrated when firing a DA revolver or DA/SA pistol, though. Usually, they push the pistol forward, which drops the barrel and sends the round into the dirt.

Last edited by testuser79; January 18, 2015 at 07:13 AM.
Old January 18, 2015, 07:24 AM   #33
hartcreek

I have to take offence on that Nagant comment. I have one that has a nice trigger nice and smooth.
Old January 19, 2015, 09:19 AM   #34
2ndsojourn

"I have to take offence on that Nagant comment."

You're offended by someone's dislike for a heavy trigger pull on their gun?