The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 15, 2014, 02:28 PM   #1
BumbleBug

My rifle "glued" itself to my Gun Safe!

I don't know if this has happened to anyone else but be careful if you have a LimbSaver recoil pad. From reading here in TFL there are many like me that are big fans of the Limbsaver pads because they REALLY WORK when it comes to reducing recoil. I installed one on my prize .270 & I loved it. Today when I got the rifle out of my gun safe I noticed my rifle was "glued" to the floor & after pulling it loose the logo on the pad was partially dissolved! My safe is lined with a sort of foam covered in a layer of gray mole-skin like material. Looks like I'll have to remove it or cover the floor. Hope this warning helps someone.

The picture of the pad is poor. It is actually black but you can see the smearing. I still like the LS pad but I'll be more careful of what I set it on.

...bug
Old August 15, 2014, 03:15 PM   #2
g.willikers

One of those on a shotgun did the same thing.
But just on the tip part, where it had been sitting for quite awhile, with the weight of the gun on that section of the pad.
It seems to be permanently gooey, now.
It's an otherwise excellent pad for reducing recoil, so I left it on.
Old August 15, 2014, 04:19 PM   #3
Doyle

I'd heard that was a really big problem with their early production. I don't know if they have solved it with their current production.
Old August 15, 2014, 05:47 PM   #4
mete

Some rubber ,especially foam has the nasty habit of deteriorating in time .Often it seems to happen suddenly. It can get sticky, fall apart ,start to smell badly !! The first I saw of this was foam seats in cars would turn into yellow powder back in the 50s and 60s.
Do we have any chemists to explain this ??
Old August 21, 2014, 09:38 AM   #5
Clark

I know rubber bands deteriorate in air.

I buy lots of old cheap beat up guns at gun shows, and lots of old recoil pads are deteriorated.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old August 21, 2014, 10:02 AM   #6
jimbob86

Not surprising with the solvents offgassing in a confined space.....

I store my rifles muzzle down.
Old August 21, 2014, 10:13 AM   #7
4thPoint

Quote:
Some rubber ,especially foam has the nasty habit of deteriorating in time .Often it seems to happen suddenly. It can get sticky, fall apart ,start to smell badly !! The first I saw of this was foam seats in cars would turn into yellow powder back in the 50s and 60s.
Do we have any chemists to explain this ??
Not an explanation but more anecdotal evidence...

I used to do data cabling and often had to use safety-toe shoes on new construction. I hadn't worn one pair in 4-5 years so they just sat in the back of the closet like any other unworn pair. One day, I had to go to a new job site and put on the shoes.

After about 30 minutes on site they began to feel funny, I thought some electrical tape had balled up and gotten stuck or something. Nope... the soles of the shoes (Redwings, a premium brand) were literally disintegrating as I walked. I wrapped what was left in electrical tape and suffered until lunch when I took the rest of the day off to get them repaired.

The soles had never been exposed to any chemicals any other shoes would never see, there wasn't really any explanation other than 'old age' that could be made for what had happened.
Old August 21, 2014, 03:02 PM   #8
gyvel

Sounds more like a chemical reaction between whatever foam (and whatever oils it contains) you have in your safe and compounds used in the pad. Rubber compounds are funny that way.
SIFE
Old August 21, 2014, 03:10 PM   #9
Doyle

I keep telling people but they don't believe me - it isn't something you have done wrong and it isn't something abnormal in your safe. Google "Limbsaver pads melting" and you'll see lots of people having the same issue. Limbsaver simply put out a product that self-destructs. I do not know if they have corrected the problem or not.
Old August 21, 2014, 09:19 PM   #10
Clark

I have read, years ago, about rubber self destructing, and there were two schools of thought:
1) Low vapor pressure oils in the rubber are evaporating.
2) Ozone in the air is attacking the rubber.

In either case, you don't want the rubber exposed to the atmosphere.
So rubber bands are kept in a plastic bag or a jar.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old August 21, 2014, 09:39 PM   #11
A400 Fan

Looks like you don't take that gun out of the safe often enough and shoot it!...

Sometimes it helps to rotate things around to prevent them from getting like that
Old August 22, 2014, 08:27 PM   #12
Clark

Many years ago they sold something like a short nail to put in the recoil pad screw hole to support the weight of the rifle or shotgun when stored butt down.
Old August 25, 2014, 01:39 PM   #13
johnwaterman100

ah yikes. Sorry to hear that, but thanks for the heads up. I will watch out from now on.
Old August 27, 2014, 10:49 AM   #14
chiefr

I have read, years ago, about rubber self destructing, and there were two schools of thought:
1) Low vapor pressure oils in the rubber are evaporating.
2) Ozone in the air is attacking the rubber.

+1
Even worse are when plastics are exposed to the full spectrum of the sun. Photons, electrons, and associated particles easily knock off electrons in plastics thus they deteriorate.
Old August 30, 2014, 10:01 PM   #15
Clark

As I enter old age, I am looking more like the OP's recoil pad